Anyone else hate ABS (Anti-lock Brake Systems)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I do, at least in every car I've driven and used them. Have they improved on these yet? Everytime they've kicked in, while in snow, it seems like it takes away control from me that I need.

I doubt I will get them with my next car because of this. (waves goodbye to the $1 a month insurance break)

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
You actually hate a poorly designed ABS system rather than ABS itself. They are getting better and just about every new car today over 30k has ABS, so the options are limited if you want one without.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Going from no-ABS on my old car to ABS on my new RSX-S, I find that I really enjoy the ABS. I don't see why people would want to have no-ABS on their car.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Going from no-ABS on my old car to ABS on my new RSX-S, I find that I really enjoy the ABS. I don't see why people would want to have no-ABS on their car.

Cause I drive like a crazy fvck and it inhibits my crazy driving.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If you know how to properly modulate your brakes many times you can do better than an ABS car (though some have really advanced brake/traction controls that approach 'race' driver ability).

There was a test in a magazine with drivers that thought they were better than ABS and most didn't do as well. Most people over estimate their ability behind the wheel.

Å

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Originally posted by: DrNoobie

Cause I drive like a crazy fvck and it inhibits my crazy driving.

Well, that's definately a good thing for most other people on the road. Crazy driving is bad, mmmkay?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
" I don't see why people would want to have no-ABS on their car."

Get a quote to have it repaired, and you'll understand. If I were to buy a new car, and had the choice, I'd skip the anti-lock brakes, air bags and traction control. That would save a few thousand up front, and high repair costs later, plus less to go wrong.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
I read somewhere once that as the snow builds a wedge in front of the tire, that"can" help braking in the snow.
On dry or wet roads, for most ppl, ABS is a blessing. That is if they don't try to pulse the pedal themselves. They
should just mash the pedal down and hold it there.

On touring motorcycles ABS is a rated very highly by those who have it. It can save the rider from dropping a 1000#
rig, that's gross load, to include passenger. Now the passenger could be gross on their own account :p

For those so inclined, adjustable proportioning valves are available. They are NOT DOT approved for highway use.
Club racers use them for track only :)

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Air bags dont bother me so much. usually if I need those its pretty bad. ABS is a whole nother ballgame. Yes, I can drive better without them. Yes, I know. Half the cars I've owned in my life did not have them. One I own now doesnt have it, the other does. I much prefer the non ABS'd cars over ones with ABS.

The crazu driving reference is simply its easier to have fun in a non ABS equipped car. ;)

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Ornery

Get a quote to have it repaired, and you'll understand. If I were to buy a new car, and had the choice, I'd skip the anti-lock brakes, air bags and traction control. That would save a few thousand up front, and high repair costs later, plus less to go wrong.

Hmmm, no airbags are bad in wrecks more often than not. I'd rather not tear all the tread of my tire when trying to stop as fast as possible, so ABS is very helpful. Traction control is just a luxury, so I can do without that. Sure repair costs would be higher, but so would the safety of the car.

Now if you really now how to drive well in older cars without the safety improvements, I can see not needing ABS as much, but airbags are definately helpful (when they deploy).

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Modern multi-channel ABS and high-speed sensors, can deliver greater breaking force for more time than would be possible without - no matter how skilled. If the machine can control each wheel individually with sensors that can actually sense when the wheel is about to lock, then it needs only to lower the brake effort to the wheel about to lock, rather than to all simultaneously.

They can appear as though they reduce your control, especially on precarious surfaces such as ice or snow - simply because they reduce the braking effort to the point where the wheels don't lock - in other words, virtually nothing. They don't actually reduce control, you would never have had it in the first place.

There are a few occasions where ABS can be troublesome - loose gravel and loose dry snow. Because of the properties of these surfaces locking the wheels does improve stopping distance. However, as most cars are drive on clear roads for most of the time, the benefits generally out weigh the disadvantages.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: alkemyst
If you know how to properly modulate your brakes many times you can do better than an ABS car (though some have really advanced brake/traction controls that approach 'race' driver ability).

There was a test in a magazine with drivers that thought they were better than ABS and most didn't do as well. Most people over estimate their ability behind the wheel.

Å

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mark R
Modern multi-channel ABS and high-speed sensors, can deliver greater breaking force for more time than would be possible without - no matter how skilled. If the machine can control each wheel individually with sensors that can actually sense when the wheel is about to lock, then it needs only to lower the brake effort to the wheel about to lock, rather than to all simultaneously.

They can appear as though they reduce your control, especially on precarious surfaces such as ice or snow - simply because they reduce the braking effort to the point where the wheels don't lock - in other words, virtually nothing. They don't actually reduce control, you would never have had it in the first place.

There are a few occasions where ABS can be troublesome - loose gravel and loose dry snow. Because of the properties of these surfaces locking the wheels does improve stopping distance. However, as most cars are drive on clear roads for most of the time, the benefits generally out weigh the disadvantages.

LIES!! BLASPHEMY!!! :|

;)

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
ABS works in conjunction with the driver's knowledge of how to use it properly. If one keeps lifting the foot off the brake every time they kick in then it defeats the ABS's main purpose....to not lock up the wheels and allow the driver to steer around the obstacle rather than to plow, wheels locked up tighter than a bull's ass, right into it..
It has saved me from a fender bender twice up here in the snow belt. You must have the presence of mind to use it correctly and to forget about the pulsating pedal and start thinking about the steering the car thing.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
For those that :heart: their ride. Read me....Text..Doing as suggested will almost eliminate any internal problems for ever occurring in the ABS unit.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
I got in an accident when I was 17 that could have been prevented if my car had ABS. The roads were awful and I was already doing 5 under the speed limit but I didn't start braking for a 2 way stop until it was too late (in the snow). I locked the brakes and then just froze and t-boned a Saturn. Man that Saturn was in bad shape and I was only doing around 5mph when I hit him. Now I've got a better feel for my car so driving no ABS doesn't really bother me.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Mark R

Welcome to Canada, eh?

- M4H

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001

you'd choose money over personal safety?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
ABS works great when people don't use their "regular" old braking skills. They must be treated differently, but when used prpperly, they rule!

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I'm guessing maybe I should consider getting this option and learning how to use it properly i guess /sigh :p

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Usually I like them. I usually take the fuse out when I go cornfield bajaing or off-roading though.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003

False assumption. I have never heard of abs breaking/needing repair although it must be possible. The whole point of abs is to pulse the breaks to keep the tires from locking so you can maintain steerage. If the wheels lock, you lose traction and steering. There's a slim chance that you can do without abs and still maintain the same control. I think they check for wheel lockage like a few times per second and then react to it. You might be good, but you ain't that good.

Oct 9, 1999
well i dont live in the snow area.. so i love ABS.

More over you should have an option to turn it off.. my dad's car has it i believe.