Anyone have any first-hand info on Dodge Neon's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
My wife has a 97 and loves it we have had it two years and we had an electrical problem, Cruise didn't work (150 bucks) and had the instrument control board go out *400 bucks) Ither than that we like it we can fit 3 kids in the back (two in cars sears)

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
BTW way my mom is a mechanic and she reccomended the car, It was low miles and the price was great (about $1400 back of book) I was concerned with the relibilty and she told me that it was a car that NEEDED to have it's PM's done. If you keep the Oil changed and check all the fluids it should run for a while. We only need it to last another year and a few month cause then I am buying my wife a subaru that I drive at work!

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
My fiancee drives a '97 Neon with about 75k miles. I don't care for the way it handles (I prefer a stiffer ride), but it's been very reliable.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Friend of mine and his wife have a mid 90's neon and the thing was just falling apart. Repairs were busting their ass and the thing did not age well at all.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< It's NOT an AMERICAN engine. It's a MITSUBISHI!!!! Chrysler products have ALL been Mitsu power plants for a LONG while, now.( Since early 80's).

Resinboy
>>

That is VERY wrong.

DOHC engines are mitsu, the SOHC engines are chrysler, but have been BOUGHT by mitsu for the eclipse.

In fact, the new 2.7, 3.2 annd 3.5 are all DC engines. Mitsubishi only makes the 3.0L.

On a side note, the 2.0L SOHC can handle 330HP with no internal mods, and 600hp+ with new valve springs and rods.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
It's not a Mitsubishi engine...... only some were (Not any Neons)...

I love my Neon. i've put 28,000 trouble free KMs on it, and it's hella faster than most crappy Hondas and other slow rice boy cars :D

Chrysler offers 0% financing, and they offer a 5 year 100,000 km powertrain warranty, It was a no brainer to buy the car. as for the person who says it burns alot of oil: It consumes larger amounts than the average engine of oil, during break-in. after full break-in (usually 30,000 kms) the engine shouldn't be burning any oil, and if it is, change your oil more or treat your f'n car better!! mine burns no oil and running on Esso synthetic oil, and is running very well!

It's a very good deal if you lease one of these cars with Chryslers plans right now, it has low re-sale value (like most domestics) but is not too bad if you lease, because you get a very low monthly payment.. my R/T costs alot less per month than a regular Sentra SE 2.0.. It was a no brainer for me to buy this car because of Chryco's deal..

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

<< 3 speed automatic = lame... >>

3 speed automatic = reliable

there is a reason for everything.. If anyone knows chrysler, their 4 speed transmissions(maybe up until now) aren't exactly kick butt..

TerriLeLuv

Nov 3, 2001
I have a 97, and according the the police its a very easy car to break into, Must be because mine has been broke into 5 times this past year. All you have to do is pull on the top of the window a little bit and you can get something in there to unlock it.
Its been a pretty good car, only problem weve had is the head gasket.
We are keeping it, 1 because it has no trade in value. and 2 the payments are only 190. had it since it was brand new.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< It's NOT an AMERICAN engine. It's a MITSUBISHI!!!! Chrysler products have ALL been Mitsu power plants for a LONG while, now.( Since early 80's). >>

LMAO!!! ALL of Chrysler's engines have been Mitsubishi engines!? You sure about that one smart guy? try doing your homework before making such bold statements :p