Anyone use a dehumidifier?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I use an LG unit with no issues.

My LG unit in my basement just died after about 6 years of continuous use. I think my nephews killed it by playing around the button setting and making it run 24/7 without stopping.

It was noisy when it ran but I think all units are like that. I don't know about its power usage. I honestly don't care about extra $10-50 a month in electricity cost.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
google "Humidex"

Cheers,
Aquaman

I googled it and it will not solve my issue whatsoever. In fact, I'm not sure it really solves anyone's issue with higher humidity. All it does is use negative pressure to pull outside air into the home and expel the old air. That might work fine if it's 30% humidity outside in the summer, but it never is. It's generally 70%+ in Illinois. If I'm pulling air into my home that has 70% moisture in it to replace air that has 55%, it's going to make my problem much, much worse.

Thanks for the thought though, it may help someone.

mindmaniac

Dec 30, 2003
We use on in the basement. It's got to be over 15 years old, but it still removes a few pints a day. I was looking online and remember seeing that there was a Frigidaire 50 pint that had good reviews and was Energy Star compliant. When ours finally kicks it I think I'll get that one.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I use a Frigidaire 50 pint that I hooked up with a hose to a drain in my basement. Before, the humidity in the basement was over 80%, now it's around 55%. My house is a 950ish sq foot ranch, with a full basement, and this one dehumidifier is enough to keep the whole basement from being too humid. Basement is partially finished, and it's a very noticable difference with the dehumidifier vs not having one.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have a crappy little Heiar unit and it works just fine. Sucks up oodles of water every day. The house is mildly more comfortable.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
So I've got this plan to substitute my AC with a dehumidifier. I know that they let off some heat, so I may have to run the AC from time to time, but I suspect my overall energy savings should negate that.

Boy are you going to be disappointed.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Sorry to thread jack but I didn't want to make a new thread for this. We had our crawl space under the house flooded and I was wondering if I could use a dehumidifier to dry it out. I so, what size would be needed? This house is about 1900 sq. feet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sorry to thread jack but I didn't want to make a new thread for this. We had our crawl space under the house flooded and I was wondering if I could use a dehumidifier to dry it out. I so, what size would be needed? This house is about 1900 sq. feet.
No. You will need lots of big fans and heaters to get most of the water out. The dehumidifier only works on air. And humidity. It is not a water pump.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Reheat coils are used in computer room systems where a compressor is used to dehumidify the air and the return air temp may be too low causing the conditioned space to fall below the setpoint temperature. This rarely happens with most installations as there is a call for cooling most of the time. Matter of fact the air often gets too dry from running the compressor all the time for cooling and humidity has to be added to the air. This is achieved by energizing quartz-halogen lamps above a stainless steel pan filled with water.
I love it when you talk like that.
rrrrrrowr

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
No. You will need lots of big fans and heaters to get most of the water out. The dehumidifier only works on air. And humidity. It is not a water pump.
This.
Try Quartz Halogen work lights as heaters between the bays. We did that on a job once. Dried it right out.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I just got a GE thing from Walmart. It's actually rather nice - it's the quietest dehumidifier I've ever used, though it's also somewhat lower capacity. It's about 15 feet away from me, and all I hear is the sound of air rushing from its exit vent - very low compressor noise.
My one complaint: The beeping. Every button-press creates a loud beep, and when the bucket is full, it beeps steadily for a full 10 seconds. Evidently there's no way to mute it, unless there's some super-secret button combination. So this weekend, it's going under the knife, to get the same surgery I give to some of my backup power supplies: A piezoectomy.

Model # is ADEW30LNL1. (I guess that's a Walmart-only model#; the one listed at GE's site is ADER30LN.)
I should've gotten one with more capacity though. This one manages to fill up the bucket in 8-12 hours. (I live about 0.4mi from the shore of Lake Erie.)

