• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Apple Product Announcement Thread 2021

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So, what are we thinking about the new iPhones that Apple is announcing next week? The rumor sites are expecting new iPhone 13's in various sizes, along with a new Apple Watch.

I kinda miss the old Steve Jobs era keynotes, where he would announce "One more thing" that was unexpected. That doesn't seem to happen anymore, but maybe Apple will stun us with an electric self-driving car this year. :)

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It won't be a gigantic upgrade if you're coming from the iPhone 12 (or even an iPhone 11 Pro), but it'll be more compelling than last year's model if the rumors are true. A 120Hz always-on display and a smaller notch aren't that new on a basic level, but if you've been itching for those on an iPhone? Great. Also curious to see how sensor-shift stabilization, autofocusing ultra-wide and other camera upgrades work in practice.

I'm hoping to upgrade from an iPhone XS, so this also represents a catch-up on many other features (5G, UWB, ultra-wide cam and more).

As for presentations... Apple occasionally does "one more thing," but often shies away due to both the modern era (where leaks spoil the fun) and not wanting to simply rehash what Jobs did.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
As for presentations... Apple occasionally does "one more thing," but often shies away due to both the modern era (where leaks spoil the fun) and not wanting to simply rehash what Jobs did.
I'd argue that Tim Cook is a more cowardly CEO than Steve Jobs was, and Apple simply doesn't release brand new groundbreaking products anymore.

If a more aggressive CEO like Elon Musk had access to Apple's 200 Billion dollar bank account, we'd probably have self-driving electric cars on Mars by now :)

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'd argue that Tim Cook is a more cowardly CEO than Steve Jobs was, and Apple simply doesn't release brand new groundbreaking products anymore.

If a more aggressive CEO like Elon Musk had access to Apple's 200 Billion dollar bank account, we'd probably have self-driving electric cars on Mars by now :)
I wouldn't call him cowardly so much as just what he is: an expert COO promoted to CEO. He's great at subtle refinements and optimizing production, but he's not a visionary like Jobs was. Very few CEOs are.

I'd say the Apple Watch and AirPods have been groundbreaking, just not on the same level as the iPod or iPhone. They both reshaped their respective categories, prompting a large part of the industry to follow suit — they just didn't produce a sea change in tech as a whole.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
New iPhones sound pretty good this time. Probably going to get a 13 Pro to upgrade from my XR. VRR, OLED, battery life, form factor and camera improvements .. should be a nice improvement all combined.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
New iPhones sound pretty good this time. Probably going to get a 13 Pro to upgrade from my XR. VRR, OLED, battery life, form factor and camera improvements .. should be a nice improvement all combined.
I'm in the same boat, now that I know what's involved. Wish Apple had introduced an always-on display, but coming from an XS just about everything will be significantly better. I'm most interested in macro shooting — I don't want to use the telephoto lens every time I want to get close to a subject!

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I'm in the same boat, now that I know what's involved. Wish Apple had introduced an always-on display, but coming from an XS just about everything will be significantly better. I'm most interested in macro shooting — I don't want to use the telephoto lens every time I want to get close to a subject!
Yeah that will be pretty neat! Looking forward to seeing how much closer this thing gets to me to my Fuji mirrorless with a thousand bucks worth of lens on it. I know it will never match it thanks to physics but a more capable camera that’s always with me is welcome.

Carrier deals are already up: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/carrier-offers

Nothing there that makes it worthwhile to switch off my $40 ATT prepaid plan so guess I’m trading in my XR for $200 and buying it outright.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The new iPhone 13 models don't seem all that exciting, they're basically a spec bump from last year's model. Hell, they didn't even get rid of the camera notch like most Android phones did last year!

That said, my iPhone XR battery is going bad and 5G network coverage is finally available in my area. It's probably time to upgrade. I'd want the 256 GB model (I only have 40 GB left on my 128 GB phone), so that's going to cost me $900. Grr.

Maybe it's time for an honest iPhone commercial... "The new iPhone... it's nothing new and it costs too damn much, but you're too lazy to switch to Android at this point. Pony up, sucker" :)

So, what color are you going for? I kinda like the blue one.

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Blue for me for sure :)

Just realized that the pro max variants are actually only marginally wider (~1/3 inch) than my current XR and pretty much the same in the other two dimensions thanks to a much more minimal border. Think I’ll go for the big size this time, knowing that!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
The new iPhone 13 models don't seem all that exciting, they're basically a spec bump from last year's model. Hell, they didn't even get rid of the camera notch like most Android phones did last year!

That said, my iPhone XR battery is going bad and 5G network coverage is finally available in my area. It's probably time to upgrade. I'd want the 256 GB model (I only have 40 GB left on my 128 GB phone), so that's going to cost me $900. Grr.

Maybe it's time for an honest iPhone commercial... "The new iPhone... it's nothing new and it costs too damn much, but you're too lazy to switch to Android at this point. Pony up, sucker" :)

So long as the 'camera' notch also contains the IR emitter for FaceID (and all the other components), there's only so small that they can shrink it. Maybe they can eventually do like the Fold 3 and hide it behind the OLED panel?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So long as the 'camera' notch also contains the IR emitter for FaceID (and all the other components), there's only so small that they can shrink it. Maybe they can eventually do like the Fold 3 and hide it behind the OLED panel?
That's rumored to be the plan. Next year's model will supposedly adopt a hole-punch camera, and presumably the rest is either hidden under the screen or tucked in what little bezel is left.

manly

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
New iPad already $30 off:

Should be around $270ish for Black Friday if you can wait. The storage bump is great and the A13 is a 2019 flagship SoC. They did gimp it with just 3GB of RAM.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS