Anyone still playing Guild Wars?

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
I just got back into it, and am loving it! The community is much more mature then most MMO's, and pvp is still fun as it had been years ago! I only have the original and factions...

I will probally pick up nightfall and eye of the north later, but once GW2 comes out it will probally wipe out the community! The game is much more challenging now that perma has been nerfed.

Haven't played GW? try it, you might really enjoy it! :D

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Loved GW series, have all the collector editions and EotN. Took a break for like a year and recently went to go play again but couldn't log in and even using password retrieval didn't work. So emailed them and after getting this sorted out I log in only to see my Dervish I had spent soo much time on with full Primeval and all the rare Scyths as well as all my cash and collector edition pet were gone. Other characters were stripped too, but my Dervish was the only one I really cared about.

Sent them an email and NCSoft was like, sorry we can't do anything cause apparently my account was hacked sometime in that year that I took off and the account was closed down.

I raged and uninstalled it from my computer and am still angry when I think about it.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
ugh, no way! I absolutely HATED that game. I did grit my teeth playing it long enough to get to the end, blah blah.

Only 8 skills available out of a list of possibly 100? Fuck that. Stupid targetting system. Stupid instance-only areas outside of cities. Stupid group management. Absolutely ENRAGING user interface.

That game is the fucking WORST.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Obviously you didnt hate it enough if you completed it. I only got a couple characters to level 8, and that was miserable.
I like the game world, graphics and art design are more than acceptable. Interface wasnt too bad because you can customize every single aspect of it (something that needs to be standard in most games) and theres a cool selection of special powers, though I agree only being allowed to equip a handful at a time sucks ass.

My beef was finding people to help me run around and explore new areas. You can never run fast enough to get past tough monsters and find new lands. And eventually enemy kills only give you 1 or 2 XP so you cant wander and level up to get stronger. You have to do the quests which are not always convenient with a group of real people. And the hirelings are decent but use poor AI.
I also like how the game itself was designed. Instead of a million dinky little files scattered all over the place, they had two files. One was the executable, the other was a huge single data file. And theres no registry entries cuz when I copied the folder over to another hard drive and reinstalled Windows, the game loaded up fine without any issues.
MORE games need to be designed exactly like this. It may seem stupid, but it fixes so many issues, trust me. I've been gaming since the DOS 4.0 days, and things have not improved much from an efficiency standpoint.

But I dont play much these days. Its still a long ass grind, which is totally stupid because they arent making money when you stay on for months at a time. Its free to play. Theres no reason to stretch things out with stupid fetch quests.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I think I got to level 12 and then quit. The instancing is OK but instancing EVERYTHING is just horrid. Maybe it would be better if they grouped random people in the same zone together but they don't.

Oct 16, 1999
I dumped a ton of time into this game and really enjoyed it. A good guild really helps with the experience, as well as heroes so you're not as reliant on grouping with random people.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I dumped a ton of time into this game and really enjoyed it. A good guild really helps with the experience, as well as heroes so you're not as reliant on grouping with random people.

Yea I played a ton of hours as well. Heroes do help a ton. It was a really fun game.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
the limited skills is really the only thing i dislike about it, everything else is pretty good for what it is.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
News Flash: MMO= Massively Multiplayer Online (Role Playing Game), this game qualifies for all 6 categories.

Here's another for yah, L2P, look it up.

But it's not massively multiplayer. How many can you have playing together at once, eight? Hardly "massive".

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
But it's not massively multiplayer. How many can you have playing together at once, eight? Hardly "massive".

Party size has nothing to do with it. You can have MMO's that are browser based with absolutely no party capability involved. You fail, sir. :p

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
still play now, have all 9 chars maxed out.
only hop on to help friends or when a new farming build comes out.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Guess it depends on what you wanted out of the game. I played it and loved it. It was kind of like a multiplayer version of an action RPG. What you have to understand about the skill slots is that the game was meant to be for PvP. The PvE was just an extra. That's also the reason for the lower level limit and why they didn't increase it with any expansions.
I enjoyed the game since I could come back to it at different points and finish the missions without worrying about availability. Also I liked that there was no real reason to grind. You hit level 20 pretty quick, especially in the last 2, and the weapons are pretty standard.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Party size has nothing to do with it. You can have MMO's that are browser based with absolutely no party capability involved. You fail, sir. :p

Even the creators don't call it a MMO. They've been pretty clear on it. Thats like saying Warcraft 3, or C&C is a MMO. Sure, there are a crap ton of people you can chat with in the lobby (towns), but once you start up a game (leaving town, to go anywhere) it's just you and whoever you selected to play with.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Even the creators don't call it a MMO. They've been pretty clear on it. Thats like saying Warcraft 3, or C&C is a MMO. Sure, there are a crap ton of people you can chat with in the lobby (towns), but once you start up a game (leaving town, to go anywhere) it's just you and whoever you selected to play with.

a similar reason that DDO failed

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, the massive part means theres a lot of people on the game servers. Regular instances in WoW have 5 people, and thats still a MMO.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Yeah, the massive part means theres a lot of people on the game servers. Regular instances in WoW have 5 people, and thats still a MMO.

There is a major difference, IMO, between there being some instances in WoW and the whole game outside of the glorified chat room being instanced like in Guild Wars.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I just picked up Eye of the North and my wife, son and I are all going through it.

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004

No the "massively" part means massive amounts of people can play in the same world at the same time.

That's not true in Guild Wars.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
No the "massively" part means massive amounts of people can play in the same world at the same time.

That's not true in Guild Wars.

But they can. Just not all of it all the time. It doesn't matter how you spin it, Guild Wars is an MMO. Period.