Anyone watch those music reaction videos on YouTube?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yeah, those videos are so over the top...they're exaggerating in order to get a rise from the people that have been fans of whatever music they're listening to. This panders to viewers feeling vindicated in their superior music tastes and then gets passed around saying "Look! These kids didn't know what they were missing! I was right all along!"

It's hard to find anything genuine on YouTube anymore. Everything is done for money.

Reactions: BudAshes

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not sure the sincerity of this one but funny when girl realizes WAP was done back in the 80s by Sheena Easton called Sugerwalls done a lot more subtly

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
the first time i saw these it was interesting, after about the 3rd video they became staler than 10 day old toast

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
I hate to say it, but it feels like there are a lot of people where who don't realize how old they really are.

I get it, in my office we have a bunch of college aged people, and I sometimes forget how old I am when talking to them about things.

That being the case, In the Air Tonight was released in 1981. That was 41 years ago. It was released before these people in the Youtube videos were born.

Sorry guys, but a lot of us are old.

Reactions: Captante

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Answer to
Do you really want to feel old? Watch these two young 20 somethings react to "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. This video got a lot of press, and was trending so you might had come across this a few weeks ago. What really got me are when young people react to a band like BonJovi and are like Bon who? lol, time flies.

Hell no.
Fuck no.
I don't watch any reaction videos. I have my own fucking reaction to shit. I don't need to watch others people's reactions to stuff. I also don't need laugh tracks in the shows I watch to know if they are funny or not.
As soon as see one in my feed, I immediately mark it as not interested or don't recommend channel.
The closest I come to watching "reaction videos" is Rick Beato's "What makes this song great series" who is a professional who breaks down songs and goes through the technical aspects of it.

Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I remember watching this video when this thread was posted and it was my first reaction video. It got old real fast.

I'd only watch a reaction video of an actual artist or musician I like hearing something new. although it's not like most would say anything mean so that kinda ruins that a bit.

otherwise who cares.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
This thread - "What is your reaction to these people's reaction? I want to know what my reaction to those people's reactions should be."

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
This thread - "What is your reaction to these people's reaction? I want to know what my reaction to those people's reactions should be."

Vlz9jEH.gif

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can't imagine a bigger waste of time than watching reactions to classic music the person isn't familiar with.

Totally agreed..... why on earth would I care about what a couple stupid kids think about really anything at all?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I hate to say it, but it feels like there are a lot of people where who don't realize how old they really are.

I get it, in my office we have a bunch of college aged people, and I sometimes forget how old I am when talking to them about things.

That being the case, In the Air Tonight was released in 1981. That was 41 years ago. It was released before these people in the Youtube videos were born.

Sorry guys, but a lot of us are old.
Was just talking about that. We regularly listen to (and enjoy) music that is 50, 60, and even 70 years old. Imagine being a fan of 40 year old music in 1981.

"In the Air Tonight is great and all, but Pensylvania 6-5000 is always going to be my jam!"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
i despise reaction videos
Usually a waste of time but I got sucked in with the Squid Game reactions.

I can remember my first reactions video. Not sure I wanna say here but it was pretty funny and those reactions were genuine.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Was just talking about that. We regularly listen to (and enjoy) music that is 50, 60, and even 70 years old. Imagine being a fan of 40 year old music in 1981.

"In the Air Tonight is great and all, but Pensylvania 6-5000 is always going to be my jam!"

When I was in my youth, way back when watching scrambled playboy channel was still a thing,
I was that kid
My most worn cassette tapes included everything from Django Reinhardt to Robert Johnson to Van Halen to the Sugarqubes to Sviatoslav Richter to Def Leppard to countless Pianists banging away at the standard classics (Beethoven, Mozart, Lizts, silly Russian people and their brooding compositions and really good performances of Bug Bunny's favorite piano piece....
I even went through a polka phase.
I even had an 8-track player at one point where I had all sorts of random crap.

I also grew up in a different era where Radio stations were local and had actual people who would play whatever they felt like playing. Record stores where you could sit, listen and talk music all day and after walking 2 miles each way uphill in the snow where we didn't have cable but we did have a record player and a bunch of old records lying around...
Plus...some album covers had tits on them

Everything from just about every decade and an complete disgusts for anything County.
Fuck country.