AoC and Omar declare Bolivia to be a coup...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Try again:

"What would AoC suggest to rectify that situation?"

How could the coup possibly be enacted without the support of the military that would otherwise be used to put down the uprising?

I see that being much more grisly than what happened.

You cant take a subset of a subset, flip it around and call it a contradiction.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Lordy, not throwing stoned :)

It's occurred to me that if the Democrats are engaging in a coup then by a like reasoning, Trump is a traitor and subject to the ultimate penalty provided for by the Constitution and law. That would be something Trumpettes would not like.

And actually, I am a bit in the clouds right now. ;) Came upon some quite tasty distractions last night.

I was only joking......I had heard of a military junta actually giving up their power to allow civilian leadership to take back over......just none recently at all.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Call it a coup if it makes you feel better - I honestly do not care at this point if that is the odd-argument you guys are clinging to. The criticism is incompetent morons in congress that apparently believe that this was somehow a fair election. You guys do understand that right?

As plenty of people here say "Coups aren't necessarily a bad thing".... That's precisely what AoC and Omar are saying. Derp. These are the same dumb broads that stood beside Venezuela and Maduro for fucks sake. Please for the love of god just understand how incompetently stupid these dumb women are. I feel like they need to be air-dropped with nothing in these countries to see what life is actually like.

Even the fucking NYT doesn't necessarily agree with you that this is a coup in the broad sense of the word. Damn near every "coup" that most people commonly refer to it as isn't an uprising - it's an organized revolt against the current government... NOT enforcing the government that was already there.

The people and the military do not want to appoint a dictator. They don't want to change the constitution or change the government or change the structure of the government or change the election structure. They want the current administration to step down based on proven corruption and for there to be a properly elected new administration based on what the people actually voted for.

I mean just riddle me this - Devil's Advocate here - if next year Trump committed pure election fraud and was caught does he get an "oopsies! My bad! Let's have a re-do?" How do you think that would work out here in the US?

Damn, you really don't like women in power, do you? Dumb broads, stupid broads. Any other snarky, sexist tripe you care to heap upon them?

Mar 11, 2004
I don't think this thread is going as the OP was expecting.

I have to disagree, I think this is exactly the way he wanted this thread to go, as he's not making threads thinking people will agree with him, he's making threads to try and get people to argue with him so he can fuel his belief that liberals are morons because well he's right always no matter how much people can objectively show him to be simply just plain wrong. Hell just look how he framed this thread (and he's been doing it with all his threads in this subforum). Sure he used a nonsensical argument for doing so, but then of course he'll just dispute that its nonsensical. I haven't gotten to the later parts of the thread yet to see if its devolved into the "coup doesn't mean what it means, it means something else!" like they tried pulling with concentration camps and several others. Hell I think they've argued in that manner about coups when Turmp tried to claim there was one happening against him.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
those two idiots probably don't even know what continent Bolivia is on.
Have you heard AOC speak? Improvise? Just saying, if you call that stupid, use that as reference and watch this.

One talking point ... and then "im not the puppet, you the puppet".

Just saying if AOC is dumb then Trump is a retard among retards.

This thing from ~4 minutes in is .... frightening to say the least!

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Call it a coup if it makes you feel better - I honestly do not care at this point if that is the odd-argument you guys are clinging to. The criticism is incompetent morons in congress that apparently believe that this was somehow a fair election. You guys do understand that right?

As plenty of people here say "Coups aren't necessarily a bad thing".... That's precisely what AoC and Omar are saying. Derp. These are the same dumb broads that stood beside Venezuela and Maduro for fucks sake. Please for the love of god just understand how incompetently stupid these dumb women are. I feel like they need to be air-dropped with nothing in these countries to see what life is actually like.

Even the fucking NYT doesn't necessarily agree with you that this is a coup in the broad sense of the word. Damn near every "coup" that most people commonly refer to it as isn't an uprising - it's an organized revolt against the current government... NOT enforcing the government that was already there.

