Anyone think Iraq's Air Force will try and fight when we surround Baghdad?

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Iraq has some solid aircraft (MiG-29, MiG-25, ect.). I'm wondering if when we surround and begin pounding Baghdad if the Iraqi Air Force will try some sort of suicidal attack against coaltion air forces...

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
im sure the airfields have long since been ruined with cluster bombs

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
maybe, but how many of the aircraft have been targeted? Cluster bomb damage cane be repaired quickly

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Grey
im sure the airfields have long since been ruined with cluster bombs

as have the planes, they showed BDA video of planes being hit..

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I think most (if not all) of the Iraq air force was flown to Iran in the last gulf war. Iran said thank you and has not been inclined to return the planes. Ha Ha.

If Iraq does have any planes left and they do mange to get off the ground both the crew and the aircraft will have very short, exciting lives.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
they have about 100 or so that is in flyable condition. Chances of them getting off the ground is somewhat good but they are no match for american pilots and airplanes then again like in ground war anything can happen and they maybe able to shoot down one or two american air planes before being shutdown.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Iran said thank you and has not been inclined to return the planes.
I think there about a hundred fairly new Migs in Iran. Can you imagine what the storage bill is on those things?

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Ylen13
they have about 100 or so that is in flyable condition. Chances of them getting off the ground is somewhat good but they are no match for american pilots and airplanes then again like in ground war anything can happen and they maybe able to shoot down one or two american air planes before being shutdown.

Iraq's air force has NO chance... Their airfields have either been taken over by allied force or bombed to hell... Even IF they have a usable airfield and planes left, Central command already said they are closely monitoring anything that MIGHT take off... I doubt they would last long if they try to take off...

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Pastfinder
Iraq has some solid aircraft (MiG-29, MiG-25, ect.). I'm wondering if when we surround and begin pounding Baghdad if the Iraqi Air Force will try some sort of suicidal attack against coaltion air forces...

If they have aircrafts, why aren't they using them now?

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Originally posted by: BCYL

Iraq's air force has NO chance... Their airfields have either been taken over by allied force or bombed to hell... Even IF they have a usable airfield and planes left, Central command already said they are closely monitoring anything that MIGHT take off... I doubt they would last long if they try to take off...

Don't be too overconfident. Once one lets their guard down, that is when the enemy will strike...

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Remember what Rumsfeld said? "Its not air superiority, we have total dominance in the air
Iraqi air force = non existant at this point.

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Originally posted by: rufruf44
Remember what Rumsfeld said? "Its not air superiority, we have total dominance in the air
Iraqi air force = non existant at this point.

Ya, I just want to try and get some sort of thread going by proposing this idea...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
One of the News Channel Generals said "If they Fly they die" I guess the Wogs who are smart enough to Fly a Jet are also smart enough to protect their assests.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: BCYL

Don't be too overconfident. Once one lets their guard down, that is when the enemy will strike...

That's the whole point... Central Command ISNT being overconfident... They are closely monitoring anything that takes off... The Iraqis know this, so I dont think they will attempt to use whatever air power they have left...

A fighter jet trying to take off isnt exactly hard to detect...

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Anything leaving the ground in Iraq that is not part of the coallition, is a target. How on earth are they going to get airborn? The skys over Iraq are owned by the USAF and British coallition. There is no airspace for a mig to fly in, let alone get six feet off the ground before being lasered in.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I am just about as worried about the Iraqi Airforce as I am about the Iraqi navy......;)

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I read they only have around 30 planes now, mostly soviet migs, and their condition and ability to fly is questionable.

HappyNic

Oct 14, 2001
But if they have underground runways then they can probably get some jet off the ground before the US can do anything. But with all those Max out Patriot missles, US and Britsh jets everyway, I don't expect for them to get far. Most likely their Jets would be use for Air to ground , aganist the M1A1 Abram.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
I read they only have around 30 planes now, mostly soviet migs, and their condition and ability to fly is questionable.

I am surprise they still have 30 planes at this stage of the war... I would imagine almost all their planes would've been bombed during the first few days of the war...

Kraeji

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 1999

We're overconfident..

But i bet those USAF generals arent. They probably are itching for some enemy migs to pop up and send out our finest for some dog fighting

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Finaly a clear prospective on the things... :D

I am just about as worried about the Iraqi Airforce as I am about the Iraqi navy......

Iraqi`s air force would have to blow up balloons and the navy would have to raise sail...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyNic
But if they have underground runways then they can probably get some jet off the ground before the US can do anything. But with all those Max out Patriot missles, US and Britsh jets everyway, I don't expect for them to get far. Most likely their Jets would be use for Air to ground , aganist the M1A1 Abram.
WTF, underground Runways? Ahahaha!