Other considerations:
- Watch for ones with a high minimum temperature. A Goldstar unit I used to have specified a minimum temperature of 65°F, and they mean it. Anything below that, and various coils and pipes start to ice up, and it doesn't seem to have any sort of frost detection system. This GE one specifies a minimum temperature of 41°F.

- Heat generation. A dehumidifier can definitely warm up a room, though this of course depends on things like insulation, ventilation, and the size of the room. Right now, it's on Medium, which is spec'd as being 95CFM. Air temp going in: 75°F. Outgoing: 95°F. (My first run-through of the thermodynamics of that indicates that that's around 589W of energy...but my Kill-A-Watt meter says the thing's only using 389W......my thermo teacher is disappoint - or else that 95CFM figure is incorrect.)

Incoming temp: 24C.
Outgoing temp: 35C.
95CFM = 2.69m³/min = 0.04483m³/sec
Cp@300K = 1005 J/kg*K
Δh = Cp(T2-T1) = 1005(35-24) = 11055 J/kg

Q = mass flow rate * h
ρ@300K = 1.177 kg/m³
m = 0.04483 * 1.177 = 0.05277kg/sec
Q = 0.05277 * 11055
Q = 583 J/sec
o_O

Well THAT was fun. :)

Maybe the extra energy is from the water in the air condensing on the coils? Or else it's a bunch of fapping thermogremlins.

In any case:
300W = 1024 BTU/hr.
583W = 2010 BTU/hr

It's certainly no spaceheater, but it's definitely going to dump some heat into the house.

Last edited:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
A small dab of ductseal over the hole on the piezo buzzer calms it down considerably without completely muting it altogether. ;)

I just got a GE thing from Walmart. It's actually rather nice - it's the quietest dehumidifier I've ever used, though it's also somewhat lower capacity. It's about 15 feet away from me, and all I hear is the sound of air rushing from its exit vent - very low compressor noise.
My one complaint: The beeping. Every button-press creates a loud beep, and when the bucket is full, it beeps steadily for a full 10 seconds. Evidently there's no way to mute it, unless there's some super-secret button combination. So this weekend, it's going under the knife, to get the same surgery I give to some of my backup power supplies: A piezoectomy.

Model # is ADEW30LNL1. (I guess that's a Walmart-only model#; the one listed at GE's site is ADER30LN.)
I should've gotten one with more capacity though. This one manages to fill up the bucket in 8-12 hours. (I live about 0.4mi from the shore of Lake Erie.)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
A small dab of ductseal over the hole on the piezo buzzer calms it down considerably without completely muting it altogether. ;)
True, I have done that. I'm not sure which is more satisfying though - hearing it desperately attempting to beep loudly, but failing, or hearing it do nothing at all. :D

(Or maybe replace the beeper with a sound module that'll make it meow instead.)
Or possibly this.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I've had a Colby (I think that is the brand) de-humidifier for oh 16 years now. No problems. It wasn't very expensive either.

Edit: It's Danby.

Last edited:

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Boy are you going to be disappointed.

Oh really? Please expound upon your theory? I am extremely interested?

If it's about electricity costs, I really doubt I'll be disappointed. Last time I checked my AC is connected to a dual 30A circuit. I know that doesn't mean it's drawing 60 amps, but I'm willing to bet that it's drawing quite a bit over 30 amps between the condenser pump, inside air circulating fan, and the outdoor condenser coil fan.

@Jeff7: Thanks for the recommendation (and the super fun math). I'll check that unit out tomorrow when I go shopping for this bad boy.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

If it's about electricity costs, I really doubt I'll be disappointed. Last time I checked my AC is connected to a dual 30A circuit. I know that doesn't mean it's drawing 60 amps, but I'm willing to bet that it's drawing quite a bit that it's over 30 between the condenser pump, inside air circulating fan, and the outdoor condenser coil fan.

@Jeff7: Thanks for the recommendation (and the super fun math). I'll check that unit out tomorrow when I go shopping for this bad boy.

