Anyone watch those music reaction videos on YouTube?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Do you really want to feel old? Watch these two young 20 somethings react to "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. This video got a lot of press, and was trending so you might had come across this a few weeks ago. What really got me are when young people react to a band like BonJovi and are like Bon who? lol, time flies.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Haven't watched the OP guys, but Youtube recently started recommending this genre and I have watched quite a few. Most of them feel too contrived, people Reacting for the sake of Reacting. The best Duo/Reactors I found have been these guys.

Reactions: SamQuint

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
the have a Dope Ass Day guy is another

Like I said I watch way too many of these. I am addicted.

Feb 4, 2009
Did you see the one she did on Queensryche "Take Hold of the Flame." She was blown away with Jeff Tate's voice.

No I just randomly google them. I do prefer “Beth?” She has a little jingle followed by a little roar in her intros.
I don’t think this was the one but there is a video where the girl had a major crush on the type o negative guy. During the video when you see him she says “Of course he’s a real big guy...” then at the end she finds out he’s dead and is kind of sad.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I don't get it, how can anybody have not heard this stuff?
That's like saying you've never seen the sky before.

Makes me wonder if I'm an ignorant fool as well.

Is there some good music I haven't heard yet?

Seriously, if there's something I'm missing out on let me know.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
A more serious critique of Freddie Mercury than some rappers with limited exposure to actual music.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm reading people's reactions to other people's reactions to watching music videos. This lockdown better end soon.

• Haha
Reactions: sandorski

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
First, I have watched several. I regret it. It's a confession.

A number of things hit me. One, is what an incredible waste of time type of video to watch. What do I care about their hearing song?

Two, a lot of it does seem at least plausibly phony. When people do dozens of such videos, it raises questions about whether it's really 'first time', how much it's an 'act', and so on.

Three, there is this one sort of creepy couple that does them. If you've seen them you probably know who I mean.

Four, it seems like an incredibly 'cheap', and I don't mean in the financial sense though it's also cheap financially, type of entertainment. Go watch the quality research from Simon on the 'Today I found out' channel, and all these guys have to do is listen to a song?

Five, if you DO want to watch something like this, there are also videos - not great, but - of claimed 'experts' like a drum teacher or a voice coach, who react to songs. But for example, the voice coach doesn't seem to add a lot except to praise the singing a bit.

Six, the people I see do the videos, aren't really people whose reactions I'd especially want to watch.

I'm not sure what I was attracted to. There is something that draws you to watch someone react to a song you like for the first time, but I found it wore off quickly. Good, they heard the sound and liked it. I'd rather just hear the song.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Today I ran across this video clip, deleted from the movie Almost Famous, about a first time hearing of "Stairway to Heaven".

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Four, it seems like an incredibly 'cheap', and I don't mean in the financial sense though it's also cheap financially, type of entertainment. Go watch the quality research from Simon on the 'Today I found out' channel, and all these guys have to do is listen to a song?
Simon doesn't do the research, I believe it's Daven Hiskey who was also the "host" originally.

Edit: (It looks like they've added more over time as well)

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

A 20 year old probably has never heard about Bon Jovi unless their parents exposed them to that type of music. But yea, it seems kind of odd. I knew about Hendrix, Doors, Zepplin, Skynard, etc. Although I was born after 60, 70s music era. I still don't know much about the 50s though. Elvis comes to mind. I knew about the Rat Pack though. This was before the internet. I think these young people might had heard about these groups, but had never listenened to them. I also think watching a young black 20 something male whose listening to heavy metal and enjoying that type of music is very interesting. Especially when you'd expect them to be listening to mumble rap 2010s. Do they listen to rock/metal on their free time? I doubt it.

Nov 8, 2012
It's quite possibly the lamest thing I've ever seen.

What I think is probably the worst, is when the YouTuber is acting like they heard the song for the first time ever... and plenty of them I just have to call bullshit. It's not the first time they heard it.

The only people I could see actually entertained by this stuff - might be if you're someone that plays an instrument (e.g. guitar, drums, etc) and the YouTuber reviewing it is going into details of the music, notes, rhythm, etc.

Nov 8, 2012

You can see in plenty of the videos how they shake their heads to the beat and know when changes are coming that they've heard it before.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Simon doesn't do the research, I believe it's Daven Hiskey who was also the "host" originally.

Edit: (It looks like they've added more over time as well)
Karl Smallwood does some writing for them too. He used to be a lot more regular before starting his own channel (Fact Fiend).