Apple dumps NVidia from the Macbook Pro

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
Emm,in non synthetic image or video benchmarks the GTX750TI is not really faster though. Thats what the MBP is going to be used for though. Not rendering and not for gaming generally. That is not who they are targeting with a MBP. Its people doing imaging and video work.

The OS X version of Adobe CS moved to OpenCL first,and there are more officially supported AMD cards now than Nvidia ones.

Ultimately with support for OpenCL 2.0 mentioned before,it make sense from the perspective of Apple to go with AMD even if gaming performance is not the best,especially if the OpenCL tools are better optimised for AMD cards and AMD is willing to sell them a lower cost GPU.

Depends greatly on the test.

I'm not an expect but I believe most users who do that type of work are using something like Final Cut Pro not Sony Vegas Pro.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Depends greatly on the test.

I'm not an expect but I believe most users who do that type of work are using something like Final Cut Pro not Sony Vegas Pro.

It uses OpenCL too. The same goes with Adobe CS - there are videos of Adobe and AMD talking about the addition of OpenCL based acceleration. I even remember in one of the Anandtech reviews a while back that Nvidia had stated OpenCL isn't a priority to them - not surprising as CUDA is what they want to push and not OpenCL. Plus as indicated earlier if AMD is supporting a later verision of OpenCL with its midrange and low end parts then there is another reason there. AMD has been pushing OpenCL for far longer than Nvidia,and so has Intel more recently. Nvidia really would not want to denigrate CUDA adoption in the consumer space especially with the amount of time and effort they have spent in pushing it,but things might change.

Even look at Tonga - one of the areas it did improve quite a bit seems to be OpenCL performance,which makes me think Apple had some say in its specifications.

Anyway,that's my opinion on things currently.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Apple would be way better off with GTX 960M (~60W) than R9 M370X (~55W).

Thankfully if you can sacrifice a little bit of CPU performance and 50% of the battery life, you can get $2499 MacPro beating specs in a $1499-1799 laptop, with aluminum construction, 4.5-5 lbs weight and a 4K screen.

ASUS ROG G501JW-DS71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop - $1699
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz Processor
16 GB DDR3 RAM
512 GB Solid-State Drive, Samsung 951 PCIE x 4
15.6-Inch Screen IPS UHD (3840 x 2160)
NVIDIA GTX960M 4G GDDR5
Windows 8.1
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G501JW/

fg00.png

Or if you don't care for the 4GB GDDR5, you can get the non-branded version of the same laptop with a 10-point 4K touch screen for $1499.

fg01.png

fg01.png

Still same 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe x4 SSD. :biggrin:

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ZenBook_Pro_UX501/

Summary: Even if MacbookPro had 960M, it would still be almost $1000 overpriced. :hmm: (On paper specs. Obviously some people place more value on OSX vs. Windows, Macs have higher resale value and some students need 9 hours of battery life over a 960M).

If gaming is a priority, there are other laptops like MSI GS60 with 970M or Gigabyte P35X v3 with a 980M. No one would be sane enough to buy a $2500 Macbook Pro with Cape Verde for games! One doesn't buy an Apple laptop for games.

Last edited:

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
Buying a laptop for games at all...

I think it's great that Apple is using more AMD graphics cards, I had one in my old iMac and it worked really well for what it was. AMD's weakness was always their image of being the lower quality product, which is where the whole "Dell uses Intel not AMD" comes from.

Now that Apple are using more and more AMD products, this image could change for the general public.

Also, anyone who complains about the price of the macbook pros are fooling themselves. Apple sell plenty of these laptops at this price, why would they lower it?

Here's to hoping that the the new Mac Pro comes out soon with dual full-fledged desktop Fiji based graphics cards. This should really help with Hackintosh support for these new cards too.

Kind of sad that AMD doesn't support their products much outside of Windows, both Linux and OSX don't get very good driver support at all.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Also, anyone who complains about the price of the macbook pros are fooling themselves. Apple sell plenty of these laptops at this price, why would they lower it?

That's kinda the point here. Even if Apple put 960M into the laptop, it would still be overpriced compared to a similarly equipped gaming laptop PC. Apple could have literally added a GPU 5% faster than 750M and it would still have sold well at $2500 because people who buy $2500 Macbook Pros aren't buying them for games (well hopefully they aren't if they are tech savvy). By Apple choosing AMD during a generation where NV's Maxwell cards are clearly superior for gaming and from a perf/watt point of view for laptops, it gives them leverage over NV's price bids come 14nm/16nm GPUs since NV won't think "Oh Jeez, we got this in the bank."

