AP Newsbreak: Gore to endorse Dean, sources say

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: SuperTool
http://primera.tamu.edu/internet/nren-bill.html
(d) DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECTS AGENCY RESPONSIBILITY.--As
part of the Program, the Department of Defense, through the
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, shall support research
and development of advanced fiber optics technology, switches,
and protocols needed to develop the Network.

In case charrison is forgetting how we got from darpanet to the internet

The only problem is, the internet was already available to the public then.

Not exactly. Commercial entites didn't really have access or incentive to use it for commercial purposes until the HPCA of 91, and the whole thing didn't really take off until the web exploded. What was that 1993/94?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

Not really, not the way it is today. It was initially available only for government, educational, military, research, and other non-commercial purposes. This was taken seriously. While the lines were drawn pretty liberally, there were lines, and companies that crossed them were subject to censure and even disconnection. The Internet didn't really become anything more than a playground for researchers and computer nerds until the government reversed course and began encouraging commercial use and investment.

That is partly true, but all the peices of the internet were in place. He did not create the internet. The bill he helped passed did help the internet, but it did not create it.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Has anyone considered/wondered why Gore isn't supporting his ex-running mate? Seems to me that if Gore thought he was a good pick in 2000 he might still think he's a good pick for President.

food for thought.

CkG

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Has anyone considered/wondered why Gore isn't supporting his ex-running mate? Seems to me that if Gore thought he was a good pick in 2000 he might still think he's a good pick for President.

food for thought.

CkG

Probably because Lieberman is more painful to listen to than he is. ;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think Gore should quietly run as an independent write in candidate so in case there's a recount in Florida, the Supreme Coup can give the election to him.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

Not really, not the way it is today. It was initially available only for government, educational, military, research, and other non-commercial purposes. This was taken seriously. While the lines were drawn pretty liberally, there were lines, and companies that crossed them were subject to censure and even disconnection. The Internet didn't really become anything more than a playground for researchers and computer nerds until the government reversed course and began encouraging commercial use and investment.

That is partly true, but all the peices of the internet were in place. He did not create the internet. The bill he helped passed did help the internet, but it did not create it.

I'll chime in here so you can see why I am so passionate about the issue. I contend it was a Technological Evolution, NOT Political as Gore or any other Political idiot would suggest. I was personally in touch with thousands of BBS operators around the Country because I was working on Modem designs. The move was to take the BBS's from Text to Graphics via what was becoming known as "The Web". This coincided with the push for higher speed and to address the issue of a "Port for every User" which was a key issue of holding the Online movement back.

The Epitnomy example of this problem was when the AOL Modem racks were swamped and so many people could not log in.

The push was to get off the racks, increase speed especially for graphics and get the TCIP Protocol stack going.

But go ahead and keep giving Gore the credit.
rolleye.gif

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

food for thought.

CkG

Probably because Lieberman is more painful to listen to than he is. ;)

agreed...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: JoeBaD
I wonder if SuperTool got his name from some shower room encounter with Moonbeam :)

Not to worry, with some therapy such thoughts will leave you alone. They are a compulsive defense against your own feelings of inadequacy and will cease as you shake off the damage done you. Good luck to you.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I'll chime in here so you can see why I am so passionate about the issue. I contend it was a Technological Evolution, NOT Political as Gore or any other Political idiot would suggest. I was personally in touch with thousands of BBS operators around the Country because I was working on Modem designs. The move was to take the BBS's from Text to Graphics via what was becoming known as "The Web". This coincided with the push for higher speed and to address the issue of a "Port for every User" which was a key issue of holding the Online movement back.

The Epitnomy example of this problem was when the AOL Modem racks were swamped and so many people could not log in.

The push was to get off the racks, increase speed especially for graphics and get the TCIP Protocol stack going.

But go ahead and keep giving Gore the credit.
rolleye.gif

Come on Dave, let it go already. Gore didn't claim he "invented" the Internet, he meant that he steered some legislation to push the Internet (formerly known as DarpaNet) into the public domain. You're getting all up in arms over nothing. Lots of people had a role in the conversion of the Internet into a mainstream tool for the masses. So, no Gore does not deserve credit for "inventing" the Internet, but he deserves some credit for seeing the value of the Internet in the hands of Americans and pushing some legislation to help it happen. At least moreso than other politicians.