Anyone know a good way to buy a solid amount of rocksalt cheap?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Where would I go? Buying single bags from the grocery store isn't that expensive, but there must be a cheaper way.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Bulk rocksalt eh?

ChemicalEquipmentLabs.com sells them in up to 80 lb bags but it looks like they're based in the Tri-State area. They do say this though: "Out of Area - special arrangements can be made if you are outside of PA, NJ, NY, DE or MD".

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Now THAT'S bulk...Why that'd be larger than an alternator...hell, that'd be larger than a radiator!

Depending on where you live, you may have lots of local options. Do you need water-softener salt, rock salt to melt ice, what exact purpose will the rock salt be used for? Buying 50 lb bags will be your most common option.

You could see if any of these links actually offer what you want:
http://www.thomasnet.com/vermont/rock-salt-4335-1.html

And if you're willing to pay shipping:
http://www.flatrockbagging.com...eControl/rocksalt.html
25lb bags / 100 pallet
50lb bags / 49 pallet
80lb bags / 30 pallet
2000 lb Bulk Bags

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm looking to buy it to melt ice on my driveway. I figure, based on how the current winter has gone (its a new place) 500 pounds should be enough to that I would have about zero chance to run out in the winter. Then I would just top that off every year.

Does rocksalt break down over time when stored indoors (a garage or shed)? Or does it have a pretty long shelf life?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Does rocksalt break down over time when stored indoors (a garage or shed)? Or does it have a pretty long shelf life?

caking (clumping) would be the main issue
if it gets wet, you'll end up with a big blob of salt

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Your best bet is to buy it at the end of the season when Home Depot and Lowes are clearing it out. It gets down to $2/$3 per bag.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We have a number of places around here where you can get a pickup truck full of rock salt if you want that much. Try some sand and gravel places.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I grabbed a couple 50lb bags from Walmart @$6.50 each. Of course, if there's foul weather in the forecast, they usually only seem to have the 20lb bags @$4.00.

Nov 5, 2001
if you put that much rocksalt on a driveway in a year, for several years, you are going to have serious problems with concrete spalling and degradation. Not a good idea.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
if you put that much rocksalt on a driveway in a year, for several years, you are going to have serious problems with concrete spalling and degradation. Not a good idea.

What concrete? My foundation?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002

No, he means your driveway, or whatever concrete you pour it over.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Analog

No, he means your driveway, or whatever concrete you pour it over.

Oh...my driveway is gravel so I don't think thats going to be a problem. I don't plan to use it on my walkways because they're nice brick and I don't really want to ruin them. Plus, the walkways aren't a steep grade that I have to drive my car up to get onto the road. :p

Edit: Some of the concrete in my garage looks a little degraded, I think its from salt on the car melting off onto it and leaving a briney mess. I'm thinking of doing one of those garage sealings for that...not sure how much those usually run.