Anyone else upset with BF3 exclusive content pack?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?

A: Because we believe in rewarding our core fanbase with special offers -- such as giving them the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge.

Reward? My ass.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
A boycott, that will show them.
1258035395841.jpg

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010
I'm going to wait for the beta to fully decide whether to get this or not. While I'm likely getting BF3 It's highly understandable why people are angry about this.

I am actually more disappointed with the game its self, if you search up Youtube and look at the footage of people playing it on the test booths you might see what I mean. On the grand scale of things, I personally don't like the maps that are close quarters like the metro/subway map. This to me is not in line with its predecessor Battlefield 2.

Actually there's a Q&A session they did showing slight footage of a jet over burning oilfields is actually an MP map and it's big: http://live-event.ea.com/e3/chat/battlefield (around the 8:08 mark). So I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Conundrum_

Jun 14, 2011
As long as there is people online to play against i'll get this game. So far I have enjoyed battlefield so if this is the one to end it so be it. If not awesome shall be had.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
My biggest concern over the game isn't exclusives, it's the crap that plagued every single other Battlefield release:

- buggy lagfest for first 6 months - 1 year
- minimal and/or nonfunctional server browser for first 6 months - 1 year

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
My biggest concern over the game isn't exclusives, it's the crap that plagued every single other Battlefield release:

LOL I completely agree, sometimes the server browser still doesn't work in Bad Company 2. And what's more upsetting, they NEVER EVER took the time to fix the voip, like honestly?

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
LOL I completely agree, sometimes the server browser still doesn't work in Bad Company 2. And what's more upsetting, they NEVER EVER took the time to fix the voip, like honestly?

Yeah, they say that they want to reward the customers who pre-ordered. But if the game ships broke with lag or bug infested, there will be a lot of pissed off gamers. So for their sake, I hope they ship the game as polished as possible(However it seems so unlikely for game developers these days unless you're Blizzard or Valve) if they are trying to market this whole pre-ordering shtick.

Feb 4, 2009
This doesn't bother me at all, I may actually reserve this which is something I swore not to do any longer until I see a review but the demo should off set that fear. The weapon unlocks in BF2 were well balanced and I really don't see it breaking the game.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

Yup, I'm staying away from BF3 for a few patches. If BC2 was any indication, BF3 will be nearly unplayable (or at least a pain in the ass) for the first month or so.

I'm hoping there'll be a decent server browser this time. It amazes me how such a simple feature has regressed as years go on. That should be the easy part of building your game.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

Agreed. I remember being so frustrated with BF2 when I was playing it because of how buggy it was. It was a shame because when it worked properly I had a blast.

I also recently got BC2, and while the gameplay seems okay I'm still getting bad texture pop-in on some maps. Also little graphical and glitching issues here or there. The big thing though was that I got booted from a server for packet loss or something, and then lost half of my total XP somehow... which is much more than what I had gotten during that round.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Going to be pre-ordering, going to be a great game.

@ the guy complaining about the indoor map he saw: This is allowing up to 64 players in some MP modes. There will be huge maps. Relax.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
I'm so glad I am a core fan so that I can get this reward from Nintendo. ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Yeah, they say that they want to reward the customers who pre-ordered. But if the game ships broke with lag or bug infested, there will be a lot of pissed off gamers. So for their sake, I hope they ship the game as polished as possible(However it seems so unlikely for game developers these days unless you're Blizzard or Valve) if they are trying to market this whole pre-ordering shtick.

but yet you guys keep eating it up version after version.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Considering they did this before, or something similar, with Battlefield Heroes and they noticed that letting people buy weapons had no substantial impact on game-play (from what I remember reading, the stats showed that people who bought guns didn't perform any better than those that hadn't. The marginal difference between weps wasn't enough to suddenly make people better or screw up the game), this isn't that surprising.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I don't view Reddit or anything like that but over on EA UK BF3 forums the following thread was made to institute a boycott:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1405158-appeal-gaming-media.html

It is a very long thread but if you read post #1 at least you will see the goals of it which are Primarily to get changes made to BTK and PWP, and secondarily to ensure Commo Rose and some other things.

I was thinking that for those of us who plan to buy the game anyway, but still disagree with EA's bullshit, that we can still help the boycott by not preordering until the VERY last minute, perhaps even wait and buy it in store and not preorder at all, and if you already preordered, cancel and re-pre-order at least minute. After all, unless you are in the UK ONLY, no version of the PWP has been released in your country and you will have to cancel and re-pre-order anyway when it does get announced(you might even find that your retailer of choice can't offer the PWP), why not cancel now and help corral EA into doing the right thing?

Feb 4, 2009
I hear what you're saying mani but ultimately you bought it at $60.00 and really that's all that matters. Personally I plan on playing the demo/open beta before I do any reserving. Everything can't be perfect.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
At the place I usually pre-order from the Physical Warfare Pack edition actually costs less than the plain edition, no prizes for guessing which one I pre-ordered.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
the weps are just reskins anyway.. who really cares.. so his gun LOOKS different it's still the same shitty newb wep.
they already said there is NO game play advantage with these weps.