Anyone use a dehumidifier?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah, really. Just about any temperature with high humidity is uncomfortable.
If it's much below about 65F, then it feels colder than it actually is. And of course, if it's warm, it just feels grossly hot.
In dry air, I can easily tolerate up to 85F, depending of course on my activity level.

God, tell me about it. All of next week the weather report predicts humidity from 75%-95% and it's like that ALL YEAR ROUND.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

i have I think what is a cheaper version of the same thing, it's lasted me 4 years of continious basement use during the summer, i CANNOT live without it. Hook a hose up to it and forget it even exists other then the noise

I like having an option to reduce humidity to a certain percentage.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Who doesn't use one?
Unless you live in a desert or high altitude, dehumidifiers are a must (in basement).

I use a rather pricey whirpool model that is used primarily for continuous heavy use.

Get one that has the ability to hook directly up to a hose and pour directly into a sump crock or floor drain. I find emptying a bucket several times a day to be a pain in the ass.♠

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
Who doesn't use one?
Unless you live in a desert or high altitude, dehumidifiers are a must (in basement).

I use a rather pricey whirpool model that is used primarily for continuous heavy use.

Get one that has the ability to hook directly up to a hose and pour directly into a sump crock or floor drain. I find emptying a bucket several times a day to be a pain in the ass.♠
hmm, watering your garden perhaps?

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
hmm, watering your garden perhaps?
Why would I want to lug several gallons of water up/down stairs in a container that is not particularly designed well for transport?

I have a garden hose for gardening. The dehumidifier water goes directly into the sump crock. Also, if the attached dehumidifier tank fills up and I'm not around for a while to empty it, then the unit doesn't run and it gets damp. The less interaction with the unit, the better.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
Why would I want to lug several gallons of water up/down stairs in a container that is not particularly designed well for transport?

I have a garden hose for gardening. The dehumidifier water goes directly into the sump crock. Also, if the attached dehumidifier tank fills up and I'm not around for a while to empty it, then the unit doesn't run and it gets damp. The less interaction with the unit, the better.
Well I meant you'd run a hose from the humidifier which would fill some sort of container and then you can water your garden from there.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Well I meant you'd run a hose from the humidifier which would fill some sort of container and then you can water your garden from there.
Gotcha. Not a bad idea for some people. Still far too much effort for me. I'd rather not carry water up in a bucket to my lawn/garden and then have no pressurized hose system in which to water my plans.

Having it dump into my sump crock will eventually pump it into my lawn anyway.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
LOL no. A/C dehumidifies fine. But I prefer 100 degrees and 95% humidity. Keeps the lard off. Especially if you run in it. Ever notice old photos before A/C's? EVERYONE IS THIN. Creature comforts had led us to becoming lard bodies IMO.

Last edited:

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
LOL no. A/C dehumidifies fine. But I prefer 100 degrees and 95% humidity. Keeps the lard off. Especially if you run in it. Ever notice old photos before A/C's? EVERYONE IS THIN. Creature comforts had led us to becoming lard bodies IMO.
God love ya for running in that. That's like running in a warm, uncomfortable pool.

The majority of the workforce moving from daily hard labor to daily hard pencil pushing led us to lard bodies.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

you would still need to get the water from the basement up to ground level and I ain't going to invest in a pump to do that.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
you would still need to get the water from the basement up to ground level and I ain't going to invest in a pump to do that.
No HVAC de-humidifier system? Meaning that you have all the equipment above or at ground level and just have a separate air handler or intake for the basement.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I had to buy one two years ago. I read a lot of reviews first and like you found them very, very hit or miss. I decided that it was going to be impossible to find a unit "blessed" by reviewers in general so I just went to Lowes and bought one. It's been fine so far (runs about 23.5 hours/day). It's going to be hard to find one that everybody likes.

Even for houses that are only partially sealed, mold can easily still be an issue. Only suggestion I have for this is opening a window in the bathroom to vent it out or keeping the door to the bathroom open so that it equalizes with the rest of the air in the house.
And yet you don't see the benefit to lowering humidity levels? My dehumidifier in the basement pulls the humidity down from about 75 to 45 or so. Instead of a fish tank it's actually comfortable down there. I have a five year old home with dry walls, sub-slab plastic, there's no way to better seal it, really. The fact is moisture gets in a basement since it's got dirt on a few sides. Lowering humidity, assuming you're insulated and sealed reasonably, is THE way to reduce mold and a dehumidifier is THE way to lower it.

I pump mine into the sump pit. On the slim chance my sump ever fails I even have a $10 battery-powered unit that alarms if water level gets above the cut-off, so that way I'll know, whether it's in the middle of a storm or whatever. No homeowner without a psychological problem (or they just have no sump pit) is going to empty their sump bucket each day. Everyone in my hood has a dehumidifier (and 95% of us have AC). One neighbor even has two.

God love ya for running in that. That's like running in a warm, uncomfortable pool.
I did it last weekend, stopped real short. It was just horrendous.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No HVAC de-humidifier system? Meaning that you have all the equipment above or at ground level and just have a separate air handler or intake for the basement.

the hvac is in the basement, the only thing above ground is the rad. There is drainage in the mechanical room so gravity is all I need.

I don't turn on the ac for the whole house just to de-humidify the basement.

I only need to turn on AC for like a week maybe in a whole year. And it's mainly to get rid of the humidity in the main living area when it is really humid.

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

Especially for sleeping, right?