Anyone picking up/awaiting Metro 2033

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
oh my, spiritual successor to STALKER?

Guess I am buying this tonight...

In terms of game setting, atmosphere and context, yes, in terms of game-play not really, Metro 2033 is entirely story-driven similarly to Half-Life or Bioshock or anything along those veins, it's absolutely not open-ended in any kind of "Zone" like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is, but with that said it might well still be a good story-driven FPS.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
It's supposed to use DX11 and Physx. It looks like it could be cool but I'm wating for a demo/reviews. Too many games look good but end up sucking. I played the demo for AvP and it made me not get the game since the demo sucked.

Ya, i'm getting excited for this game, but i'ma stick with this advice and wait for proper reviews. I dont' want to get burned.

Hoping for good things though.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Ya, i'm getting excited for this game, but i'ma stick with this advice and wait for proper reviews. I dont' want to get burned.

Hoping for good things though.

Yea it looks really cool and it looks like it has a cool dark setting. I hope it's a good game. Been wanting a good singleplayer experience for a while.

kollkolen

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah I agree I really haven't payed much attention to this game but every review it has gotten has really been good. So it has peaked my interest but like you said it's only a single player campaign game. I might get it when the price drops.
Yeah I agree I really haven't payed much attention to this game but every review it has gotten has really been good. So it has peaked my interest but like you said it's only a single player campaign game. I might get it when the price drops.

konrad74

Mar 11, 2010
It's out and there's only 2 reviews on Metacritic??? Seems weird to me.

Yeah it did seem weird to me as well. It's also intersting that the reviews have been fluctuating quite a bit. I believe anything above a 9 is to high but anything blow a 7.5 is too low. With that said, I found it really interesting when IGN gave it a 7.5 for graphics. What? Graphics is arguably the games strongest features besides story...

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've put a couple of hours into the game and gotta say, I am loving it. I have been craving a game like this for sometime.

The game simply does an incredible job of pulling you into it. Feeling like you are barely surviving and can't waste supplies. It has a nice amount of creepyness to it as well, with many areas very dark or completely dark and not knowing what is around the corner or further down the tunnel, making you not want to just go running around making lots of noise and having your flashlight beaming all the time since the light can draw attention to you.

Coming up to various enemies and thinking about how to take them out or avoid them, or simply taking just a few out if possible all to conserve ammo. Most the guns and ammo you use are made in the metro so quality is usually sketchy at best at times (there are some guns that are before the they had to go underground and ammo as well, the ammo is much better but you don't want to use it unless you must cause it is also your currency in game) and it fits so well with how everything ties together.

I find myself playing as stealthy as I can to avoid conflicts to save ammo and if I am in an area that requires me to wear my gas mask I really make sure to becareful fighting so that it doesn't become damage and eventually break if you get smacked around enough. Watching out for booby traps like trip wires and ghetto alarm systems (tin cans hanging on strings from the ceiling so if you hit them they make noise) to broke glass on the ground that can give your position away.

I'm happy with this game so far, needed something to wash the bad taste of SC2 from the mouth :D

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
how processor intensive is this? I'm getting long in the tooth and not feeling like upgrading yet.

I have a 4890 so I think I'll be fine at 480x640

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I've put a couple of hours into the game and gotta say, I am loving it. I have been craving a game like this for sometime.....

I'm happy with this game so far, needed something to wash the bad taste of SC2 from the mouth :D

Thanks for the mini review Kaotik. So those of us that like the atmosphere of the Stalkers will like it? It's just more of an on rails shooter sort of like HL2 in that environment then? Is the stealth, real stealth gameplay - like the Thiefs, Chronicles of Riddick, or Deus Ex? Like does it work to sneak? If so, I'm all over this.

It's on sale at gogamer for $38 shipped if anyone is interested: http://www.gogamer.com/Metro-2033-f...VproductId98054114VVcatId551271VVviewprod.htm

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Thanks for the mini review Kaotik. So those of us that like the atmosphere of the Stalkers will like it? It's just more of an on rails shooter sort of like HL2 in that environment then? Is the stealth, real stealth gameplay - like the Thiefs, Chronicles of Riddick, or Deus Ex? Like does it work to sneak? If so, I'm all over this.

It's on sale at gogamer for $38 shipped if anyone is interested: http://www.gogamer.com/Metro-2033-f...VproductId98054114VVcatId551271VVviewprod.htm

The atmosphere is much darker in this game then in the Stalker series, this game seems to do a much better job pulling you in, probably because it is much smaller in size since you can't go wandering everywhere so the devs were able to control everything a lot better for how the user would experience things.

Yeah, as you say it is more of an on rails like HL2. You get fed into one area into the next and since a lot of the time you are in the subway tunnels there obviously isn't too much openness to explore but you do get some areas to go check out like side tunnels and when you are top side on the surface you can explore various buildings for caches of supplies.

