AOC at the Met Gala

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's dirty, you know it.

holy shit. explain. Use adult language.

lol, so some private asshurt conservative group files a complaint against her specifically, and never against all the other politicians that have historically attended this event.

the fuck is wrong with you, you illiterate bitch? Still angry that you didn't pay as much as you wanted to for president dingleberry to play golf? $300 million of our money over 4 years, for golf, isn't enough for you? You wanted $500 million stolen from you?

I mean, I always figured you for a bottom, but that's a bit much, bro. You do have worth, you know?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

"
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was hit Thursday with another ethics complaint over her attendance at Monday night’s Met Gala, with a second conservative watchdog group claiming she violated House rules on accepting gifts.

The complaint from the National Legal and Policy Center (NLPC) to the Office of Congressional Ethics alleged that Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) improperly accepted tickets from a table sponsor for herself and her boyfriend.

House rules allow members to take free tickets to charity events directly from event organizers, and The Post reported Tuesday that AOC and boyfriend Riley Roberts were directly invited by the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

However, the NLPC argued that “it is the table sponsor who is gifting or underwriting a coveted seat to AOC at the Gala.

“And if … the table where AOC sat was one paid for by one of [the] corporations attending the event, such as Instagram or Facebook, AOC has received a prohibited gift from the corporation that also lobbies Congress.”"

I'm looking at about $80,000 in gifts/contributions/bribes to her and her boyfriend for the gratuities they accepted......... cool.

They of course know this wont stick.. cause AOC is not stupid, she wouldnt put her self in that position.

What it IS, is fodder for the rabid frothing at the mouth "base" of men who forgot how to be men. That means you taj.

They thank you once again for swallowing.. line sinker all that.

Truth be damned, as long as it hurts my life sworn enemies. Haha. Right?

Are you now tired of it? That none of the shit sticks?
There is so many accusations coming out of your HQ, from election fraud to AOC-batshitoftheday to jewish space lasers. Non of it is real man? Head out of ass. You can do it.

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Is "Tax the rich" somehow a controversial statement now then?
It's a Bullshit statement used by the very rich as a diversionary tactic because most people are under the impression that the rich get a wage or salary like they do and somehow increasing the percentage will equalize things somehow.

In the early years, the personal income tax worked as Congress intended, falling squarely on the richest. In 1918, only 15% of American families owed any tax. The top 1% paid 80% of the revenue raised, according to historian W. Elliot Brownlee.

But a question remained: What would count as income and what wouldn’t? In 1916, a woman named Myrtle Macomber received a dividend for her Standard Oil of California shares. She owed taxes, thanks to the new law. The dividend had not come in cash, however. It came in the form of an additional share for every two shares she already held. She paid the taxes and then brought a court challenge: Yes, she’d gotten a bit richer, but she hadn’t received any money. Therefore, she argued, she’d received no “income.”

Four years later, the Supreme Court agreed. In Eisner v. Macomber, the high court ruled that income derived only from proceeds. A person needed to sell an asset — stock, bond or building — and reap some money before it could be taxed.

Since then, the concept that income comes only from proceeds — when gains are “realized” — has been the bedrock of the U.S. tax system. Wages are taxed. Cash dividends are taxed. Gains from selling assets are taxed. But if a taxpayer hasn’t sold anything, there is no income and therefore no tax.

If AOC wanted to be seen as more than a useful idiot on this issue, instead of tax the rich she should have written "close the loopholes" along with requiring outsourced products and service sold in the USA be subject to the same OSHA, EPA, and labor regulations as if they were made domestically, and watch how fast things equalize when you can't exploit other countries and people antebellum style while virtue signalling support for every domestic woke issue.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It's a Bullshit statement used by the very rich as a diversionary tactic because most people are under the impression that the rich get a wage or salary like they do and somehow increasing the percentage will equalize things somehow.

If AOC wanted to be seen as more than a useful idiot on this issue, instead of tax the rich she should have written "close the loopholes" along with requiring outsourced products and service sold in the USA be subject to the same OSHA, EPA, and labor regulations as if they were made domestically, and watch how fast things equalize when you can't exploit other countries and people antebellum style while virtue signalling support for every domestic woke issue.

Democratic Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Jan Schakowsky are working on legislation that would nearly double the top individual U.S. tax rate to 59% on the highest incomes.

The bill, which is still being drafted, also would increase capital gains rates to equalize them with income taxes and move to a so-called mark-to-market system. That would require individuals to pay taxes annually on the appreciation of their investments, real estate and business holdings.

Next?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019
Closing the loopholes, not only on individuals but businesses as well would do more than percentage hikes.

Simplifying the tax code to a few hundred pages would do even more.

