Anyone have experience with Primerica?

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
They're a financial services firm that I'm being recruited for but one of my family friends says that they've done very unethical things in the past and suck in general.

Anyone have any experience with them?

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Recruited by Primerica? LMAO

It's a multi-level marketing thing I believe. (they tried to recruit me too, "uhhh yeah we are a part of CitiBank...blah, blah, blah")

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I got the whole CitiBank spiel too. They recruit anyone they can though.

I've heard they are legit, and you can do well. But you'd be starting from the bottom and it'll take a lot of work and time on your behalf to do well.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Network marketing firm. Basically, you are an independent distributor who sells product to people and tries to build an organization of people underneath you, whereby, you get a percentage of what they sell as well. Hook is that if you build a big enough team, you can sit back and collect the cash while doing less work yourself. Your recruits can also build their own networks as big as they want, etc etc... That's why people call it a pyramid scheme, because as you go down in levels there are more and more people supporting t he business originators. Companies that use a similar model are Amway, Mary Kay, and World Financial Group. You can make a ton of money because I know people that do. But it takes an immense amount of patience and time. Plus, prepare for in many ways an almost cult-like atmosphere the organization promotes in order to insulate you from the rejection you are going to receive from the public.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
haha, how ironic that you post this right now. My mother is at this very moment in a very big meeting with the primerica region leaders... They insist "it's not a pyramid scheme!", but yet everything about it says it is. She never learns that these things don't work out....

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: SWScorch
haha, how ironic that you post this right now. My mother is at this very moment in a very big meeting with the primerica region leaders... They insist "it's not a pyramid scheme!", but yet everything about it says it is. She never learns that these things don't work out....

Yes they do. But only for a percentage of people. Not everyone will stick with the business long enough to make it work. It's very tough, but can also be very rewarding. Sort of like starting your own company.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
A friend of mine is working for Primerica. He's convinced that he's gonna make 300k next year.

He's also working at Toys r Us. I'm convinced that next year he'll still be working at Toys r Us.

I went to one of their recruiting meetings. It was a waste of time.

psydancerqt

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2003
a few of my friends are involved with primerica. i went to a meeting once, but it was kind of far for me to drive all the time. i think you get out what you put in.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
they'll hire anyone to be an insurance agent, assuming you pay for your training. your trainer gets a big cut.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Sort of like starting your own company.
Except that nobody is "lying" to you if you start your own company, you say what happens, and you have a better chance of making it.

--

Look, I was out of work 3 years back and I went to an "interview" for Primerica. I got to watch some sorry loser of a man spiel off for 2-3 hours (YES 2-3 fvcking hours) during this "interview". He said he'd let me know soon, but I emailed him before he could respond telling him that I'd not be interested. Companies like Primercia, Amway, etc. are pyramid schemes in the sense of the word, even if _technically_ they may not be (to stay on the good side of the law). You go in with a place like this - and they will take anybody they can BTW - and you're going to waste a lot of time making almost no money, becuase your money goes upwards to the guy/gal above you.

When I was there the loser showed me pictures of people in the company who were making all this big loot without degrees, etc., but for every guy in the company making $150k/year you've got 200 people who are working other jobs just to make ends meet.

If you happen to talk to them again - and I recommend against it (don't say I didn't warn you) - ask them what the average person is making after 6 months, one year, and two years. When they try and give you examples of "this guy so and so did this", ask them for overall general statistics. Either they will not give them to you, or they're lying. The market that they work in is _saturated_ with people competing with you. Do you really think that you'll be able to find all the clients that you need? Will your family not begin to hate you trying to sell them crap every time you see them?

My advice would be that if you think you have a future, other than death by shotgun, then I'd avoid Primerica. Get an education, because I don't believe that the answers are with a company like Primerica. I'm not saying I wouldn't use them if I needed financial advice/insurance (though in honesty I'd find somebody with more experience), but to work with them? DON'T.

Also, don't forget that you came here for advice and none of us have anything to gain by your decision either way, which is my way of saying: Don't believe the guy trying to get you to join with them who will, like Elfenix said, get a bunch of money when you do.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Get an education, because I don't believe that the answers are with a company like Primerica.
Actually, I already have one but it's not doing me a whole lot of good.

Hmmm. People have a lot of negative stuff to say about them.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
Get an education, because I don't believe that the answers are with a company like Primerica.
Actually, I already have one but it's not doing me a whole lot of good.

Hmmm. People have a lot of negative stuff to say about them.

People generally love it or hate it. Definately controvercial. Not illegal though, and many people do well. The percentage is probably low, but so is the percentage of people that start a business and succeed. If you want a higher chance for success (or a steady paycheck), get a job. But the higher ceiling always comes when you are the owner of your own business, be it network marketing or otherwise.