Anyone use an Xbox 360 controller on PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cloud7a

Oct 14, 2011
No you can't us the ps3 controller on the PC. There are knockoffs that other companies make like logictech with there controller designed like the ps2 contoller.

For the most part I will say that the 360 controller is by far one of the best ones out there for any kinda gaming. PC / 360 / heck even if it you could get it to work with the PS3 it would be the great.

XBL: cloud7a3
PSN: cloud7a
STEAM: cloud7a

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
No you can't us the ps3 controller on the PC. There are knockoffs that other companies make like logictech with there controller designed like the ps2 contoller.

uhm, i had my PS3 controller working on my PC before. Theres a driver you can use and everything. It works just like most pads out there. eitehr wired or wireless if you have blue tooth, you just have to use a special software to make BT see it and link.
i also had it going on my Lappy for a while. worked great actually, but mostly played emulated games with it.
But the 360 controller works by default on most modern games and functions smoother more akin to a console than most other controllers out there imo.

i also have a couple logitech pads, one looks like a 360...but doesnt function out of box with many games, i hate mapping buttons to keys. It does have an FPS button but hell like i said, most games support 360 out of box now.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
No, not to my knowledge.

as i mentioned in my previous post, you can and it does work.

lets me show how

A simple program you can use your PS3′s SIXAXIS controller on a PC like a game pad. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Download this archive and install the filter driver (libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.10.1.exe).
2. Unpack ps3sixaxis_en.exe
3. Plug the SIXAXIS into your PC.
4. Run ps3sixaxis_en.exe once.
5. Push the PS button on the SIXAXIS once if it doesn’t see it straight away.

i forget how exactly to get it working with bluetooth. but i used it wirelessly for a while on my laptop couple years back

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
^ is also a step towards using it on an android phone as well btw (iirc).

anyhoo,

i use a wifi adapter with my 360 controller and it works great - for games that are made to support it properly (batman, crysis (all 3), portal, HL2, GTA 4 etc). there are options like xpadder and Pinnacle Game Profiler (which has pre made presets for each game) but it's hit and miss. i tried pinnacle for COD4 on my PC and couldn't get past the tests at the start.

then you have games like homefront which support it, but in a retarded fashion. e.g in crysis if you're meant to do something it'll say "press X" or whatever button on the controller you're meant to use. in homefront, it tells you what keyboard button to press "press S" with no suggestion as to what button on the controller to use. then again, that games was a piece of crap anyway.

some people say games for windows titles will support the controller as standard. this is not true. it's optional. see COD world at war. no controller support. black ops did though and it was good.

at this point, i can't play PC games with a K+M anymore. controllers ruined it for me but i don't want to experience the low res crap output that an xbox or a PS3 gives you if i can help it.

the next COD game probably won't work with the controller as IW haven't supported it in the past afaik (at least not either modern warfare games). BFBC 2 didn't support it either but there are rumours that BF3 will.

as a tip (not 100% as game devs don't always label them as so) search steam for "controller enabled" and a fair few games have this "feature".

maybe when the net connection bullshit is removed from AC brotherhood i can buy that any play the damn thing on my PC.

wow, didn't mean to write all that :eek:

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
as i mentioned in my previous post, you can and it does work.

lets me show how

i forget how exactly to get it working with bluetooth. but i used it wirelessly for a while on my laptop couple years back
It does work, but the 360 gamepad is the defacto standard on the PC, complete with rumble effects and all. No fiddling needed. It's worth getting one, especially for platformers. There really isn't a better way of playing games like Arkham Asylum (and I assume the soon to be released Arkham City) on the PC.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Why would you use a 360 controller for BF3!!!

Hey i did these with a 360 pad. (i'm sikfly) i often came in first or second using a pad. secret is adjusting the analogue sensitivity. its really not hard like some PC gamers think, fiddle with control options till it feels right and most of all...practice
any kind of control takes getting used to and i believe most anyone can be really good with any specific type.

ut320110925174812591280.jpg

ut320110925174759541280.jpg

ut320110925174759541280.jpg

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i would do it just to sit back and relax. gets old sitting at the desk arms layed up with left hand all spread about like i'm playing a piano.
i use kb/mouse for shorter spans of play, depends on the game.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I'm a little late to this thread, but no, I'm pretty sure no one uses an Xbox 360 controller with their PC. There's probably not even drivers for it.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I'm a little late to this thread, but no, I'm pretty sure no one uses an Xbox 360 controller with their PC. There's probably not even drivers for it.

