Anyone else pissed off at the progress of rebuilding at the WTC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
The only negative about the mosque being built in Manhattan is that it removes incredibly expensive real estate from the tax rolls.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Not sure about the alleged lack of progress:

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/index.html

It took 5 years to build 2 100+ story buildings
It has been ~9 years.
The project was (most recently) scheduled to be complete by 2013 (not going to happen).

900 million? For a memorial? I'm glad most of that money was donated and not taxpayer money or else I'd be very upset.

No, the original towers cost 900 million. Now they want to spend a +10 billion for 3 million less square feet.

Last edited:

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I think someone earlier in the thread has the right answer, with this being a recession and less interest in office space there is not as much of a rush to build.

Besides, weren't they locked in a legal battle for a couple years with the insurance carriers over the amount of payments (1 plane vs 2 in regard to how many catostrophic events happened).

Sep 12, 2004
It has been ~9 years.
The project was (most recently) scheduled to be complete by 2013 (not going to happen).

No, the original towers cost 900 million. Now they want to spend a +10 billion for 3 million less square feet.
To be fair, rebuilding didn't begin the day after 9/11. Nor is it any secret that things cost more today than they did in the 60s. But that's beside the point. The point is that, regardless of how long it's taking, there IS progress being made.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
There isn't a big demand atm for office space in Manhatten, I'm told. Some of the entities who once made Manhatten their base of operations have relocated to Jersey and elsewhere and have a low probability that they will ever move back.

Fascinating way to think about this. Why rebuild something just to rebuild it, especially if an unfavorable business environment in NYC would result in the building sitting empty.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Penn and Teller had a great idea on their show Bullshit. Build the same towers again. Biggest f-you you can give!

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Penn and Teller had a great idea on their show Bullshit. Build the same towers again. Biggest f-you you can give!

That is what Trump purposed (except for being bigger and taller ;) )

Triroctowers.jpg

Sadly the architect who the port authority hired for the project (and the port authority) thought that such a building would invite more terrorist attacks. I guess the terrorists won.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Almost immediately, I had the same reaction, the best response to the terrorists was to rebuild the same towers, perhaps with one more floor, and do it fast.

By limiting the military response to going after Al Queda instead fulfilling their and PNAC's wished with broad war inthe Middle East, we could have paid for it easily as well.

But that's the 'screw you' to the terrorists.

Unfortunately, there's not much concern accountability for what we've done, such as using the country of Afghanistan as pawns, overthrowing their far better government in the 70's to pursue a strategy in our interest against the Soviets, at the Afghans' expense, with their society harmed to this day. No accountability for our actions.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Not rebuilding is kind of cool. It's like having a scar on your old owie you can point to when reminiscing over past campaigns.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
why is it a suprise? the economy has gone down so the need and desire for office space has to.

why built it if there is no profit in it? it really does not make sense.

Sep 12, 2004
why is it a suprise? the economy has gone down so the need and desire for office space has to.

why built it if there is no profit in it? it really does not make sense.
Possibly because there's insurance money and unless they rebuild that money goes to waste. Plus there's an issue of national pride in restoring what was lost along with a big 'FU' to OBL. imo, the design should have looked like a big middle finger directed at the ME.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, hate whatever. Try to think of any GOOD reason why a mosque should be built near ground zero. It's completely in bad taste.

On another note that property is being payed in CASH, I'm source the source of that cash is completely legit.

We should build a statue of Mohammed across the street. :D

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I don't care if/when they rebuild the building but I think they should have at least completed a memorial of some sort on or near the site.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It has been ~9 years.

1.5B in adjusted dollars for the original.

Then again this isn't some random brownfield re-development out in God's country. Major damage was done to all the infrastructure in the WTC complex (and areas around it) which necessitated it's removal and re-installation before they could even think about building up. That kind of work isn't cheap or fast by any means, especially in NY these days. They had to deal with insurance companies, the landlord (Port Authority), the guy who leased the complex, families of the lost, dozes of city/state/local/federal agencies, unions, banks, architects, engineers, community groups, the NY legislature, approval processes, permits, lawsuits, etc.

I am in no way surprised it's taken as long as it has. Apparently now they've even run into a buried ship.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Almost immediately, I had the same reaction, the best response to the terrorists was to rebuild the same towers, perhaps with one more floor, and do it fast.

My idea that I had posted immediately on my web page was to rebuild them with one less floor because the top floors would forever be occupied and dedicated to those that were lost.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Why on earth should we spend money we don't have on buildings? Build a monument and let those who want to pony up the money construct the next skyscraper. Until it's profitable only a fool would want to erect a money looser to satisfy ego.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Saw this in a reply to an article I looked up on this. Sounds exactly like what they're doing.

They didn't conquer anything. You don't need to do anything special to promote your religion in the US. It's open to all.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
What constitutes "near". Early in this faux controversy, it was reported that it was "On" the site. Turned out it was actually many blocks away. Get over it.

I just hope they will hit those pussies in Canada next.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I saw a news item on the long drawn out WTC rebuilding.
Paid for huge granite memorial that was used for a ceremony but will not be used in the final design, now sits at the company that made it.
Building designs changed over and over.
NY port authority taking contractors to court over access.
Numerous changes in what would be built, 1 , 2, 3, buildings or more.

In 1940 we built an entire city in just 2 years that allowed us to manufacture parts for the bomb and house 75K people complete with schools, hospitals, labs, factories. It has been almost 10 years for WTC. If they did things then like they do know the Germans would be crossing the white-house lawn before we worked out what color paint to use.

While i completely understand your point, Germany was losing WWII before D-Day.

They ran out of Germans and conscripts, literally, because of the eastern front.

The Russians were marching to Berlin already when D-Day occurred.