Anybody here an Uber or Lyft driver?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/uber-drivers-are-running-on-empty_56031619e4b00310edf9e8a7

"I thought that I could earn a better income driving for these companies. Their ads led me to believe my pay would be $25 an hour."

"At the airport, I earned $9.47 an hour as a dispatcher and had health-care benefits. With Uber and Lyft, driving 37,000 miles in 2014, after all my expenses (vehicle financing, fueling, insuring and maintaining) I earn $2.64 an hour and have no health-care coverage if injured."

just posting the news

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

I think the problem is that many people expect Uber to replace their full time job and pay their finances.

Why should you count the guy's car financing and insurance into his pay? This feels like the Beanie Babies thread. Uber started off super hot and without so many drivers, some people were making huge money with surges full time. These same people went out and decided to finance their Prius or whatever believing that the Uber thing would be stable and last.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The dude expected $25 an hour? I guess I haven't seen their ads, but that just seems a bit silly to expect.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

Wow, someone bothered to do the math.

P.S. Given how prevalent the "investment property" thing is in Canada, and how big the bubble has become, I wouldn't be surprised if Uber/Lyft gets a perpetual supply of drivers willing to work for sub-minimum wage.

You mean my rental property might go through periods of vacancy? And the bank will still make me pay my mortgage? You also mean I might not have fares all the time? And the supply of drivers given the low barrier to entry might affect the amount of down-time?

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
The guy expected $25 an hour, after his car's monthly payment, gas, maintenance, and insurance.

The ads have been slowly declining in quality,. At first it was like...

EARN UP TO $1000 A WEEK DRIVING FOR UBER
Then it was
EARN UP TO $800 A WEEK DRIVING FOR UBER
Then it was
GET UP TO $700 IN FARES DRIVING FOR UBER
Now it's
GET UP TO $660 IN FARES DRIVING FOR UBER

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
The ads have been slowly declining in quality,. At first it was like...

EARN UP TO $1000 A WEEK DRIVING FOR UBER
Then it was
EARN UP TO $800 A WEEK DRIVING FOR UBER
Then it was
GET UP TO $700 IN FARES DRIVING FOR UBER
Now it's
GET UP TO $660 IN FARES DRIVING FOR UBER

To be honest though it was like that. A friend of mine was making $1000 profit a week in LA about 2 years ago. $660 in fares which comes out to about $530 a week in profit is about what you can make right now unless you hit some really nice rides.

I had some pretty great days when I was driving but also some meh ones.

5CKQl2M.png

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
The dude expected $25 an hour? I guess I haven't seen their ads, but that just seems a bit silly to expect.

Ads playing today on the radio make it appear like it's easy to make $500/day driving for Uber, I hear them running all the time on the station I regularly listen to. Perhaps a 10hr workday, that's $50/hr.

It goes something like: "With Uber you get to decide your own paycheck. If you want to make $200 per day you can do that. If you want to make $500 per day you can do that."

Last edited:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
To be honest though it was like that. A friend of mine was making $1000 profit a week in LA about 2 years ago. $660 in fares which comes out to about $530 a week in profit is about what you can make right now unless you hit some really nice rides.

I had some pretty great days when I was driving but also some meh ones.

How's the Uber rate now compared to when you were driving?

I've read that Uber has a habit of starting with relatively high fares when they first enter a new city. Once established, the rate starts going lower.

But the lower rate is supposed to attract more riders so you're supposed to make more... That's funny because for that to work, you'd have to have a lot of downtime and more riders would increase uptime. Otherwise, you'd have to work more hours to make more. And if your city's service is established, there should be a steady supply of drivers, maybe to the point of saturation -- unless so many have been banned or discouraged from low income.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
How's the Uber rate now compared to when you were driving?

I've read that Uber has a habit of starting with relatively high fares when they first enter a new city. Once established, the rate starts going lower.

But the lower rate is supposed to attract more riders so you're supposed to make more... That's funny because for that to work, you'd have to have a lot of downtime and more riders would increase uptime. Otherwise, you'd have to work more hours to make more. And if your city's service is established, there should be a steady supply of drivers, maybe to the point of saturation -- unless so many have been banned or discouraged from low income.

Rate hasn't changed. They give sign up bonuses to attract new riders and for referrals.

I got a $50 gas card for signing up. $100 after 10 rides. $200 after 20 rides. $500 after my referral did 20 rides.

$850 in only bonuses plus my fares.

Bonuses change month to month and vary by city though. Now the referral is $200 for you and the new person after the new person hits 20 rides.

Lyft's bonus is insane. 50 rides in 30 days to get $500. Lyft doesn't have many users so to get 50 rides, you'd have to do it almost full time. I can get 5-10 rides on Uber a night in a few hours easily.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Cool. I need to do a ride before my account gets deactivated.

Prices in OC got raised by .95 cents.

you mean the SRF got raised by .95 cents - yea SRF got raised everywhere (almost).

Been riding Lyft for the past 2 weeks with their 50% off promo.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
it's the SRF a subset of the fare though?

$4.95 - 1.95 SRF = $3 to the driver, less 20-25% commission = 2.25 - 2.40 to the driver.

SRF always gets negated out for me in OC/LA. I'm not sure about other markets.

Basically they charge the $1.95 to driver and add it to my account then they take it.