Anyone here buy their tires from Costco?

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
I'm a Costco member, and our 2015 Highlander needs a new set of tires. I did a ton of research and checked out tirerack, and the general consensus is the Michelin Defenders are the best choice.

Dealer quoted my $1,154 out the door.
Costco.com is quoting me $826 installed before tax (so about $900 out the door).

Quite the delta! So I'm wondering if anyone here used their tire service before? If their service is anything like the store itself, it should be a safe bet. Plus they offer free tire rotations, balancing, and repairs for the life of the tire you buy.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Yup... worth it. Like with all chains/branches actual expertise can vary from store to store, but at least you got Costco as their parent.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
used it twice, no problems - saved a bunch of money, hassle free

ordered online, got email notice that tires were at the store ( you have some days before the order is cancelled )
park in one of the rows near the tire garage
no appointment or anything, hand the guy the order printout/key/lock socket ( i think they handled all the tpms system stuff, balancing, torque, etc)
go fill up on costco samples
drive home.

they put a sticker up in the upper left of your window with the date and 'nitrogen filled' printed on there

i guess they did a real good job cleaning/seating the bead. i check the pressures from time to time and in the past 3+ years the pressures have been good. i can't remember having to haul out the compressor.

Plus they offer free tire rotations, balancing, and repairs for the life of the tire you buy.
never had to use the tire rotation or repair services though

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Their shop is always so busy that getting a tire rotation could take some time. I bought 4 tires there and am very happy with the service and parts.

Don't forget Sams Club or BJs. Both have tires and have good prices.

Feb 25, 2011
Their shop is always so busy that getting a tire rotation could take some time.

I think they "prioritize." I can get new tires in an hour or two, but getting a rotation is like a 4-6 hour wait.

I usually have the oil change place rotate the tires too, instead.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
The only problem I had after buying tires there was after I decided to not renew my membership. I was told that "officially" I have to be a current member to get the rotation, balancing, repairs, etc. That being said, after I was told that they said they would go ahead and rotate, balance my tires anyway.

-KeithP

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I pretty much get all my tires from Costco. They have good prices and service. Now you can schedule appointments online or by phone so you don't have to do walk-in and deal with the long wait times. I just scheduled online free tire rotation and balance for my Tundra. It's easy. And I've used the free flat repair service multiple times and along with hazard warranty. No hassle. Costco only carries limited selection but I'm not picky and don't care as long as it's decent tire.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
costco is great service but discount tire direct has better prices when they have deals. discount tire store service is just ok.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I have had good luck with Michelin Defenders, they are on several of my family's vehicles and have proven long wearing and sure footed. Around here, Costco has the best deal on Michelins, so they'll get our business until that changes.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I got tires from Costco once, and never did it again. The wait time for rotations & nitrogen refills was just awful. I will give them another shot now that they make appointments now.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Unless you are doing a lot of shopping, it's best not to wait, most especially on weekends. Typically we take two vehicles when doing tire stuff so that we're not stuck there.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
We buy all of our tires from DiscountTireDirect - they have $100 off sets of 4 over $400 on pretty much every holiday weekend and combine that with rebates from $60-80 on sets of 4 from the manufacturer.
Free Shipping & no Sales Tax.

Mount & Balance can be done at Americas Tire Co for $18-20 each.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Walmart has those tires for as little as 114. each depending on the size you want. I got my last set for the 66 Mustang from Amazon because I wanted red striped tires like it had originally and they are tough to find in a 15" to fit the new wheels I got.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Costco is the only Tire Shop I go to. Replaced 8 tires in 2 cars last year. Wish they still had GoodYears, but Michelins are fine too.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
IMHO there are few reasons not to at least try Costco:

1.) You're not a member (duh)
2.) Last I checked, they won't install non-OEM sizes
3.) They don't do alignments

Other than that I've never heard any complaints.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
They have gone 5% up for me on request, seems like a lot of my speedometers are off by at least that much.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Appreciate all of the feedback everyone! I went ahead and placed an online order for the Defenders, waiting for the call from the store that the tires were delivered. I'll try to call later today and see if I can book an appointment ahead of time, as I have no clue how long it will be before they get the tires.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Agree with being the 1st customer. You're out of there the fastest. I absolutely hated walk-ins for the franchase tire shops and even appointments at my car dealer. It was always a mimimum 1 hour. That quickly changes in the morning, especially at the mom and pop shops if you just want re-balance, rotation or nails removed. 20 mins is my average and that's with plenty of B.S. morning talk.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, number 3 there is a deal killer for me. How can get new tires without checking the alignment?

Reactions: highland145

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Many people do....I use America's Tire occasionally and they don't do them either. It depends on how anal you are actually. If the tires are wearing evenly there's a strong argument to be made that it doesn't need to be checked.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
they alternate -$70 coupons between Michelin and Bridgestone. Get an appointment and plan for the process to take at least 2 hours. I once had a tire job take 6 hours.

How can get new tires without checking the alignment?

you drive to an alignment shop afterwards.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

They replaced the 265/65R17's on my GX with 255/75's without complaint (5% larger).