Apple CPUs "just margins off" desktop CPUs - Anandtech

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

name99

Sep 11, 2010
Yes indeed!
WebXPT 2015 looks better for Kirin 980 in Mate 20 334 vs 347 for Iphone. My Core i7/ 8700 is at 431 using Chrome 69 as Mate 20

WebXPRT is an EXPERIENCE benchmark, it is NOT a CPU benchmark. It's not even a very good SYSTEM benchmark.
What do I mean by this? Well if I run WebXPRT on my iMac Pro, I see that the maximum CPU load it ever hits is 30%. Not 30% of the 16 hyperthreads, 30% of ONE CPU! And much of the time its CPU load is much lower, at 3%.
This is NOT a benchmark for how fast the CPU can do anything; it's, I don't know, a benchmark of how well an Google apps type app will behave, something that executes a lot of JS, but also spends a lot of time waiting on the network and waiting for disk and waiting for god knows what else.

Compare with running Jetstream which IS a CPU benchmark (sorta...) That always pegs the CPU at something slightly above 100% (precisely how much above depends on just how good a job the browser and OS do of offloading some calls to background work). Jetstream is not a perfect CPU benchmark either, in the sense that it is offloading SOME work to a second (sometimes even a third) core, so if you were to run it on a single or even a dual core system, that would be, in some sense, slightly unfair. But given that, as a practical matter, everyone's running it in at least two core systems (usually plus hyperthreading or with some small cores) it's hard to get two upset about this --- a Jetstream number is a *reasonable* approximation to the single threaded performance of the actual systems on which it's tested. Not so with WebXPRT.

I honestly don't care enough to figure out the WebXPRT details; I started reading through the white papers they provide and the stupidity level just made my brain hurt, so I wasn't interested in continuing. The only part that matters is that this is nothing CLOSE to a useful CPU benchmark, so
(a) I'm not interested in it and
(b) you only make yourself look like a fool by citing it as some sort of evidence in any discussion of CPUs.

Martm

Oct 27, 2018
The discussion on how well Apple A12 performs relative to Intel latest x64, have not that much looked into bench-marking Windows on ARM, e.g. latest performance of Windows on Snapdragon 850 (see for instance https://liliputing.com/2018/10/sams...gon-850-is-a-small-step-in-the-direction.html ). What do you think we could learn from these performance measurements? Does it say something new regarding cross platform performance bench marking methodology? What could we deduce from these measurements to possible Mac running OS X on Apple A12?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The discussion on how well Apple A12 performs relative to Intel latest x64, have not that much looked into bench-marking Windows on ARM, e.g. latest performance of Windows on Snapdragon 850 (see for instance https://liliputing.com/2018/10/sams...gon-850-is-a-small-step-in-the-direction.html ). What do you think we could learn from these performance measurements? Does it say something new regarding cross platform performance bench marking methodology? What could we deduce from these measurements to possible Mac running OS X on Apple A12?
Really Microsoft's fault that Windows ARM apps have been held back:
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/11/18/windows-10-arm-app-creation-tools/

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
I found a link on techreport http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-ipad-pro-returned-24-hours-later-2018-11

So unless apple puts the A1X to a desktop operating system it wont get the attention it deserves
I find this review ridiculous. Unless Apple is claiming you don't need a laptop anymore when you have a tablet... And even then it would be stupid to believe such a claim.

A friend of mine is designer and is using an iPad Pro for his job, doing 3d sketches with the pen. For the final steps he exports everything to his MacBook Pro. That definitely is a pro use of an iPad. As a complementary tool to a device with a keyboard and a mouse.

EDIT: I forgot to say I nonetheless agree with your conclusion that a device with a real operating system is definitely needed :)

Last edited:
Reactions: name99

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
There's a reason Apple's stock is in the toilet. Their prices are absurd like intel.
Intel has to be worried because they offer inferior technology for insane prices.
Apple has to be worried for the same reason. The only saving grace is IOS and MacOSx. Their hardware is stupidly priced and It seems people are growing tired of this on the consumption side. I buy their laptops because they have the best package. I run it for about 5 years and then move on. Phones I run for 6+ years. Nothing else apple makes has value.

Reactions: amd6502

name99

Sep 11, 2010
https://youtu.be/tUQK7DMys54
"Apple: 5 reasons iPad Pro can be your next computer"

NEXT computer does not imply your ONLY computer. I don't understand why people can't get this. The ad is about "here's what iPad does well, so you could use it for that", it's not about "here's how iPad does everything imaginable in the computing universe".

Apple's computing model is that you have a personal compute cluster of MANY devices (watch, phone, tablet, laptop) each optimized for a certain class of work. Nowhere is there any claim that one of these crowds out all the others --- that's the precise OPPOSITE of what Apple is targeting!

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
NEXT computer does not imply your ONLY computer. I don't understand why people can't get this. The ad is about "here's what iPad does well, so you could use it for that", it's not about "here's how iPad does everything imaginable in the computing universe".

Apple's computing model is that you have a personal compute cluster of MANY devices (watch, phone, tablet, laptop) each optimized for a certain class of work. Nowhere is there any claim that one of these crowds out all the others --- that's the precise OPPOSITE of what Apple is targeting!
You are right. Apple does. But the apple fan base and the reviewer sites don't. They are comparing the ipad pro to the full grade laptops or surface pro because it offers comparable (or now even higher) benchmark performance.
I personally like the apple approach. But for me they lack the mobile device. You have mobile phone, then ipad, then MacBook (air,pro) and the mac? why 4 instead of 3. And as apple is expensive it is even more visible.
I would like to have one mobile phone, one mobile device and one powerful desktop.
I have a surface pro 4 and the device is excellent as a computer, but failed miserably as a tablet with windows 10 (my old ipad 4 is better as a tablet)