The people and the military do not want to appoint a dictator. They don't want to change the constitution or change the government or change the structure of the government or change the election structure. They want the current administration to step down based on proven corruption and for there to be a properly elected new administration based on what the people actually voted for.

I mean just riddle me this - Devil's Advocate here - if next year Trump committed pure election fraud and was caught does he get an "oopsies! My bad! Let's have a re-do?" How do you think that would work out here in the US?
Thank You for proving my p[oint between you and AOC and Omar.....
it is senseless to discuss this with you! Apparently there are 2 or 3 dictionaries floating around with different meaning for words!
I never knew you cared so much about the people of Bolivia...

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
Have you heard AOC speak? Improvise? Just saying, if you call that stupid, use that as reference and watch this.

One talking point ... and then "im not the puppet, you the puppet".

Just saying if AOC is dumb then Trump is a retard among retards.
l[/URL]

yea the world has seen and heard the idiot talk. and again another thread taken off topic and turned into a Trump thread.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
yea the world has seen and heard the idiot talk. and again another thread taken off topic and turned into a Trump thread.

The topic is was it a coup, by definition it was. Unless you have proof the military had taken no action whatsoever.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I think I'll wait for more info on this one. Some outlets are saying the public made it clear they didn't want him to extend his term limit, but did so anyway by going to courts. Then the election took place, but results were "frozen" for 24 hrs, after which he came out with the 10%+ margin to get back into power. The outrage from that caused the military to intervene and ask him to go.

I'm really not sure what's the truth here.

Having said that, the "interim" president does not sound like the type of person that should be in power.
Didn't the president who stepped down also previously blow up most of the line of succession?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
Dude, the president resigned because the military told them to. It’s perfectly reasonable to call that a coup. Once again you’re calling people dumb for saying correct things, haha.

The thing is that coups aren’t inherently bad! If the military ousted Maduro that would surely be a coup but if they did so to remove a repressive dictator it could be a good thing, similar to some cases in Africa.

Wish our military would oust Trump. Id back that coup all day, every day.

• Love
Reactions: Indus

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Sounds like a coup to me. When people complained about the election, Morales agreed to an audit by the OAS. When they were unable to confirm the validity of the election, Morales accepted the findings and agreed to a new election. Instead, the military forced Morales out of office. Deposing the President by means of the military is the very definition of a coup.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
As a conservative, Omar I can respect and AOC not as much. But I believe in this case, they are right. It was a coup. IMHO.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone notice how well Tesla's stock has been doing since the coup? Did you know that Bolivia has the worlds largest lithium reserves?
Only a couple of days ago -The Morales move on Nov. 4 to cancel the December 2018 agreement with Germany's ACI Systems Alemania (ACISA) came after weeks of protests from residents of the Potosí area. The region has 50% to 70% of the world's lithium reserves in the Salar de Uyuni salt flats.

Nov 8, 2012
Anyone notice how well Tesla's stock has been doing since the coup? Did you know that Bolivia has the worlds largest lithium reserves?
Only a couple of days ago -The Morales move on Nov. 4 to cancel the December 2018 agreement with Germany's ACI Systems Alemania (ACISA) came after weeks of protests from residents of the Potosí area. The region has 50% to 70% of the world's lithium reserves in the Salar de Uyuni salt flats.

lol what is this supposed to be, a conspiracy that our government has something to do with their fraudulent election? Are you forgetting that the current administration isn't exactly a lover of Tesla?

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
lol what is this supposed to be, a conspiracy that our government has something to do with their fraudulent election? Are you forgetting that the current administration isn't exactly a lover of Tesla?
No. Any hindrance to German automakers getting battery materials (as in this case currently) is a boon to Tesla.

However, I'm sure the current "right wing" leader will say FU to the locals and allow the project to go ahead, as long as she gets her cut.