Anyone Running NiceHash?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I ran it for a while then stopped.
Since bitcoin is up, I logged back to see if I had any balance and there's a few buck there.
Went to reinstall and my AV says it's a virus. Downloading from Github.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, most A/V flag it because it's a "miner software", and oftentimes, RATs and Trojans, bundle "miner software" to create background money-making botnets on people's PCs. Which really doesn't help things when YOU, the owner of the PC and system Admin, WANT to actually run a "miner software".

So, normally, you have to create an exclusion in your A/V. I use the downloaded .ZIP version of NH, and exclude the entire directory. (I just use Windows Defender, which is straight-forward and simple.)

I've also heard that BitDefender DOES NOT RESPECT EXCLUSIONS, and will flag the program(s), even if you DO add an exclusion. Ditch BitDefender.

As long as you downloaded it from Nicehash's own Github page, it should be "clean", so just add the exclusion and go about your business.

It's a good time to be mining. Making over $65 USD / day now that ETH is up. (25 devices mining.) Wondering how long this is going to last, or if BTC and ETH are now just going to go up and up, and Fiat is going to lose value relatively, so Fiat value goes up and up. I hope that I don't have to carry a wheelbarrow full of cash to the grocery store to get bread and milk, this time next year. Or maybe I'll have a Crypto debit card.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i ran it years ago and got a couple bucks of bitcoin, but it wasn't really worth the electricity

but i just logged in recently and those BTC were now worth 15$, so i transferred them to my coinbase account

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I’m running the regular Ethereum only miner on my machine right now. I’m principally against wasting finite natural resources to mine FakeCoins ... but I need heat until April or so anyway and it keeps my office warm and the electric heater off. It’s good for $80/week with the current ethereum price run up on my 3080, with memory overclocked about 12-13%.

Don’t forget that the tax man will come for it. I’m just going to HODL because it’s not even worth the effort to deal with reporting this amount. Maybe it will be worth something in the future.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I’m just going to HODL because it’s not even worth the effort to deal with reporting this amount. Maybe it will be worth something in the future.

that's basically the only reason i have a couple ETH and part of a BTC

just in case they're worth some ridiculous amount in 10 or 20 years

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
What do I need to do to withdraw the funds?

when i wanted to do it, everyone was suggesting

1. create a coinbase account
2. link nicehash account to coinbase account
3. in nicehash, withdraw BTC to coinbase account
4. in coinbase, exchange BTC for USD

so that's what i did and it worked fine

Reactions: Captante and olds

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

Thanks

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
How much of a security risk is there using this? What about the 3rd party miners?

I already have a 3080 and leave the PC running all day, but access financial info occasionally.

Reactions: Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Yeah, I'm basically doing this method, except that I'm going to HODL the earned BTC that I make this winter. The $6 a day that I'm going to make doing this isn't really worth my time, and I'm just doing this to keep my home office warm.

I learned my lesson about this back in 2013, where I spent my $50 of mined crypto for a fancy flashlight that broke a few years later. While I don't actually expect my Bitcoin to be worth a million dollars 10 years from now, I'd probably safer to assume it will instead of buying another $40,000 flashlight.

If you sign up for a Coinbase account, they also have promo videos that you can watch for a few bucks of various shitcoins. If you sell them and buy some Bitcoin or Ethereum with the proceeds, that might also be worth something someday. If you live in the US, you're supposed to report the crypto sale on your taxes, so maybe it's not worth the hassle?

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
How much of a security risk is there using this? What about the 3rd party miners?

I already have a 3080 and leave the PC running all day, but access financial info occasionally.

I only leave the miner running when I'm not using the PC. Nicehash is kinda distracting otherwise, because it will randomly kill the miner that's running and launch a different miner several times during the day.

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
I only leave the miner running when I'm not using the PC. Nicehash is kinda distracting otherwise, because it will randomly kill the miner that's running and launch a different miner several times during the day.

Do you let it use the 3rd party miners?

Any concern with it accessing passwords, etc?

Forgive my ignorance if this is obvious info. The majority of my computer knowledge comes from this site, google and Reddit...

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

How accurate did you find the "profit calculator" ?

Its telling me $11 per day but I assume it would need to be running 24/7 to do that? I do have my primary PC running all the time but a lot of that time I'm gaming on the 3080.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I only ran it for a little bit and haven't run it for months.

When I started this thread, there was $75 in the account. It's now $98 and I haven't done any mining. Just chump change but better than zero.

I tried to move it to Coinbase as suggested but it asked for a 2FA code that I am not getting or unsure where to get.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I only ran it for a little bit and haven't run it for months.

When I started this thread, there was $75 in the account. It's now $98 and I haven't done any mining. Just chump change but better than zero.

I tried to move it to Coinbase as suggested but it asked for a 2FA code that I am not getting or unsure where to get.

You would probably use Google Authenticator for that.

Reactions: olds and Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
How accurate did you find the "profit calculator" ?

Its telling me $11 per day but I assume it would need to be running 24/7 to do that? I do have my primary PC running all the time but a lot of that time I'm gaming on the 3080.

I found it to be overly optimistic. I should be making $9 a day according to their calculator, but it's more like $6 (5 Euro) a day if I leave the GPU miner on my 2060 Super running all day.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I found it to be overly optimistic. I should be making $9 a day according to their calculator, but it's more like $6 (5 Euro) a day if I leave the GPU miner running all day.

Figures ... I'd be talking $3-$4 a day maximum sounds like.

Not sure its worth the wear and tear on the 3080. :confused_old:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Do you let it use the 3rd party miners?

Any concern with it accessing passwords, etc?

Forgive my ignorance if this is obvious info. The majority of my computer knowledge comes from this site, google and Reddit...

I wouldn't run the miner on anything that has sensitive info on it. I'm just running it on my newer gaming PC, and my daughter's older hand-me-down gaming PC. That old GeForce 1060 still packs some power, and can mine about $3 of crypto a day on it's own.

Reactions: otho11 and Captante

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
I started using Nicehash a couple of weeks ago, today, and I have made about $100, so far, with a 3070 and 1660 super in my desktop. I had never mined or done anything with crypto before now. So, just to see if it was worth it, I set it up to run on the 3070 in my desktop (which is usually turned off for most of the day). After a few days of making about $6-7/day, I looked around and found a good deal on a 1660S, so I bought it and plugged in into the spare PCIe slot. Now, I am making about $9-10/day on a computer that normally did not do much. I plan to continue letting it mine as long as it makes financial sense to do so. It's not a lot of money, but it's more than I had before.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
i thought about running nicehash on my 3090 but i don't want to burn the thing up

My 2060 seems to stay at 67C while it's mining, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. That card would probably make about $8 a day mining.

That said, I don't really feel like this is worth my time. I now waste at least 10 minutes a day checking the site to babysit my 2 miners and check my account balance. I just want to hit the 0.001 Bitcoin withdraw minimum so I can take my meager winnings and stash them in Coinbase. If Ponyo is right and Bitcoin is worth a million dollars each a few years from now, maybe I can buy myself a used Tesla with it someday :)

Last edited: