Anyone ever fast?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
NOTE: The following discourse is based on the assumption of a god or god-like entity.

Yeah, I can see how dying could bring a person closer to a god...

I don't understand how your physical malnutrition and suffering can be of any interest to a so-called god, other than the god thinking, "Hey, look at this moron..."

For that matter, why would you want to become closer to a god that praises you for your suffering?

That sounds like a real party.

IMVHO, if you want to get closer to a god, spend your life enjoying being alive. Spend your time here being nice to people. Basically, just be happy and live until it's over.

If it makes you happy to starve then, by all means, continue.

Good Luck.

amish

bluemax

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2000
You'll find that tummy go faster if you remove crap from your diet. This includes all the yummy junk food, but more importantly- meat, eggs and dairy.

IF you can't go vegetarian... cut down on the meat as much as you can stand. :) And besides, which would you rather eat? A HUGE plate of veggies and fixin's cooked or raw (as much as you can possibly get inside your stomach in one sitting).... Oooor, a tiny little 6oz steak? The calories are the same, but more importantly, and here's the pincher:
There is NO cholesterol in anything other than meat, poultry or eggs!
Yep... God allowed us to eat meat after The Flood as an emergency measure, saying "You may eat them, but I'll take your life for theirs." Paraphrased. :) Noah lived over 900 years.... people started dropping VERY rapidly after that point! God also commanded the meat to be 'kosher'... no blood, no fat. And no taste if you've ever tried it that way!! :D
Yep... Less meat, more veggies/bread/pasta. No more tummy... :)
My wife and I have noticed that with NO extra exercising efforts, the pounds are drifting away slowly but surely. :p

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
Hey, Electric Amish, lay off! It doesn't sound like you have ever fasted. It's not "physical malnutrition and suffering OR starving" like you say it is. Once you have gotten over the "hunger" feeling, which passes rather quickly, it is a very spiritual state.

I really don't think that Chad needs to be flamed by you. Maybe if you tried it sometime, you could be Electric FamishED! :D

PH

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
Hey Chad,

After reading this post and some books my minister offered me, I have started a fast myself. Its been about a day and a half and I have yet to feel hungry. Let me know how your are doing.

For those who have said they dont see fasting as part of there christian lifestyle, this book I am reading made some good points...

--Christians are expected to fast--

Notice the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:16-17: "And when you fast...but when you fast..." By giving us instructions on what to do and what not to do when we fast, Jesus Assumes that we will fast. Compare it to other times when Jesus says "So when you give....but when you give" (Matthew 6:2-3) and "But when you pray....and when you pray..." (Matthews 6:5-7)...no one doubts the fact that Jesus wants us to give and to pray. Since nothing in the bible tells christians to detract from fasting now since Jesus rose from the grave (in fact The christians fasted in Acts after his departure in 9:9, 13:2, 14:23) we can conclude (among other reasons) we are to fast still today.

--Fasting is to be done for a purpose--

The ten Main reasons the bible gives to fast:
1. To strengthen prayer (Ezra 8:23, Daniel 9:3, Nehemiah 1:4)
2. To seek Gods guidance (Judges chapter 20, Acts 14:23)
3. To express grief (2 Samuel 1:11-12)
4. To seek deliverance and protection (2 Chronicles 20:3-4)
5. To express repentance and return to God (1 Samuel 7:6, Joel 2:12)
6. To Humble oneself before God (1 Kings 21:27-29)
7. To express concern for the work of God (Daniel 9:3, Nehemiah 1:3-4)
8. To minister to the needs of others (Isaiah 58:6-7)
9. To overcome temptation and rededicate to God (Matthew 4:1-11)
10. To express love and worship to God (Luke 2:37)

Fasting must always have a spiritual purpose-a God centered purpose- for the Lord to bless our fast. Thoughts on food must prompt thoughts on God. They must not distract us, but instead remind us of our purpose. Rather than focusing the mind on food, we should desire to eat as a reminder to pray and to reconsider our purpose.

Theres something about saying, "I'm not going to eat today" that causes anxiety in many Christians. It seems that most believers would rather give up an offering of money than give up food for one day. Its silly really, we think about missing a meal or two for the sake of becoming more like jesus and we get anxious. Yet we willingly miss meals sometimes while shopping, working, recreating, or otherwise occupied. Whenever we believe another activity is at that moment more important, we will go without food fearlessly and without complaint. We need to learn that there are times when it can be noy only more important, but much more rewarding to feast on God than food (Matthew 4:4).

There is so much more that could be said but to get a good idea, Pick up a copy of "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life" By S. Whitney ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576830276/qid=964117807/sr=1-3/104-9582098-3932719 ) and check it out.