Anyone have any first-hand info on Dodge Neon's?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
the resale value is one of the worst on the road so if you buy that thing make sure it is USED if not drive it for life.

myputer

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2001
I owned one and I loved it! Although I did only have it 6 months before it got wrecked:(

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
My cousin bought one...a few months later she hated it...said she'd never buy one again.

How's that for bad?

ShadowHunter

Banned
Aug 27, 2001
We (my family) rented one once when our Chrysler broke down. We drove several hundred miles with it. Total POS. Seats were uncomfortable, burned oil; complete pile.

I am sure that have improved since then, it was like a '96.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
The newer ones aren't that bad. My best friend has a 2001, and she loves it. They are very comfortable, and get good gas mileage. I also rented one to drive to Atlanta (I'm in Panama City, FL) in, and it was a great, peppy little car. It was also a 2001.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I have a brand new one. :)

Parents bought it for me after they made me sell my car (my CRX that I paid for). Because they think I can't "fix it up". Little do they know the plans I have in mind for it. :)

But it's a great car. Too bad the suspension sucks sh*t and it has no high-end power. Other than that, it's a great car, too bad I crashed it. :)

It's in the rebuilding process.

IMHO, don't get one! I wouldn't if I had a choice. But I didn't.

DDCSpeed

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
I own one and every now and then it would require fix that costs over 1000 bucks.... :(

However, I got the one that was made the first year. It may have gotten better afterwards but I am not sure....

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
i have a 1996 Dodge Neon. NO problems other than the headgasket which was expected of pre-99 Neons. The head mechanic at DC's Tech. center has a daughter who has one. I guess that shows that he has trust in it.

The newer Neons have a softer suspension as Myztykal has noted. They saved the good suspension packag fro the ACR Neon, which is a package for autocrossers. The pre-2000 Neon ACRs came with Koni adjustable struts and consistently win stock class autocrosses.

BTW, new neons have 4 speed trannies, not 3 anymore :)

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
3-speed auto = sh*t.

The suspension is the sh*ttiest in the world. I'm upgrading the lowering springs, Tockiko blue shocks, and upper and lower strut bars. :)

Hopefully by then the car won't suck as much. :)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< 3-speed auto = sh*t.

The suspension is the sh*ttiest in the world. I'm upgrading the lowering springs, Tockiko blue shocks, and upper and lower strut bars. :)

Hopefully by then the car won't suck as much. :)
>>

why did you get an auto?!

Here is the newest Neon

Coming out in 2003.5 Notice the seats, my dad made them :). They made 2 SRTs, one yellow, one black. The yellow one burned in denver colorado about a month ago, though...

phatcow

Platinum Member
Nov 25, 2000

<< Hopefully by then the car won't suck as much. >>

i still doubt it...
if your car cant clock 15's by the end of it...it still sucks like a hooker.

i wanna get one as a commuter car tho...

v6 commuters = gas burner up the ass.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< Coming out in 2003.5 Notice the seats, my dad made them :). They made 2 SRTs, one yellow, one black. The yellow one burned in denver colorado about a month ago, though... >>

I've been following the SRT for a couple years now, I want one :) Any details on the yellow one that died? :Q

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001
I've driven several of them on business trips. They don't even compare in quality to my Nissan Sentra. I would look into maybe getting a used 2000 Sentra SE instead.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<<

<< Coming out in 2003.5 Notice the seats, my dad made them :). They made 2 SRTs, one yellow, one black. The yellow one burned in denver colorado about a month ago, though... >>

I've been following the SRT for a couple years now, I want one :) Any details on the yellow one that died? :Q
>>

Nope, my dad told me about it. He was walking by the DC junkyard and saw it. I bet he was pissed!! LOL, this is the 2nd yellow SRT to die. The first one was loaned to an upper management guy hwo let his son drive it. The son wrecked. it... That guy no longer works at DC.

FreeAgent

Nov 30, 2001
The truth on the Neon is that it is not a reliable vehicle. I know several people who own them and all of them have had similar problems. Here is a list.

The following are about newly purchased Dodge Neon's

Here is the bad: :frown:

1) Fuel pump went bad within a year.

2) Trunk was leaking in rain water (Poor design)

3) Electrical problems within two years.

4) Transmission failures

Thats the bad. Here is the good::)

1) Decent fuel economy.

2) Fast when nuetral dropped down steep hills.

4) It can easily blow the doors off of a Chevy Chevtte.

5) Maintenance doesn't cost that much if you have a good warranty.

6) You get to try out all sorts of cars while yours is in the shop.

It wouldn't be such a good idea to purchase one if you don't get a warranty.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< The truth on the Neon is that it is not a reliable vehicle. I know several people who own them and all of them have had similar problems. Here is a list.

The following are about newly purchased Dodge Neon's

Here is the bad: :frown:

1) Fuel pump went bad within a year.

2) Trunk was leaking in rain water (Poor design)

3) Electrical problems within two years.

4) Transmission failures

Thats the bad. Here is the good::)

1) Decent fuel economy.

2) Fast when nuetral dropped down steep hills.

4) It can easily blow the doors off of a Chevy Chevtte.

5) Maintenance doesn't cost that much if you have a good warranty.

6) You get to try out all sorts of cars while yours is in the shop.

It wouldn't be such a good idea to purchase one if you don't get a warranty.
>>

WOW, carpoint must have screwed the pooch then. They report no tranmission problems, maybe its because

<< 2) Fast when nuetral dropped down steep hills. >>

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Owned a 97... Typifies my theory that American car engines last for all of about 40k then die... Bought it used at 24k, then starting around 55k, had something break down monthly, spending 2-800 every month almost... Finally got rid of it... Think the new redesigned ones are better, but I still wouldn't go near one again...

Want good and cheap? go for a corolla.

resinboy

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
It's NOT an AMERICAN engine. It's a MITSUBISHI!!!! Chrysler products have ALL been Mitsu power plants for a LONG while, now.( Since early 80's).

Resinboy

ItsStillUS

Sep 13, 2001
I have a 95 passmedown from my sister. Horrible car.

It's manual, and the tranmission had to be rebuilt after 3 years.
Parking Brake broke.
Signals don't unsignal after turns.
Fuel guage just stopped working.
Speedometer and tachometer work occasionally (though i know this is the fault of the person who rebuilt the transmission).

The best part:

The bumpers are made of a cheap plastic with no paint so if i ever get into a fender bender, it won't be as expensive to fix.