Anyone else feel that there are 2 fundamental problems with TF2?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: slugg
Okay... you want the TFC equation? The scout does a double concussion jump onto the flag and out of the room. Who said anything about waiting for team mates? TFC has no waiting. This maneuver is extremely hard to do, but if the player has it mastered, it happens.
Actually I'd really like a different example as opposed to just that one which you've used three times. Okay, in TF2 you can't run around infront of sentries and get away unharmed. Okay, you could in TFC. They're different games. That doesn't mean it doesn't require the same elite skill to play an engineer or scout in TF2, it just means the execution of that skill is different.
Umm... I do get this, I just don't agree with it. I believe the better team composed of better players should ALWAYS beat the lesser team with more novice players.
Um, that will also always happen in TF2. As I said, it's a problem when teams get stacked. If you really had experience with the game, you'd witness that yourself. Often times two players switching teams can turn things around.
There's a degree of uncertainty for both games, but like you said, TF2 is relatively unpredictable.
I did not state that TF2 was relatively unpredictible. I simply stated, like you just did, that there is a degree of unpredicitiblity....things outside your control. You admit TFC is like this too. So you're saying TF2 was highly unpredicitible then? Unpredicitibility certainly plays a role, but it's on a micro scale and not a macro scale. That spy, in my last example, on the team being dominated who ninja capped our CP is the exact thing you want. Player skill trumping team skill. It happens fairly often with every class to add up and affect the overall outcome of the game. Of course, had I got that crit sticky in the window, that micro unpredictiblity would have had a huge effect on the macro game. It's actually extremely tightly balanced in TF2.
This unpredictability comes from the very small spread between novice and expert players. If the spread was bigger, it'd be more predictable.
There is a significant spread. It's not as wide as CS:S. That's a good thing. Quite, frankly, I have to wonder if maybe you just happen to be at a novice level and are mistaking the experts handling you as just lucky noobs. What does your steam community page look like?
QWTF and TFC totally scaled with the player's skill. Combine all of this with the teamwork and you have a LARGE range of team effectiveness. This is why I played and loved them both (since you didn't understand why).
Uh, ya, that's the same reason we all love TF2. Unless you have more examples than the scout flag cap maneuver, I'm afriad you're just pointing out tactical differences between the two games and not an imbalance between player skill and team skill.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Anubis
1) no one plays as a team
2) it runs off of Steam

1) wat?
2) and....?

KT

1) too many people just run around solo and dont play as a team, how was the hard to understand the first time

2) steams fucking rapes

corrected

Dec 27, 2001
And, Slugg, answer this. Say the server decides for some reason to break into two teams, with the better players on one and the lesser players on the other. EXCEPT for you. You, as the best player on the server go to the weaker team. Is there a chance, slim or otherwise, that you will be able to get a flag cap?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It's quite obvious that many of you don't care what I have to say. I gave my opinion, I clarified it, I'm done. Don't agree with me? Fine. I really don't care.

wart

Jun 26, 2008
Another issue I have with TF2 is the sentry knockback / turtling in capture/defend maps. It gets to the point where I ask myself why I am playing when the game will just end in sudden death or the defender's favor.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
^^ How dare you say anything bad about a popular game? I hope you have a flame-suit.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: wart
Another issue I have with TF2 is the sentry knockback / turtling in capture/defend maps. It gets to the point where I ask myself why I am playing when the game will just end in sudden death or the defender's favor.

Like with all defenses they should always be better than the attacker because otherwise there would be no point in them.

Also if you use just engies with sentries for defense they will fail utterly. 2 engies and 1 of some other class will always be more efficient thatn 3 engies.

Also without the knockback the defending team would be utterly screwed if an ubered pyro attacks them.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
If you play more, you will see that stacking a team with all one class will result in a loss for that team 99% of the time. Additionally, if you put all the most skilled players on one team and the less skilled players on the other, the team with the skilled players will win 99.9% of the time.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar

Like with all defenses they should always be better than the attacker because otherwise there would be no point in them.

Also if you use just engies with sentries for defense they will fail utterly. 2 engies and 1 of some other class will always be more efficient thatn 3 engies.

Also without the knockback the defending team would be utterly screwed if an ubered pyro attacks them.

There are several routes. Demos and pyros, ubered, don't feel the effects of knock back as much.

Also, again, if you actually play the game, you pick up other tactical tricks. For example, to prevent an ubered heavy from getting knocked back, you have the medic go in first so the medic takes the fire and can advance because he's a faster class. I learned that after getting yelled at one of the few times I played medic and made the mistake of standing back on a sentry heavy round of goldrush.

So funny how people run into something once and either give up or can't think up a work around.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

There are several routes. Demos and pyros, ubered, don't feel the effects of knock back as much.

Also, again, if you actually play the game, you pick up other tactical tricks. For example, to prevent an ubered heavy from getting knocked back, you have the medic go in first so the medic takes the fire and can advance because he's a faster class. I learned that after getting yelled at one of the few times I played medic and made the mistake of standing back on a sentry heavy round of goldrush.

So funny how people run into something once and either give up or can't think up a work around.
ahh, didnt know that :)

wart thumbed

Feb 17, 2008

Don't get me wrong I don't hate the game, I actually play it frequently, but when there are 3-5 sentry guns on the last point in a 32 man pub it gets kind of hard to do anything with an uber, regardless of the medic going first.

And trust me on this one, teamwork in a public server is hardly something to expect.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: wart thumbed

Don't get me wrong I don't hate the game, I actually play it frequently, but when there are 3-5 sentry guns on the last point in a 32 man pub it gets kind of hard to do anything with an uber, regardless of the medic going first.

And trust me on this one, teamwork in a public server is hardly something to expect.

a good spy or good demos make the sentries useless, just takes teamwork... team ... like in team fortress

I was once playing an engie in fort32 on a 32 player server and we had 4 ot 5 sentries at the entrance, took the enemy spy a few tries but in the end he managed to disable most of them so the rest of his team could rush in and take it all out

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: wart thumbed

It takes 3 stickies to kill a sentry and it's engie, so one ubered demo can easily take out three. If they have 5, then that means they don't have much to try and stop your buildup. It also means a spy engie will be tough to identify. Of course a lot depends on individual effort and the talent level of your team. The identical tactics will work against one team and fail against another, so odds are, if they stopped you with 5 sentries, they could wipe out your 5 sentires if you tried the same thing.

As far as teamwork, it's always there, but in varying amounts at different time of the day on different maps. On 32 player servers, which I play exclusively, there are usually pockets of teamwork. Guilds will work together....as will friends. You want to coordinate with their actions and try to compliment it.