Chad

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hi all,

First, my specs ;-)

Height: 5'-11"
Weight: 165 lbs.
Race: Caucasian
Health Status: Average for my age. No previous ailments or diseases etc. Play Soccer, occasional run, workout at the GYM twice a month.

Ok, Now... I started my fast July 15th 2000 (today as of this writing). I am
only drinking "Aquafina" water (cause I like the taste better than other
waters I've tried). I'm a (relatively) newfound Christian, and I have
started this fast for several reasons. First and foremost, spiritually.
Second, for detoxification, and lastly, I have a bit of a tummy (for some
reason, I've never been able to shake it) that I wouldn't mind seeing go.

I'm wondering... since I'm an active person, must I stop being active? What
about my workouts? I would like to go to the GYM, lift weights, play
basketball and swim. Also, I like to play golf and to go to the driving
range, is this, any or all acceptable?

Lastly, I am a programmer for a rather large and well known company, my work
can sometimes push the limits of my minds capabilities. To worsen matters,
we are in transition and having to learn all kins of new things, new
languages (Java) and new IDE's (JDP) and even new databases (Oracle). I am
feverishly studying and taking classes. I'm worried my fast will hinder me.
Is this the case?

If your interested, I can keep you all abreast of my fast. My plan is to go
till August 1st 2000 (basically a half a month fast). Perhaps more if I'm
feeling well at that time.

Another thing, what is this "ketosis" I've seen people talk about? I'm
not knowledgeable in fasting whatsoever, and I went into this rather
blindly. I've seen that it's suggested to read up with some books, but as
you know, I have literally NO time for that. I'm a healthy guy, so I figure
I can do this.

Lastly... any suggestions to help me make it through this? This being my
first day and all (past suppertime now) I've had a few cravings (one
minor, one BIG craving (dinner was tough)) but I made it through them both. I'm a determined
person, once my mind is made up, and my mind IS made up on making this fast.
I was just hoping that you all had a few tips to make the burden lighter
(?). Or if anyone has had any success with fasting.

Thanks! Ciao.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't you think that the lack of nutrition combined with programming would lead to some really f*cked up programs? :)

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999
As a Christian...you will find that if your fast is called to become closer to God (which you have stated is your primary purpose) the fast will amplify your prayers.

Look forward to a great increase in your power and strength...for your life does not spring from the physical...but from the Spirit..:)

God bless.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
I did 145 on my Suzuki GSXR750cc last fall.

I pushed a Nissan Pulsar to 135 in Idaho one time.

lestat

Oct 9, 1999
i wouldnt do it, even the monks in the brothers karmazov didn't fast for that long! =[

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Chad,

I am a Physical Education teacher & have been a personal trainer in the past & it would be very difficult for me to recommend fasting; however, since you are doing primarily for reasons other that of "fitness," I may have a few suggestions.

1. Take a daily multi-vitamin, in addition to your regular water intake.
2. Some light activity should be fine, but I would be weary of basketball & swimming....you may find yourself getting light-headed very quickly since these activities can be reletively intense.
3. Listen to your body!!! If you are losing sleep & stressed at work, you will be SERIOUSLY damaging your body by withholding nourishment.

I am also a Christian & have never found fasting to be a necessary part of my faith. However, you might see that differently. Keep in mind that your body is a "temple" for God, so make sure you are taking care of it!!!! :)

(Last week there was a thread about "Eating to Live" VS "Living to Eat" hmmmm........... ;)

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999
I know a man who went on a 40 day fast...just before setting out on a very important mission.

The result....power..:)

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
The best book on the subject, is of course "The Science and Fine Art Of Fasting" by Herbert Shelton (384 pgs)
Fasting used to be popular in the U.S. and Europe in the period before WW2. There were fasting spas that catered to the wealthy that could afford to take time off to do fasts to completion. A complete fast can go usually from 125 days to 175 days (5 2/3 mo. without a scrap of food) The tongue gets a whitish coating, and when the body is finished detoxing, the tongue turns clear and there is a feeling of incredible euphoria. At this time one must begin to eat, or the body consumes itself organ by organ, based on its importance - the brain being last.
The first fast is the most precious, for self realization and should not be wasted by doing while working or distracted. Ideas, insights, solutions seem to pop up magically from out of nowhere from deep recesses, even when not focusing on them. On completion day, you will be as healthy as the day you were expelled from your mothers womb, but with an adult mind. The brain will be at its highest level of efficiency possible. At this point most begin to cry uncontrollably, tears streaming down their faces. The more miserable the person has been to others, the more they shed. This is the time of knowing.