As for the stealth aspect, it seems to vary from situation to situation. There have been some areas I came up to where I was able to completely avoid conflict but these seem to be kinda rare (or I am not so great at not killing :p ). There are situations where taking out a couple of guys but leaving the bulk alone have worked, and there has been some areas where you just have to kill everyone.

But all that seems to vary a lot of per area, what weapons you use (throwing knifes, silencer weapons), and how you play. Stealth definitely is an aspect though, like I said you have quiet use weapons and a light meter to know how well you are hidden in the shadows and you can turn on/off various sources of light (like lamps for example) you come across.

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
Yeah it did seem weird to me as well. It's also intersting that the reviews have been fluctuating quite a bit. I believe anything above a 9 is to high but anything blow a 7.5 is too low. With that said, I found it really interesting when IGN gave it a 7.5 for graphics. What? Graphics is arguably the games strongest features besides story...

there is no review from ign yet.
EDIT: i see the UK review for Xbox360...no PC yet

konrad74

Mar 11, 2010
While this game is not perfect, IMO, it is a great game. One thing I really like about Metro 2033 is the attention to detail.I remember walking over to a bunch of friendly people having a conversation. All of a sudden I was being attacked by something on the ground. What am I being attacked by, a mouse?!?! After panicking for a sec while trying to find out this attacker was I realized I was standing in the fire that someone was cooking something over. I was impressed that some details like this were not overlooked. It's always a pet peeve of mine when playing a game and I can walk through a fire and nothing happens.

Cheeseplug

Dec 16, 2008
What I really like about it is that there is the option for Russian or English audio and either Russian or English subtitles. It is good practice for those of us learning the language. It feels more authentic.

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
Just played about 30mins of the game.
Now I know why IGN gave 7.5/10 on graphics. Some scenes are great to look at, but it's no Crysis, ME2, BC2 nor MW2. I'd say somewhere along AvP (the new release) and Stalker.

Running this @ 2560x1600 with my 5870, everything maxed except AA. DX11 was unplayable, or I should say impossible to even move with it.

The games seems like Doom3 + Stalker, where the mutants just pop out and you shoot.
Very disappointed so far....as I was expecting somewhere along the line of Fallout3, Fear, BC2, ME2, MW2, etc.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Just played about 30mins of the game.
Now I know why IGN gave 7.5/10 on graphics. Some scenes are great to look at, but it's no Crysis, ME2, BC2 nor MW2. I'd say somewhere along AvP (the new release) and Stalker.

Running this @ 2560x1600 with my 5870, everything maxed except AA. DX11 was unplayable, or I should say impossible to even move with it.

The games seems like Doom3 + Stalker, where the mutants just pop out and you shoot.
Very disappointed so far....as I was expecting somewhere along the line of Fallout3, Fear, BC2, ME2, MW2, etc.

With DX11, run it with Tessellation/Depth of field off. DoF has a huge performance hit it seems which is retarded. Try with Tessellation off and on.

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
thanks!
DX11 works great with DoF off. Tessellation ON works fine under max everything.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Biggest gripe with the game is combat, it's terrible.

A lot, most, of the cover might as well be paper mache for all the good it does. The stealth element is done wrong also, i've had numerous encounters where my visibility is zero and the enemy AI pops out from cover knowing my exact location firing the first shots.... why incorporate a stealth element if I can't sneak without having AI pick me off from stealth?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Biggest gripe with the game is combat, it's terrible.

A lot, most, of the cover might as well be paper mache for all the good it does. The stealth element is done wrong also, i've had numerous encounters where my visibility is zero and the enemy AI pops out from cover knowing my exact location firing the first shots.... why incorporate a stealth element if I can't sneak without having AI pick me off from stealth?

The combat works pretty good actually. When you are using homemade weapons and dirty ammo shit doesn't work to good. When you get some pre bomb weapons the shooting becomes a lot better.

As for stealth, are you running around or not crouching, your guy makes a good bit of noise walking instead of crouching and it can give your position away. Also stepping on pieces of broken wood and broken glass and hitting hanging tin cans give your position away near instantly regardless of the lighting situation.

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
About 1.5hr into the game so far. The game is way too linear for me. I thought this game was suppose to be a bit of open world....I hope it does later in the game.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
The combat works pretty good actually. When you are using homemade weapons and dirty ammo shit doesn't work to good. When you get some pre bomb weapons the shooting becomes a lot better.

As for stealth, are you running around or not crouching, your guy makes a good bit of noise walking instead of crouching and it can give your position away. Also stepping on pieces of broken wood and broken glass and hitting hanging tin cans give your position away near instantly regardless of the lighting situation.

Cool, i'll keep that in mind going forward. I'm always crouching when i'm stealth mode, just picked up night vision.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
About 1.5hr into the game so far. The game is way too linear for me. I thought this game was suppose to be a bit of open world....I hope it does later in the game.

Just curious, how did you think this game was going to be an open world when it is based in a subway system mostly?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Ya, used stealth along a few missions. The AI jumps out when I cross a certain threshold not related to how quiet or sneaky I am. Bummer.