Noob Gamer Alert!!

pssst....i don't think this is your first time being late

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I picked up a controller and it's working great for some games but I can't get it to work with Burnout Paradise. I saw in other forums people saying their controller was automatically recognized in this game. Not for me. I have the Steam version. It's not even listed if I go to controller options, only keyboard is there. Anyone using the 360 controller with Burnout Paradise?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got this working.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
good thing you're late as you're totally off on this one. and "no one uses it"? really? did you just skip past the posts from people saying they'd used the controller on their PCs? what about games that support it natively?

microsoft does both the xbox and windows remember? win 7 has native support iirc, xp you had to install a driver package.

ala

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

I'm pretty sure that a quick google search will prove you wrong.

See?
SEARCHGOOGLE.png

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
You can Google help related tech question for anything and come up with a list like that.
Seriously, the majority of modern games work with it right out of box.

The problem is most people asking for help saying their 360 pad doesnt work with their PC is PCTarded. aka: User error.
80% of PC software issues can be solved by a reformat and updated drivers.

*edit: If you go out now Nebor and buy a wireless 360 pad and it doesnt work on your PC...i'll fucking come to your house and fix it for you. Unless its hardware error, or some funky Windows related corruption, it will function fine on your PC and many newer games support it naitively

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
You can Google help related tech question for anything and come up with a list like that.
Seriously, the majority of modern games work with it right out of box.

The problem is most people asking for help saying their 360 pad doesnt work with their PC is PCTarded. aka: User error.
80% of PC software issues can be solved by a reformat and updated drivers.

*edit: If you go out now Nebor and buy a wireless 360 pad and it doesnt work on your PC...i'll fucking come to your house and fix it for you. Unless its hardware error, or some funky Windows related corruption, it will function fine on your PC and many newer games support it naitively

I'm sorry, I just simply do not believe that an Xbox 360 controller could work for Windows.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
it's ok, i don't believe in you either.

really, you're not real. anyone real would have enough brain cells to be able to google "windows xbox controller support" and found, wait for it, ta da!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977697

which says:

Frequently asked questions
Q1: Where can I find the drivers I need for my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows?

A1: If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you do not have to download any drivers. If you are running Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft website to find downloads for Microsoft gaming software:
www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx

now, if you still say you don't believe in it, then go away and stop trolling. that's the only reason left that you would still say it :rolleyes:

but you'll still say it since you're a jerk who likes to try and be a prick on forums since you're probably 30, single, a virgin, live with your parents and this is the only entertainment you can afford, sadly.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm sorry, I just simply do not believe that an Xbox 360 controller could work for Windows.

Is this the kind of argumentative logic you use on a regular basis? You "just simply do not believe" something, and that's the end of it?

Considering there are thousands of gamers who use 360 gamepads with their PCs (I being one of them), and considering all of the extensive information from Microsoft and other people online stating that you can, in fact, use 360 controllers on Windows; I "just simply do not believe" you aren't joking.

Oh, and while we're at it, I "just simply do not believe" the sky is blue. Also, Nebor, I think you are probably a unicorn. I don't think you're a human. I "just simply do not believe" it.

To OP: Yes, the 360 controller is currently the best option for PC gamers who want to use a gamepad.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
it's ok, i don't believe in you either.

really, you're not real. anyone real would have enough brain cells to be able to google "windows xbox controller support" and found, wait for it, ta da!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977697

which says:

now, if you still say you don't believe in it, then go away and stop trolling. that's the only reason left that you would still say it :rolleyes:

but you'll still say it since you're a jerk who likes to try and be a prick on forums since you're probably 30, single, a virgin, live with your parents and this is the only entertainment you can afford, sadly.

Is this the kind of argumentative logic you use on a regular basis? You "just simply do not believe" something, and that's the end of it?

Considering there are thousands of gamers who use 360 gamepads with their PCs (I being one of them), and considering all of the extensive information from Microsoft and other people online stating that you can, in fact, use 360 controllers on Windows; I "just simply do not believe" you aren't joking.

Oh, and while we're at it, I "just simply do not believe" the sky is blue. Also, Nebor, I think you are probably a unicorn. I don't think you're a human. I "just simply do not believe" it.

To OP: Yes, the 360 controller is currently the best option for PC gamers who want to use a gamepad.

lol at you 2 guys.

simply....lol.

:D

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
Razer stuff is awesome, I have the orca headset and will likely get myself a mamba soon. All our customers are satisfied with them. Except the Onza. We have had a ton of returns on them. So many that we stopped selling them completely. Issues ranging from buttons not working out of the box to calibration problems to failure after a few months.

So I would recommend any razer product, except the Onza.

Ya, my experiences with Razer have been good. But this Black Widow keyboard is to loud imo. Would be ok for work but not gaming. It does feel good to type on. But for gaming you wouldnt want the constant loud clicky sound. The stealth editions are all sold out on the Razer site. :'(

I would still want to try their controller myself. But like I was saying Bestbuy excepts returns for 30 days. :cool:

Where do you work? Whats the return policy there?