Anyone ever heard of MENSA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Mensa is kind of pointless...2% is way too broad to be considered 'elite', and their threshold is so low that it really isn't getting into special mental abilities. At a bare minimum groups should require above 99.9th percentile (more than 2 sd's above average). There are a number of those groups out there (triple nine, prometheus, etc).

What special mental abilities do you have? Telekinesis, telepathy? Perhaps you can be invited to a different society.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Intellectual circle-jerk.

If anyone I knew was a member it would seriously drop my opinion of them.

Viper GTS

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Originally posted by: manowar821
HAHA.

I was offered a membership. My IQ is 186. No I'm not lying.

I'm really not interested, though.

How does this series logically continue?

5 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 2 ?

that should be it

5 is done 4 times, 4 is done three times, 3 is done two times, 2 is done 1 time....therfore 1 must be done 0 times :)

damn this is what "mensa" tests? ha! anyone with some kind of technical major (eng. ics or physical science) should be able to pwn this ^^

edit:

just saw your post...bwahahah

although looking at it i would probably never join those orgos :x I think ViperGTs is right

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It seems like more a union for the smarty pants out there.

I find it odd...the general capacity is the same amongst all humans to achieve some greater understanding. I've always felt nurture played a larger hand.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
I've heard it's a vastly overrated society. The people that are members are no wiser or have no more intelligence than some of the "average" people I know. I've also heard that their meeting devolve into the members laughing hysterically at fart jokes.

I think by definition they have higher intelligence than "average" people. ;) But average people tend to change the definition of intelligence to match their strengths.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Reel
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Mensa is kind of pointless...2% is way too broad to be considered 'elite', and their threshold is so low that it really isn't getting into special mental abilities. At a bare minimum groups should require above 99.9th percentile (more than 2 sd's above average). There are a number of those groups out there (triple nine, prometheus, etc).

What special mental abilities do you have? Telekinesis, telepathy? Perhaps you can be invited to a different society.

Professor X?

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
HAHA.

How does this series logically continue?

5 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 2 ?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Gulzakar
I find it odd...the general capacity is the same amongst all humans to achieve some greater understanding. I've always felt nurture played a larger hand.

No, there really are people who were born stupid and always will be stupid. There are people who learn things easier than others.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Intellectual circle-jerk.

If anyone I knew was a member it would seriously drop my opinion of them.

Viper GTS

If nothing else it might be a good way to network.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Gulzakar
It seems like more a union for the smarty pants out there.

That's certainly one of the more 'generous' conclusions I've ever heard. :p

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Hello, my name is Tommy Flanagan, and I'm a member of MENSA. In fact.. I'm the president of the organization!

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Analog
I was reading about William Shockley, inventor of the junction transistor. He donated his sperm for use by women who were members of MENSA. Looks like a high IQ bunch:

http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=10

Membership in Mensa is open to persons who have attained a score within the upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligence test that has been properly administered and supervised. There is no other qualification or disqualification for membership eligibility.

Mensans range in age from 4 to 94, but most are between 20 and 60. In education they range from preschoolers to high school dropouts to people with multiple doctorates. There are Mensans on welfare and Mensans who are millionaires. As far as occupations, the range is staggering. Mensa has professors and truck drivers, scientists and firefighters, computer programmers and farmers, artists, military people, musicians, laborers, police officers, glassblowers--the diverse list goes on and on. There are famous Mensans and prize-winning Mensans, but there are many whose names you wouldn't know.

So,

Any Mensans in here?????????????????

Yep, I've heard of em. When my cousin joined, she was their youngest member. :D

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
HAHA.

You realize that you've just stated you are smarter than leonardo da vinci, einstein, and hawking, right?

I took the mensa test, passed, and didnt join.

They dont even show you your results, and the meetings are lame. You get nothing for your membership.

It would appear that the members are made up of the intelligent people who managed to accomplish nothing with their high IQ.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Acanthus
You realize that you've just stated you are smarter than leonardo da vinci, einstein, and hawking, right?

They dont even show you your results, and the meetings are lame. You get nothing for your membership.

It would appear that the members are made up of the intelligent people who managed to accomplish nothing with their high IQ.
I was seriously considering taking the Mensa test, but I soon realized that it meant nothing or than to generalize anyone who may be anything like me. I will not segregate myself just so that I can say that I'm in the top xx percentile.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: LoKe
HAHA.

You're lying. Online IQ tests mean nothing.

...If it makes you more comfortable, to believe that...

Jun 4, 2005
HAHA.

I can't think of one person who has an IQ of 186 who isn't mentally challenged in one way or another. At that range, you'd be too smart to live normally.

Is there anything you can provide us that would back up your story? I mean, I'd love to believe that you're well above the average intelligence, but it's hard to do so.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Acanthus
HAHA.

Why do so many people assume I took some laughable online quiz to get that IQ score?

This happened in High School, it took me quite a bit longer than 1 hour to complete, and it was professionally done.

My family has the paper work filed away somewhere, at their place.

I didn't take a test on this website, some guy offered me a membership.

I said "no" for the same reasons you mentioned.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
My dad used to be part of some high intelligence group. He found that for the most part it brought out the idiot in everyone. He recommended to me that I never join one.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
HAHA.

I can't think of one person who has an IQ of 186 who isn't mentally challenged in one way or another. At that range, you'd be too smart to live normally.

Is there anything you can provide us that would back up your story? I mean, I'd love to believe that you're well above the average intelligence, but it's hard to do so.

Well, I'm partially socially retarded and I can't think straight sometimes. I have ADD and I have a terribly hard time learning anything that isn't interesting to me. The only classes I outright aced early on were subjects like Astronomy, chemistry, and computer networking.

It's by the grace of one of my teachers in Jr. high school (middle school) that I passed. She thought that I was bored, instead of stupid. I kept telling everyone that I didn't want to learn boring crap I already knew, so they just assumed I had an attitude problem because I felt ashamed of being stupid. She believed me and had me tested professionally to figure out if I was retarded or a genius.

Well, here we are, IQ 186, and I actually spend most of my time on computers or reading books by theoretical astrophysicists. I actually thought up some theories before even reading about them back when I was a teenager. Granted, the theories had already been thought up by someone else, I just hadn't been exposed to them. I'm not talking string theory or M-theory here, but things like quantum tunneling and such. Obviously I'm not going to write up a full physics theory at the ripe age of 16... :p

Is that proof enough?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: pontifex
Every ATOTer is a member.

and makes 6-7 figures by the age of 20 and is married to a supermodel ;)

I was in mensa in college... it was pretty retarded. all they ever did was sit around and play games. and if I'm going to be sitting around anywhere playing games, I'd much rather be in an apartment, drinking, and playing D&D :p

Because, as you know, everyone on the internet tells the truth all the time

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
HAHA.

Statistically, that would make you one of the three most intelligent people in the US. I believe PrinceofWands has claimed to have an equally high IQ, and of course Marilyn vos Savant would round out the top 3. How privileged we are here at Anandtech to have two of the three most intelligent people in the US posting on this forum. ;) Don't be offended if people don't believe you, but I can't say I've ever noticed a high level of intelligence behind your posts.

You can be anything on the Internet, you know. I'm Lance Armstrong. Want to see my moon rocks? ;)