By Apple picking the older and outdated AMD product, it throws a massive curve ball to NV and gives Apple the bargaining power when it comes to choosing suppliers. The other side-effect is that Apple can probably get more favourable pricing from AMD's products since AMD is willing to accept lower margins, and this helps Apple's bottom line, while providing AMD with whatever scraps of Revenue they can get these days. Apple might actually be thinking long-term by helping AMD to ensure that 2 competitors survive. Otherwise, if AMD goes under, NV could jack up the prices on Apple in the future when it comes to dGPUs.

Last edited:

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
For the posters fretting about the 85 watt power brick limit, realize that Apple -for years- have been designing macbook pro with dGPU's that easily consume more than what their power bricks can put out. The deficit is made up by the battery. I first noticed this effect on my 2009 macbook pro 15 when I took the battery out when gaming, the CPU/GPU throttled! I also see this effect on my rMBP as when I game demanding titles like DAI on it (it does run albeit with all the goodies turned off and at a low res) the battery is being slowly drained even when plugged in.

As for me, I'm skipping this update, not enough to warrant the $1500 hit I would take after I sell my 2012 rMBP 15 model.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Looks solid, but its odd that the 370x is GCN 1.0? Anyone else think that's weird?

From the article:

As usual, it’s hard to tell what kind of GPU you’re getting just from the model number. GPU makers remain particularly brazen about giving existing GPUs some small clock speed bumps and then rebranding them as all-new products, and, despite its shiny new R9 300-series moniker, this GPU is actually a 28nm part based on AMD’s three-year-old Cape Verde core. This GCN 1.0 core has also been a part of the HD 7000, HD 8000, and Rx 200 series, so calling it “new” is a bit of a stretch. Like the 2013 and 2014 Pros, it includes 2GB of dedicated GDDR5 RAM.

Edit: Non web-browsing battery life looks similar, or a little worse. Will be interesting to see how this compares to the NV version with the GPU usage high (gaming, etc.).

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Are we sure this is not a Glofo respun version of cape verde?

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
Are we sure this is not a Glofo respun version of cape verde?

Its plain jane cape verde.

Looking at the other benchmarks...Um...Yay?

Pretty much none of those graphics tests are relevant, and nothing compares it to the alternative 850m/950m.

Also have to consider it a bit of a fail that they didn't use broadwell.

https://compubench.com/device.jsp?b...0 Ti&did=20936894&D=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

750 Ti gets 820/520 on ocean/particle. Cut down 30% to fit in the 15" pro and you would get 574/364 which is still better than cape verde.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Its plain jane cape verde.

Looking at the other benchmarks...Um...Yay?

Pretty much none of those graphics tests are relevant, and nothing compares it to the alternative 850m/950m.

Also have to consider it a bit of a fail that they didn't use broadwell.

https://compubench.com/device.jsp?b...0 Ti&did=20936894&D=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

750 Ti gets 820/520 on ocean/particle. Cut down 30% to fit in the 15" pro and you would get 574/364 which is still better than cape verde.

Yeah. The article is underwhelming, at best. I am waiting for a more detailed review from AT (which I am sure will come, since its a new Apple product ;))

It's too bad these didn't get the new 5xxx mobiles. This looks like a short-lived update to the MBP. The fall version looks to be a much better buy with an updated CPU as well.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Turns out that Apple does, in fact, know what they are doing.

Need real world gaming and more OpenCL benchmarks. Either way 370X is a dud when other manufacturers are putting 960M and even 970M into a similar sized chassis. If I were buying a MBP, I personally wouldn't even care what discrete GPU it had since Macs are garbage for gaming anyway and it's not fast enough as a workstation replacement. I would just feel I am getting ripped off when other PC laptops that cost $700-1000 less have similar specs.

Also with Broadwell i7 quad-HTs and soon Skylake to make their way into laptops in Q3-Q4 2015, this mid-2015 MBP is a spec let down no matter how we look at it - both the CPU and GPUs they used are outdated tech in 2015.

With i7-5700HQ making its way into laptops already, Apple could have waited 2 more months to launch a more proper MBP successor with a 960M and Broadwell. Besides that uber fast Samsung PCIe x4 SSD, the current MBP has barely improved in specs in the last 2 years.

Last edited:

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...the-nvidia-750m.1883810/page-12#post-21358516

Looking at some gaming benches posted there, now I'm wondering if isn't 1.2 with memory bandwidth improvements.

CoH2 Performance Test, Medium, low AA;
M370X - 33.6FPS 76.56%
750M - 19.03FPS

High, low AA;
M370X - 26.41FPS 69.67%
750M - 15.57FPS

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/15-m370x-benchmarked.1887224/

and,

http://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/37pite/got_the_rmbp_15_amd_radeon_r9_here_are_some/

Last edited:

BryanC

Jan 7, 2008
No

They got higher gaming and Open CL performance compared to 750M. Simple as that.

GM107 would have been much, much better than Cape Verde. It's sad that Apple no longer chooses the best components, but chooses the cheapest ones.