Anybody watching NJ and VA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It's amazing how "independents" require Democrats to be absolutely perfect in everything they do or say, otherwise they jump ship for batshit insane Trumpers.
Lots of “independents “ are among the unvaccinated. Also worth pointing out they’re being fooled into thinking he’s not a Trumper. He’s done a great job on his intended targets...acting like Romney.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo and JD50

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
During these elections where there is such a huge difference between the sane and the insane, I always wonder which side the country leans to. Like with Trump 2016 vs Hillary 2016, I was really shocked on how many insane people there were in the country. People that could actually walk, talk, and sadly enough vote.

Then came Biden vs Trump 2020, and the sane people won but only by a razor thin margin. The sane people won but there was still a lot of insane people out there. And all of these elections seem to go that way, by razor thin margins one way or the other with the insane closing in on the sane. And this race in Virginia is no different.

We had that senate race in Georgia, and the sane people won again, and that too was a close one. So now we have that governors race in Virginia and here we are again, looking at another razor thin squeaker. However, this one I don't feel too good about. We still have a hell of a lot of insane people out there and they are still voting. And every time the insane candidate wins, then Donald Trump comes that much closer to running in 2024. Closer and closer. If the insane people take this Virginia election, then look out democrats in 2022 because if 2022 also goes bad then you can absolutely guarantee that there will be a Donald Trump candidacy for 2024.

Do miracles still exist? Can McAuliffe pull it off? Will the last remaining sane voters in Virginia please turn off the lights when you leave. :(

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The early vote totals will tell the outcome, if Youngkin gets close in early voting it’s over...the voting day votes will favor Youngkin.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You think TMac ran a poor campaign? Was it the parents and education comment?

Yes. Among other things.

He's fumbled and Youngkin largely hasn't. Left unsaid is that Trump staying away is an enormous help to Youngkin. Is Trump going to lock himself in a closet for 22? I tend to doubt it.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
If McCaullife loses, it may be a good thing. It's one thing to be an opposition party another to get things done. What will Youngkin do when Covid increases, will he have ban masks ? What about when Trump comes and starts talking crazy? It's one thing to wink at Trump co.. but how do you respond when you actually have a state to run.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
If McCaullife loses, it may be a good thing. It's one thing to be an opposition party another to get things done. What will Youngkin do when Covid increases, will he have ban masks ? What about when Trump comes and starts talking crazy? It's one thing to wink at Trump co.. but how do you respond when you actually have a state to run.
if Youngkin wins, I can see him blame the dem run state House for all the problems

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's funny how many people here actually think republicans will be held accountable for their shitty votes. In OKC they all run pretending to be moderate Democrats, then go vote like insane trumpets, and get reelected like nothing happened.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Also, if Youngkin wins, the fault lays at the feet of Mouchin and Sinema.

It likely would have helped if the bills passed last month I think but how much is an open question IMO. Fingers (R and D) are assuredly going to be pointed but by whom and in what directions is really what we're waiting to find out.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It likely would have helped if the bills passed last month I think but how much is an open question IMO. Fingers (R and D) are assuredly going to be pointed but by whom and in what directions is really what we're waiting to find out.
Congressional bickering always hurts, and in this case the only thing anyone knows about it is that Dems wants to spend "trillions." All of the coverage had been about the budget wedge and bickering.

Reactions: hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Congressional bickering always hurts, and in this case the only thing anyone knows about it is that Dems wants to spend "trillions." All of the coverage had been about the budget wedge and bickering.

Most people aren't really tuned into that though, even in NOVA, unless there is a shutdown. That's not to say I don't think it would have helped on the margin to have passed something.

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
They if they hadn't stopped for that last selfie, it would have been all over. History is going to write this one as the revolution lost to vanity.

Remember when Republicans were truthful about January 6, 2021? They started lying about it shortly thereafter. Well, not all of them. Just the vane ones apparently...

Sen Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) said Friday she attributes the violence at the Capitol to Trump, and that, “I want him to resign. I want him out. He has caused enough damage,” even hinting at a defection from the GOP if it continues in its current pro-Trump direction.

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) said in a CBS News interview Friday he “will definitely consider whatever articles [of impeachment]” pass the House of Representatives because Trump has “disregarded his oath of office.”

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) said in a Fox News interview Saturday that he believes Trump “committed impeachable offenses” but didn’t say whether he would vote for articles of impeachment, stating, “I don’t know what is going to land on the Senate floor, if anything.”

