APNewsBreak: Israel halts east Jerusalem building

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Sadly IHV an irrelevant argument, when Israel as a whole has still not come to grips of a process of giving the disputed land back or being a real peace partner. While at the same time looking the other way as Israel continue to settle on disputed lands, and in so doing making any Israeli concessions politically impossible.

Maybe you're right, but do you disagree with what I said?

YOU claimed the settler parties control the government (not true) and that they support a strike against Iran (very not true).

DISAGREE?!

Don't move on to another tangent.

We're talking about nukes and Iran, not land disputes.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hamas received $250 million from Iran, Israel got $3 billion from us.

I don't want Iran supporting Hamas, but it isn't shocking that they do. Israel sees itself in a war, I assume Hamas does too.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Thing is, though, Hamas is not a Country. this money doesnt go into making people's lives better. in fact, it goes into making people's lives worse.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thing is, though, Hamas is not a Country. this money doesnt go into making people's lives better. in fact, it goes into making people's lives worse.

which people ? Do f16s and bunker busters make life better or worse for people ?

btw, I think Hamas would like to be a country, or part of one.

Israel didn't used to be country, do you know how they became one ? Was that ok ?

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Sadly IHV an irrelevant argument, when Israel as a whole has still not come to grips of a process of giving the disputed land back or being a real peace partner. While at the same time looking the other way as Israel continue to settle on disputed lands, and in so doing making any Israeli concessions politically impossible.

As I have told you before, there are only two ways forward now, either a viable Palestinian state or a internationally enforced plan to have Israel assimilate Palestinians with full voting rights into the larger State of Israel.

When have the Palestinians tried to be a real peace partner. They do not have the will not the political leadership to do so.

You want Israel to make concessions - what concessions have the Palestinians offered up for peace?

The Palestinians turned town viable states previously - wanting it all.
What are they offering now?

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
which people ? Do f16s and bunker busters make life better or worse for people ?

btw, I think Hamas would like to be a country, or part of one.

Israel didn't used to be country, do you know how they became one ? Was that ok ?
Hamas may like to have a country - Israel.

Hamas does not want to have a viable peace with Israel - to do so would kill their funding from their parents.

Israel became a country and was attacked immediately by its very neighbors trying to destroy it.

Hamas is a outgrowth of that policy.

If the Palestinians actually wanted to act like a country; they might get the opportunity. Up to now, they have shown that they do not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Hamas does not want to have a viable peace with Israel - to do so would kill their funding from their parents.

Israel became a country and was attacked immediately by its very neighbors trying to destroy it.

If the Palestinians actaully wanted to act like a country; they might get the opportunity. Up to now, they have shown that they do not.

Does Israel want peace with Hamas ?

You didn't answer my question, do you know how Israel became a country ? Was that method ok ?

You fault Hamas for acting like a nation when they aren't, if you know the history of Israel and support it, you should know that isn't a valid criticism.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

If the Palestinians actually wanted to act like a country; they might get the opportunity. Up to now, they have shown that they do not.

You didn't answer my question, do you know how Israel became a country ? Was that method OK ?

You fault Hamas for acting like a nation when they aren't, if you know the history of Israel and support it, you should know that isn't a valid criticism.
You didn't answer my question, do you know how Israel became a country ? Was that method OK ?
Synopsis:
Israel was an outgrowth of actions after the end of WWI when the area was originally Palestine (land from the Turks - wrong side of WWI)

When the Brits dropped the ball in their responsibilities of administering the area, the Jews wanted their own nation outside the Brits.

After WWII, the UN granted such status and then split the area of Palestine into Israel and land administered by the Arab nations until it was felt that the Arab people living in the area were ready for statehood. (Note that the Arabs did nto request for the Arab section to be granted statehood).

Upon Israel statehood; the surrounding Arab nations w/ some Palestinian Arabs attacked and tried to destroy Israel on the second day.

Arabs got their asses kicked and subsequent attempts by some of the same Arab nations over the next 25+ years had the same happen. Each time, Israel was outnumbered and able to force the Arabs to cry for help from the UN and make false promises to leave Israel alone. Each time, Israel took control of land that the Arabs attacked from and kept that land as a security/trip wire buffer.

The Palestinians were abandoned by the Arabs and have since been used as cannon fodder for egos that hate the Jews.

The Palestinians have also chosen to continue the fight against Israel rather than trying to live side by side.

As a consequence, they were chased out of the area by Israel multiple times and also by Jordan. Both Jordan and Egypt do not want them due to the trouble that they have caused. Rather than absorb them; they put them into areas that were under their control and kept the Palestinians segregated from the rest of the Arab country.

When Israel conquered that territory, Israel inherited the problems. Egypt and Jordan were very willing to wash their hands of those troubles.

Peace is a two way street.

Israel has lived in an uneasy peace with the Palestinians and Arabs previously.

When Hamas has left Israel alone, Israel has left the Palestinians in Gaza alone.

An issue is the Hamas charter declares a non-peace with Israel.
Hamas leadership espouses actions against Israel.

A true peace will be when the Hamas controlled areas officially accept Israel as a country and neighbor and are willing to ensure that Israel will not be attacked from their territory.

Peace who knows - but Israel would like at least to be left alone and have nothing to fear from the Palestinians attacking their citizens with any type of weapons.

A people that continue to attack and refuse to acknowledge the existence and/or right of a nation are questionable if they deserve to be a nation.

The Balitcs had problems separating, but they at least acknowledged that the other group could exist, just not in their territory (ethnic cleansing which was condemned).

Here, the Palestinians do not want to acknowledge Israel; they send suicide bombers to attack civilian areas.

They want to be accorded the privileges of being a nation without the responsibilities of such.

A child is not expected to act as an adult not do they get the privileges of an adult; partly because they can not handle the responsibilities of an adult.

When the child wants to be an adult; they have to play by the adult rules.

The Palestinians at present want to cherry pick which rules they wish to obey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Hamas received $250 million from Iran, Israel got $3 billion from us.

I don't want Iran supporting Hamas, but it isn't shocking that they do. Israel sees itself in a war, I assume Hamas does too.

Uh?

So because Israel is bigger and stronger than Hamas, it somehow makes the state morally inferior?

Al-Qaeda's annual budget is a fraction of Hamas - and it goes against 600+ billion annual American defense budget.

Does that somehow "make sense?"

Israel has needs. It has Hezbollah in the North, it has to police the West Bank and Gaza border, it has Hamas in the south, and Fatah hacks in the east.

If our country was surrounded by billion+ dollar Iranian proxies on our border, with missiles pointed at our city - you think the Left would be all, "Oh, it all makes sense Iran supports them."

Ugh.

Lemon Loser has yet to respond to my original post.

then again...you can't expect much from a poster who claims Al-Jazeera is pro-Israel.