Anyone else losing hair? What do you use to prevent it...anything work?

rnmcd

Platinum Member
May 2, 2000
Shaving is not an option....i'll probably wear a wig before I shave it all off.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Nope, I and every other male in my family has a full head of non-gray hair :)

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
i am 17 and i have noticed my hair line is receding, should i be worried?

LoL..
I'm 22 and I can't keep my hair from growing... :(

I wish it would just stop growing all together. Noone in my family has the gene for baldness :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Acupuncture (the point that meets 100 others at the top of the head) may help

also TCM herbs

Daily massage may help

So may diet, exercise and rest (cut out the stress).

but not too helpful for heredity male pattern baldness

on the drug side, rogaine may help 10-25% of men (but you gotta use it every day)

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Try Rogaine. It's a type of shampoo, methinks. It's supposed to prevent further hairloss.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: madthumbs
Is it really worth it? Bald isn't bad.

word. if it happens... let it be. just shave ur head. the one above ur shoulders.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Seriously, looking into getting a perscription of Propecia.

commercials for those drugs r so funny... especially when they speed talk through all the side effects.

rnmcd

Platinum Member
May 2, 2000
Originally posted by: CrazyPerson
oh, you mean hair on top of your head..... you scared me for a while..

Anyone try that Propecia that was mentioned?

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: rnmcd
Shaving is not an option....i'll probably wear a wig before I shave it all off.

Keep it cut short. It won't look as bad.

Then deal with it or find a hat you like a lot. ;)

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Whatever you do, do not get sucked into using Nioxin. I did, it's a load of crap. What you should do is use Baby Shampoo. It's the gentlest shampoo, and will keep your hairs in longer.

rnmcd

Platinum Member
May 2, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Whatever you do, do not get sucked into using Nioxin. I did, it's a load of crap. What you should do is use Baby Shampoo. It's the gentlest shampoo, and will keep your hairs in longer.

DAG! I already got sucked into the Nioxin hype!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
search "bald" and "thinning", there should be some long threads in archives.

The drugs don't really work for male pattern baldness -- a little extra peach fuzz won't make much difference for your $50/month, even before you consider the side effects.

Lotions, massage, vitamins, herbs don't work for male pattern baldness, only for someone who has some other scalp problem.

Hair transplants do work, for a while at least, though Dennis Miller's hair is starting to look a little strange. Expensive though.

Personally I've put the $10K into S&P500 mutual fund shares instead -- I'd rather have a nice retirement than a little more hair.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Propecia and rogain "work" but it only really helps keep what you have. Propecia has bad side effects I guess, they warn against women even holding the pills!. I saw a radio personality in Canada who had spend $16000 on hair surguries, it looked horrible. Shave it off.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My hair started thinning when I spent 90% of my day stressed out due to projects at work. I'm only 23, so it was emotionally detrimental for sure.

If I were you I'd just shave it off. I went to my doctor out of desperation a while ago, and he told me he wouldn't even consider writing a prescription for anything like Propecia for someone my age. Can you imagine taking something like Propecia for 20+ years? Who knows what harm you might do...

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
I hear duct tape does wonders for balding men. Just save the fallen hair and tape if back on when you've got enough! Voila!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: crumpet19
I hear duct tape does wonders for balding men. Just save the fallen hair and tape if back on when you've got enough! Voila!
No, no -- you grow it out, get a haircut and save the clippings, then superglue them to your scalp. With duct tape you have to spend hours poking holes with a needle to push the hairs through, it's way too much work.

Actually Ronco sells "fake snow" flocking for bald spots, you can try that too. But superglue is the best.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin
Acupuncture (the point that meets 100 others at the top of the head) may help

also TCM herbs

Daily massage may help

So may diet, exercise and rest (cut out the stress).

but not too helpful for heredity male pattern baldness

on the drug side, rogaine may help 10-25% of men (but you gotta use it every day - HORRIBLE FOR LONG-TERM!!!)
Seriously!

Massage, diet and exercise cost nothing and may help (significantly).

I have thinned twice. The first time Acupuncture completely regrew the bald spot. Now my hair is filling in again after months of neglect.

melvinfx

Sep 1, 2003
I once watched a infomercial about taking hair from the back of your head and planting it in the bald spots. It will grow like real hair and everything. it is only gonna cost a few dollars and you will be fine. Of course bald is cool, make ya look like a bad ass!