When you get to the size of Amazon, Apple and Alphabet, you should be paying several million in taxes regardless of any tricks, deductions or exemptions.

Nov 17, 2019
And of course, the big one ... eliminate tax exempt entities that are not true non-profit charities with minimal payrolls and overhead. I'm not even sure groups like Red Cross and United Way would pass my test for that since at least 75% of all intake would have to go out.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

The other issue I've noticed time and again is that a lot of people don't understand the difference between income and assets.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The other issue I've noticed time and again is that a lot of people don't understand the difference between income and assets.
Kind of like the people who don't know the difference between deficits and debt. As related to government budgeting.

• Love
Reactions: Fenixgoon
Jul 9, 2009
Politicians do get invited to local charity events. What's your point? Are you just mad they weren't ripping off a cancer charity or something like the guy you and your your ilk venerates?
As long as they're bribing politicians for a good cause i guess it's OK.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Closing the loopholes, not only on individuals but businesses as well would do more than percentage hikes.

Simplifying the tax code to a few hundred pages would do even more.

When you get to the size of Amazon, Apple and Alphabet, you should be paying several million in taxes regardless of any tricks, deductions or exemptions.
An easy fix would to be to tax business income before expenses just like it's done for the citizens (short healthcare and 401k deductions). Do you know how little taxes citizens would have to pay if we only where taxed on the money we had left after paying for all living expenses like morgage (not just interest), utilities, food, etc. But nope, we get taxed before expenses, unlike businesses who are taxed on what they have left after expenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019
^^^ The theory behind that (as I understand it) is that a company pays salary/wages to 10,000 employees and those employees all pay taxes.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
^^^ The theory behind that (as I understand it) is that a company pays salary/wages to 10,000 employees and those employees all pay taxes.
That is just manipulation used as an excuse to justify them not paying taxes. It's specifically the point I am making, the citizens get taxed on nearly everything, and companies nearly nothing in comparison as they get to pay for almost all expenses with before tax money, where we as citizens/consumers don't. They get our labor tax free (income tax wise).

We buy their goods and services, with after tax money.. so why should they get off on paying wages, buying materials, paying for their buildings, their upgrades, their expandsions, diners, advertising, utilities, repairs etc with tax free money?

I sure as hell wish I could pay for all of my living expenses before taxes.

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
That is just manipulation used as an excuse to justify them not paying taxes. It's specifically the point I am making, the citizens get taxed on nearly everything, and companies nearly nothing in comparison as they get to pay for almost all expenses with before tax money, where we as citizens/consumers don't. They get our labor tax free (income tax wise).

We buy their goods and services, with after tax money.. so why should they get off on paying wages, buying materials, paying for their buildings, their upgrades, their expandsions, diners, advertising, utilities, repairs etc with tax free money?

I sure as hell wish I could pay for all of my living expenses before taxes.
Can we sue the IRS based on citizens united then since corporations are people? That would be fun 😂

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I will be waiting on the outcome of the investigations with baited breath.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

"
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was hit Thursday with another ethics complaint over her attendance at Monday night’s Met Gala, with a second conservative watchdog group claiming she violated House rules on accepting gifts.

The complaint from the National Legal and Policy Center (NLPC) to the Office of Congressional Ethics alleged that Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) improperly accepted tickets from a table sponsor for herself and her boyfriend.

House rules allow members to take free tickets to charity events directly from event organizers, and The Post reported Tuesday that AOC and boyfriend Riley Roberts were directly invited by the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

However, the NLPC argued that “it is the table sponsor who is gifting or underwriting a coveted seat to AOC at the Gala.

“And if … the table where AOC sat was one paid for by one of [the] corporations attending the event, such as Instagram or Facebook, AOC has received a prohibited gift from the corporation that also lobbies Congress.”"

I'm looking at about $80,000 in gifts/contributions/bribes to her and her boyfriend for the gratuities they accepted......... cool.

Next thing you know she will be deleting 30,000 emails and accepting donations from wealthy foreign parties to purchase America's uranium stockpile.

And MSNBC/ABC/CBS/CNN will be like "Nothing to see here! And now for a hard hitting report on corrupt Republicans."

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I dunno, but I vaguely recall liberals complaining for the last 4 years.
I mean I know he is the cult leader of your party, but ummm yeah he was the biggest shithead to be president in modern history, a guy called Trump. Remember him? Tried to overthrow democracy? Ring a bell?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Next thing you know she will be deleting 30,000 emails and accepting donations from wealthy foreign parties to purchase America's uranium stockpile.

And MSNBC/ABC/CBS/CNN will be like "Nothing to see here! And now for a hard hitting report on corrupt Republicans."
^ One more lie from a fucking traitor.