Anyone bought a storage shed before? Resin, metal, wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Instead of renting a storage unit, I'm going to buy a storage shed and put it in the back parking lot of a warehouse that my cousin owns. It's a relatively quiet part of town, but since I've got some stuff in there like my desktop computer that I don't want to break or get stolen, safety is a bit of a issue. It's sunny California but it does rain a few times a year.

So far, a resin shed seems to be winning:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_321319-1217...=storage+shed&Ns=p_product_price|0&facetInfo=

Good reviews, easy enough to put together, decent security, good price (cheaper than half a year of storage, plus at the end I own a *shed*)

The steel ones sound like a complete pain in the ass to put together and are just more difficult to deal with.

Anyone have any input on storage sheds?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Never had one. Really want one. Spend too much on storage at Uhaul. And its inconvenient to go over there any time we need something.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Resin are cheap and will never rot on you, but they look like crap (comparatively). You will have better security at a proper storage facility, so I hope that whatever you're putting in this plastic thing (even a young child could break into it with a crowbar) is of little real value to you.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
we have a 1 car garage made into a storage shed. trouble is the old owners took out the huge door and put in a regular front door. its useless for anything wider then 32 inches.

i have a medal one i put my lawnmowers in. but i hate it. Its going on 3 years old and rusting.

So next one we get is going to be wood. the one i like is http://www.lowes.com/pd_344303-57658-183096_4294778098__?productId=3412838&Ntt=storage%2Bshed&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Wood%2BStorage%2BSheds_4294778098__s%3FNtt%3Dstorage%252Bshed%26page%3D3%26Ns%3Dp_product_price%7C0&facetInfo= its big enough i can put in a small wood working shop too.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Resin. Metal rusts, and wood rots. Easy to put together. Just make sure your base is flat and level or you'll have issues with fitment.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Resin. Metal rusts, and wood rots. Easy to put together. Just make sure your base is flat and level or you'll have issues with fitment.

IF built correctly by the time a wood one rots out he will be dead.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Resin is easy to build and zero maintenance but will provide no security. One could easily pry the doors open with their hands or kick in a wall.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_293523-7512...nd_name|0||p_product_description|0&facetInfo=

(got it about 4 years ago for ~ $750 delivered by Lowe's.

It's fine for storage of my yard tools and such...in my back yard, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving valuables in it in an unattended location. Even something like a "Tuff-Shed" leaves quite a bit to be desired for security if it's not in a location that's fairly secure.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001

This is the fact. When I was a kid my father poured a 12 x 12 slab and erected a metal shed on it. The shed was great ... until is started rusting and looking like crap.

Go the resin route ...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
You can do what my dad did if you're cheap:

1. Build a really cheap, unstable frame, then stash all your garbage under it.
2. Walk around the neughbourhood, look through peoples' garbage, and find really large pieces of wood - don't buy plywood stupid, use thrown out closet doors.
3. Attach doors to wood frame with 2 nails a piece - don't worry, you aren't making doors, just a "covering" to comply with the municipal by-law inspector's orders.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I think I've decided what I'm going to do:

I have perhaps 6-7 plastic bins of stuff. What I'm going to do is just put them in the back parking lot of the warehouse and cover it all with a plastic tarp. Then I'm going to pile some garbage on top of it. Junky plywood, branches, make it look dirty and stuff.

A shed costs money, looks to be a pain in the ass to assemble, and it's a big red arrow saying "hey, I store lots of shit in there."

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004

I have perhaps 6-7 plastic bins of stuff. What I'm going to do is just put them in the back parking lot of the warehouse and cover it all with a plastic tarp. Then I'm going to pile some garbage on top of it. Junky plywood, branches, make it look dirty and stuff.

A shed costs money, looks to be a pain in the ass to assemble, and it's a big red arrow saying "hey, I store lots of shit in there."

the homeless are going to go through your shit like it is christmas

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
You should be able to find a metal shipping container for about twice the price of that plastic shed and it will be much more secure, and look more at home behind a warehouse. I have seen some as small as about 10ft, but you are usually more likely to get them in in 20ft or 40ft.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
if safety is an issue why doesnt your "cousin" let you store your stuff inside the "warehouse".

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Maybe I should tell you, here in hawaii, if someone calls you aunty(antie), uncle(unko), cousin(cuz, cuzin), brother(bra, bradah), or sister(sistah), its just slang and they arent really related to you.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

You can't possibly serious.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Really?

I'm going to need pic's of this.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000

best idea ive ever heard. you should do this immediately.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If you're gonna do that, why don't you just load everything in a blue barrel, and tie it to the roof of your car? It's cheap, and relatively secure. Leaving your crap laying around is the worst idea I've heard. I'm a scavenger, and I'd see through your ruse immediately. It wouldn't look right, and I'd investigate. After investigation, your crap would be my crap. I'd assume it was abandoned, and wouldn't feel a bit bad about taking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.