Contact with loved ones should be avoided for the first week since withdrawal from addictive foods like alcohol, sugar, salt, spices, caffiene, nicotiene etc. make one irritable and nervous, subject to angry outbursts.
A faster must learn the difference between hunger and appetite. The yearning, empty, washed out feeling is related to psychological factors ("highs" from ice cream, pizza, french fries), vs. hunger, which is metabolism related. Fewer than 1% of Americans have known true hunger, most Africans at one time or another have.
Inner city smog, noise, bad relationships are detrimental to success.
Fasting is not a toy, and can kill.
Fasts must be broke (the first meal you eat in morning is called "breakfast") correctly - warm slices of ripe tomatoe, then slowly moving on to warm fresh pressed carrot juice. Cool food temperatures stop stomach digestion.
Drinking fruit juices is not fasting: it is dieting.
Never use bottled water - the plastic gets into the water. All fasts should be made with distilled water made by yourself kept in glass containers.
Fainting, light headedness, feeling "woozy", especially when quickly rising is normal, as pulse lowers to half of normal rate. Sleep need is vastly reduced - perhaps 3 hrs/day, since digestion is not wasting body energy. Mental acuity is greatly increased. One accomplishes many more tasks than normal.
Urine will become intensely colored, stool may turn black. Bowel may not move for days at a time. Strange hideous pains are a good sign: the body is trying to get rid of something bad for system.
Weight loss may be 3-5 pounds in just a few days, levels off at 1/2 -3/4 day thereafter. A 5'11" man at any weight from 180 - 250 will wind up at 125-145 lbs at completion.
The body has three minds:
The cerebral brain (left, central, right and reptilian at base of neck in rear), the spinal brain with its millions of "wires", and the "body brain" which maintains heartbeat, respiration, metabolism, etc. When fasting, the "body brain" takes over (hibernation mode). This is the most miraculous of all. Think about it. Billions of cells of different types with no intelligence of their own working together in symphony to repair what is wrong with body. How do they know where to go, what cells to employ, what is good/bad?

There is disagreement on whether a series of shorter fasts is equal to a completed fast. Most say the series is much harder on the body, to be avoided.
The sad fact is that, today, it is virtually impossible for a working person to do a correct fast in a quiet, remote, nature surrounded way with medical monitoring.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0914532219/qid%3D964128957/103-0021559-9675852

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-0021559-9675852
"The Miracle of Fasting" Paul Bragg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0890876150/drcinqueshealthr/103-0021559-9675852

http://www.anhs.org/BookTape.htm (Fasting Video)

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
Chad,

I'm a Christian and I have fasted before. Without knowing you or God's call in your life, I wouldn't recommend a 15 day fast. Start light, like 3 or 4 days. 15 days is a long time without food.

When you come off of your fast, don't go have a steak dinner. Have some jello and a few crackers. You'll have to get your body used to eating again for a few days when you un-fast.

But, if He has called you to fast for 15 days, by all means, fast away. Should you need to prayer support, you can e-mail me through the address in my profile.

PH
:D

Chad

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice.

As far as how it's going... I woke up at 2:30am in the morning last night (17th) having severe stomach pains. It hurt so bad I was actually scared, so I went and ate a bowl of Wheaties (no sugar added) with skim milk.

I restarted the fast again. I'm worried mostly about my job -boy I wish I could do a correct fast, in the right environment- because we are at a very intensive time, and things (important things) need to be done, and critical design decisions be made. So, this is my largest worry. My home life is spectacular (thank the Lord), I have a very loving wife and two daughters who all are very supportive.

This may not be the best time for it, but daggumit, I'm going to make this happen. I will of course "listen to my body" as suggested, as I think that's good advice (like on the night I ate some Wheaties). So if severe pain comes up, or a fainting spell happens, or I can't focus on my work, I will of course, eat lightly, and try to re-ease myself into the fast again.

Spiritually speaking, I feel much closer to God, and I sometimes get a strange sensation through my body (VERY relaxing). I must say, overall, I'm feeling very good right now (much better than before the fast).

On day 3 now. Wish me luck. God bless.

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
I do not wish to be disrespectful, but I do not see how depriving oneself of energy sources can lead to spiritual development.

The average adult human body requires roughly 800 calories/day to maintain body weight (assuming light or no activity). You will certainly loose quite a bit of weight over 15 days if this is figure is accurate.

Live Long and Prosper.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I fasted once, for about 3 weeks. Not for religious reasons, more an urge to lose weight. I ended up dizzy, and way too thin. I felt shaky all the time, and always lightheaded. It is NOT a good idea to do, and I would not recommend it to anyone. If you want to do it for a couple of days to clean out your system then fine. But do not do it for long periods of time, it is dangerous.

Chad

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
KarsinTheHutt,

The idea is that by overcoming the flesh, youare able to focus more on the spiritual. Of course, one has to be spiritually oriented in order to achieve this, of course. ;)

Ciao.

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
Chad: You always stress the spiritual aspect of your fasting attempt. I would recommend to fast during a vacation in contemplative sorroundings and under medicinical supervision. In Europe a lot of monasteries are open to visitors and organized fasting is offered. I don't think long-time fasting while working without supervision of a doc is no good idea.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Fasting is OK if you do it one day every month, or something like that. But I wouldn't make a regular, weekly habit out of it.

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
For those with a biblical faith, Isaiah 58:1-12 is the classic biblical passage on fasting. Verses 1-3 teach us that fasting in and of itself accomplishes nothing spiritually. Verses 4-5 show us that fasting without a heartfelt and determined desire to change and grow closer to God is actually hypocritical and "frustrates" God.

However, verses 6-12 talk about the kind of fasting that the Lord loves. Proper fasting helps break spiritual bondage (verse 6), allows us to give what would have been consumed to the truly impoverished (verse 7), and gives us a strong awareness of the Lord's glory and presence (verse 8). This leads to tremendous blessing for those who have eyes to see it (verses 9-12).

Chad: May Isaiah 58:6-12 be true in your life :)

slicksilver

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
I fasted some time ago ....but not for any religious purposes......I fasted for 26 days on the trot......Just had water and a cup of black tea in the morn. and the evening.....I lost around 32 lbs ....but I must tell you ....the first one week was very challenging .....after that it was a breeze.....

Raj

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
I am 5-10" 150 lbs & have about 4-5% body fat. I consume approxiately 2500-3000 calories per day, generally w/ only light activity. If I were to fast for more than a day or two, My muscles would begin to atrophy & I would start going down hill very quickly.