Rep. Garret Graves (R-La.), a member of the conservative Republican Study Committee, said in a radio interview Friday that Trump should “effectively resign” and “technically [find] a way to hand over the keys to Pence,” while stopping short of advocating his impeachment.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), an outspoken critic of Trump’s election conspiracy theories, was the first GOP member of Congress to call for Trump’s removal on Thursday, calling Trump “unfit” and “unwell” and urging Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet to remove him through the 25th Amendment.

Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio) said Thursday he “would not oppose” the Cabinet invoking the 25th Amendment, adding that Trump should be “held accountable” for his role in the attack.

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wy) said “Everything that followed was his doing,” she said. “None of this would have happened without the president. I will vote to impeach the president.”

Rep. Tom Rice (R-SC) said "I have backed this President through thick and thin for four years. I campaigned for him and voted for him twice. But, this utter failure is inexcusable."

“I can’t imagine another president in my lifetime that would not have tried to intervene there, would not have tried to say, ‘Hey, this needs to stop, and you need to go home,’” Rice told AP. “For him to sit there and watch TV, and watch these policemen being beaten up, and the Capitol being stormed, and not to be very aggressive about … getting out there and trying to speak to these people himself, is just beyond my imagination.”

Rep. Dan Newhouse (R-Wa) said "The mob was inflamed by the language and misinformation of the President of the United States. ... A vote against impeachment is a vote to validate unacceptable violence" and "to condone President Trump's inaction."

Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (R-Ohio) said Trump "helped organize and incite a mob that attacked the United States Congress in an attempt to prevent us from completing our solemn duties as prescribed by the Constitution." He added that during the attack, Trump "abandoned his post ... thus further endangering all present."

Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mi) said he would have preferred a bipartisan censure that would interfere with the business of the next administration, "but," he said, "it is time to say enough is enough." He also cited Trump's efforts "to impede the peaceful transfer of power from one President to the next."

Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-Wa) declared on the House floor of her vote in favor of impeachment: "I'm not choosing sides, I'm choosing truth."

Rep. Peter Meijer (R-Mi) said Trump showed no "courage" and "betrayed millions with claims of a 'stolen election.'" He added, "The one man who could have restored order, prevented the deaths of five Americans including a Capitol police officer, and avoided the desecration of our Capitol, shrank from leadership when our country needed it most."

Rep. John Katko (R-Ny) said of Trump: "It cannot be ignored that President Trump encouraged this insurrection." He also noted that as the riot was happening, Trump "refused to call it off, putting countless lives in danger."

Rep. David Valadao (R-Ca) said: "President Trump was, without question, a driving force in the catastrophic events that took place on January 6." He added, "His inciting rhetoric was un-American, abhorrent, and absolutely an impeachable offense."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They if they hadn't stopped for that last selfie, it would have been all over. History is going to write this one as the revolution lost to vanity.
Interesting - what would you call the president threatening election officials to get them to falsify and overturn the results of an election in his favor?

That sure sounds like a coup attempt to me. In fact, it's baffling that anyone would think otherwise.

Reactions: Vic

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m used to seeing Democrats lose governorships—nothing new there.

What is novel is the reason behind the loss:
69917c3d9bb91e18d83844a9fa12d5f6.jpg

Now people are saying that if McAuliffe loses Virginia it’ll be a referendum on Biden and the Dem congress and their progressive agenda. Wait, what?? When did actual policy have anything to do with Youngkin’s campaign? Nevermind that, to what Dem Congress are you referring to? Real Democrats never held a majority in the Senate—it’s painfully obvious now. And what progressive agenda is being rammed down our throats? We’re still living in Trump’s America.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Interesting - what would you call the president threatening election officials to get them to falsify and overturn the results of an election in his favor?

That sure sounds like a coup attempt to me. In fact, it's baffling that anyone would think otherwise.

They're hinging judgement on if it was successful or not. The Sideshow Bob defense.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They're hinging judgement on if it was successful or not. The Sideshow Bob defense.
I agree. I think as time as gone on this year it has become abundantly clear that Trump was sincerely attempting to stay in power despite losing the election and this was a planned, sustained, and coordinated effort.

People are attached to their political party through tribal bonds and so they really don't like to think that their guys tried to overthrow the republic. But... they did.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Most people aren't really tuned into that though, even in NOVA, unless there is a shutdown. That's not to say I don't think it would have helped on the margin to have passed something.
They are tuned into "3.5 Trillion!!!!" Being said over and over for the last 5 months, with all the BS republican talking points.

Reactions: hal2kilo