Anyone bought a storage shed before? Resin, metal, wood?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fuzzybabybunny, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bignate603

Bignate603 Lifer

Yeah, the owner of the warehouse isn't going to like that. Your plan is pretty ridiculous.

If you seriously only have 6 or 7 plastic bins go rent the smallest storage facility you can find and stack them up. They have some that are the size of a big closet, in my area they rent for about $30 a month.

2. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

rent a Honda fit?

3. Dice144

Dice144 Senior member

Gonna go out on limb here but maybe just throw or sell the stuff off? If its going in a storage bin and you don't wanna spend real money to keep it must not be worth saving.

My friend is the type that buys stuff weekly then complains about money. Then he buys more stuff and now "needs" a storage unit??? Lol

Oh and now he complains about the monthly cost of the storage unit!

4. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

I just bought a prebuilt one. I wasn't cheap so I financed it. It was $15 a month more than I was paying to rent a space and in the end it will be mine. It's built extremely well. Wood frame, vinyl siding, shingle roof with a huge oversized door. I got a 10x14 and absolutely love it. Well worth the money.

5. yh125d

yh125d Diamond Member

FBB is my favorite troll

6. the DRIZZLE

the DRIZZLE Platinum Member

Make sure you add some roadkill and fish scraps from the fish market. You want to make your garbage pile smell really bad it doesn't attract thieves.

7. Leros

Leros Lifer

I think your dad and my dad learned construction from the same guy.

8. Greenman

Greenman Diamond Member

You necroed a thread to promote your business with your very first post here?

I'm not going to miss you when you're gone.

9. Sluggo

Sluggo Lifer

How come we never got pictures of this godforsaken eyesore?

Holy crap.

10. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

I have a 10X8 metal shed from Arrow, it cost $200 in 2004, probably closer to $300 now, it comes in a large, flat box with a big instruction manual and a bag with 500+ screws. The instructions are long but well laid out, first you have to have some kind of flooring, a metal shed on grass is just a bad idea, I used cinder blocks and OSB plywood for the deck, put a large sheet of plastic under the OSB to act as a vapor barrier, it has to be level, not perfect but close. Next you built the sub-assemblies, there are several to do then your ready to assemble the shed, don't even THINK about doing this on a windy day, just don't. Assembly was straightforward but long, between the foundation and all the screwing it took 2 days to finish. You will need several tubes of calk, calking the screws and the joints will give you a decent shot of a non-leaking shed. A resin shed would probably a lot less complicated to assemble but they cost more than twice of a metal shed. You could go homemade and download some plans somewhere, you could go ultra-cheap and find pallets or other scrap lumber but you need the carpentry skills (I don't have the skills or the tools) and if using untreated wood paint it, sooner rather than later. If going the metal route get/borrow.buy a decent powered cordless screwdriver or drill, this is WAY to many screws to deal with by hand, lastly if you live in a humid climate (I live in FL) you need to tackle surface rust on a regular basis, a few cans of spray paint and sanding of your choice will keep it in decent condition, mine's 8yrs old and looks/works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.