AP-GfK poll: Obama approval hits 60 percent

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Craig, it IS a fabrication. Bush NEVER said those words and to use it like he did is to create something that does not exist.

No different than me creating Obama's quotes for political purposes.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
When I read something in "quotes", I assume that is what that person said verbatim. After all, that is the whole point of a quote, is it not? From time to time you will read someone saying they were misquoted in the print media after all. Just sayin... *shrug*

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Craig, it IS a fabrication. Bush NEVER said those words and to use it like he did is to create something that does not exist.

No different than me creating Obama's quotes for political purposes.

Earlier tonight, I pointed out the common argument for people who do not tell the truth, that when called on it, say "all I said was..." and leave out the falsehood.

You did just that.

You said it's a TOTAL fabrication. It was not.

Not only was it partly based on what he said, it largely captured the spirit of what he said - even if there's a 'context' missing that argues in favor of his statement.

You have long history of far worse misrepresenting, not only leaving out context but falsely implying one - but you aren't the issue here, so we won't say more on that.

I said the quote was in accurate. I supplied the missing 'context'. And I correctly pointed out that you were also inaccurate.

You unsurprisingly failed to address your error honestly.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
When I read something in "quotes", I assume that is what that person said verbatim. After all, that is the whole point of a quote, is it not? From time to time you will read someone saying they were misquoted in the print media after all. Just sayin... *shrug*

I'm a stickler for accurate quoting. The Bush quote was inaccurate, and that's wrong.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I'm a stickler for accurate quoting. The Bush quote was inaccurate, and that's wrong.

:thumbsup:

TBMFH, I wouldn't want Obama misquoted either. The whole point of misquoting someone is to make them look bad, and I wouldn't want my President misquoted regardless of party. The phrase inside quotes is a direct attribution, and is the whole point of quoting something.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
It eats at you that it was Obama and not Bush who got Osama? GOOD!!!

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

Not at all.

But it sure does eat at you guys that the methods you abhor (enhanced interrogation, targeted assassinations, cia black prisons, ignoring sovereignty to kill Bin laden, predator drone strikes) are proving to be effective.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
It is enjoyable to watch the anti-Obama crowd's spin on this poll. But really you can't go crazy over the results of one poll. Check out 538 who does a composite analyses on a number of polls.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Is anyone really surprised that his approval numbers are up after the US finally finds and kills the person who killed 3000 americans, a person that we've been searching for for 10 years that is basically responsible for "the war on terror", the reason for a 10 year war in afghanistan, and has been the face of evil to americans for 10 years?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Is anyone really surprised that his approval numbers are up after the US finally finds and kills the person who killed 3000 americans, a person that we've been searching for for 10 years that is basically responsible for "the war on terror", the reason for a 10 year war in afghanistan, and has been the face of evil to americans for 10 years?

The people who are anti-Obama have a big problem with anything that is positive for Mr Obama.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Not at all.

But it sure does eat at you guys that the methods you abhor (enhanced interrogation, targeted assassinations, cia black prisons, ignoring sovereignty to kill Bin laden, predator drone strikes) are proving to be effective.

No. I'm against immoral actions effective or not.

But there's more evidence they slowed the hunt, than helped it.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Wow voters are fickle. He probably will win again, though. It certainly seems unlikely that the republicans will put anybody in place who deserves to lead so much as a trip to mcdonalds.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
In all honesty that's all this poll is worth, to get the resident Wingnuts panties in a bunch which it surely did.

Oh I wouldn't say that. I enjoyed being able to help others correctly understand how not to interpret polling data.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This is the real reason the Republicans are talking about who should get credit for killing bin Laden. They are hoping to mute any bounce Mr Obama could get.

Yep, pretty much. Good luck with that Pubs; the country is finding out that one of the Cheney/Rumsfeld era Golden Oldies, that Bin Laden was mitigated, irrelevant, and not in a position of authority or command, has been proven to just another crock of neocon bullshit. OBL's hideout was a command post, and he had been giving orders and planning the whole time. We ditch those incompetent, lying PNAC assholes and soon after we get Bin Laden. How about that.

Just another failure by the GOP, but this one will be harder for America to forget. Basically the GOP has nothing, except more of the whining butthurt routine they've been perfecting for the last two years.

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Not so fast. In that poll there were only 29% Republican.

Plus the polling was done to "adult" rather than registered voters. On top of that 20% of respondents.. 20% didn't know what party they leaned to. So lets see... 46% dems, 29% republicans, 4% independent, and 20% did not know what party they lean to. Real reliable poll... but hey lets run with those numbers. Just another true reflection of the obama presidency.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
Thats unpossible!!! He is going to TAKE your money AND virgin white women!!!

He needs to be stopped! Vote Palin in 2012! Impeach the Kenyan now!! Maybe we can get Bush and Cheny to run the country until Sarah is brought into the pilot's seat!

Holy CRAP - why the fuck aren't we in Iran yet?!?!?! Why haven't we shipped all our jobs over to China yet to yeild the highest possible profits for the rich and wealthy of this country?!!?

This man is going to ruin everything!!!