Double pole 30A CB means 30A on each leg - that's 7.2kVA (30A x 240V).
Condensing units and air handlers are USUALLY on different circuits. The 30A double pole CB is usually wired to a disconnect switch on the wall next to the condensing unit. This circuit powers the outdoor (condenser) fan motor, compressor and crankcase heater. The contactor power is 24VAC and usually is supplied by a transformer mounted inside the air handler. Some systems may have this transformer in the outside unit. The air handler blower is usually on its own circuit, however. (but does NOT have to be either)

Small dehumidifier hermetic compressors are typically 1/4hp or less. This is equal to a small window shaker of 6000 btu/hr or less. A CAC outdoor unit is usually between 18,000 and 60,000 btu/hr (1 1/2 - 5 tons). Quite a bit larger!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Well, imagine taking an air conditioner and placing it inside.
Normally, it takes energy from the air in your house and dumps it outside. Put your hand near the exhaust, and imagine all that hot air going right back into your house.

That's all a dehumidifier is - it's an air conditioning unit, except its thermal dumping ground is right in your living space.

If humidity is the only problem you're having inside, but the temperature is a little on the cool side, then you'll be alright. A dehumidifier is only going to make it warmer inside, unless you plan on carrying out some truly carnal violations of thermodynamics.;)

A note of caution: I have no information on longevity of this GE thing. It's only about a month old.

Last edited:

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
If humidity is the only problem you're having inside, but the temperature is a little on the cool side, then you'll be alright. A dehumidifier is only going to make it warmer inside, unless you plan on carrying out some truly carnal violations of thermodynamics.;)

A note of caution: I have no information on longevity of this GE thing. It's only about a month old.

That's exactly the issue. We haven't gotten above 78 on the warmest days of the year here (that's about 3 days straight of 95+ outside). I knew going into this that the unit would pump warm air into the house (just like a fridge), but to be honest, I'll take 78 degrees and 40% humidity over the usual 72 degrees and 55-60% humidity we've had. It's hard to justify running the AC at 70 degrees just to dry out the air :)

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
That's exactly the issue. We haven't gotten above 78 on the warmest days of the year here (that's about 3 days straight of 95+ outside). I knew going into this that the unit would pump warm air into the house (just like a fridge), but to be honest, I'll take 78 degrees and 40% humidity over the usual 72 degrees and 55-60% humidity we've had. It's hard to justify running the AC at 70 degrees just to dry out the air :)
If you really want to save money, just tough it out and not run anything. The fact that you want to take down the humidity from 60% to 40% in 75F weather says to me you have nothing better to do. You're splitting hairs and you don't realize that there are people who are in far hotter climates that aren't running the A/C and manage just fine.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
If you really want to save money, just tough it out and not run anything. The fact that you want to take down the humidity from 60% to 40% in 75F weather says to me you have nothing better to do. You're splitting hairs and you don't realize that there are people who are in far hotter climates that aren't running the A/C and manage just fine.

fleabag lecturing others on what is a productive use of their time ....oh, the ironing....

Last edited:

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
fleabag lecturing others on what is a productive use of their time ....oh, the ironing....
It's all relative really, and as an energy conscious person, I should know what is "splitting hairs" when it comes to energy saving. There is no irony here, there is just you being an idiot and me responding to you. Shit, if you get down to it, all you people posting here are wasting your time and should be out making some real money instead of worrying about saving $100 here and $1000 there.. After all, this forum was created by millionaires.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
It's all relative really, and as an energy conscious person, I should know what is "splitting hairs" when it comes to energy saving. There is no irony here, there is just you being an idiot and me responding to you. Shit, if you get down to it, all you people posting here are wasting your time and should be out making some real money instead of worrying about saving $100 here and $1000 there.. After all, this forum was created by millionaires.

No, this forum was created by some teenager that actually did something with himself. Kinda puts things in perspective for you I'm sure.