Anybody here an Uber or Lyft driver?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Hey AznAnarchy, enjoy your prorated settlement check.

er will pay up to $100 million to drivers who had sought to be classified as employees, settling two lawsuits that posed a threat to the company’s on-demand business model, which relies on independent contractors.

The San Francisco ride-hailing company Thursday evening announced it will pay an initial sum of $84 million to settle cases in California and Massachusetts to some 385,000 drivers. Uber, which is valued at $62.5 billion, said it will pay the drivers an additional $16 million if the company’s valuation reaches 1.5 times its current value after it goes public or if it gets bought.

The company also agreed to policy changes that reduce its control over drivers, shifting to be more in line with an independent contractor relationship.

The settlement brings to a close what employment experts believe was the biggest existential threat to the fast-growing start-up. Uber built its high valuation on a system that uses independent contractors, enabling the company to avoid covering driver expenses such as gas and mileage, or providing benefits such as health insurance, Social Security, overtime or sick days. Recognizing its drivers as employees would have bitten into its margins -- and potentially slowed its global expansion and raised fares.

Plaintiff attorney Shannon Liss-Riordan brought the lawsuit against Uber and 11 other on-demand companies that use similar models (those companies are not included in the settlement). The case against Uber in California was filed in 2013; drivers in the Massachusetts case filed their suit in 2014.

California regulators permit Uber and Lyft to offer carpooling services
California regulators permit Uber and Lyft to offer carpooling services
In addition to the monetary settlement, Uber will institute several changes in the way it disciplines drivers.

The company will no longer be able to deactivate drivers’ accounts at will. Drivers will now receive warnings and have an opportunity to correct any issues before they are cut from the service. The company will also stop deactivating drivers who turn down rides frequently.

Uber will create appeal panels and help drivers form an association so they can contest terminations.

If drivers are unhappy with the result of their appeals, they can bring their claim to an arbitrator at Uber’s expense.

The company will also institute an internal escalation process to handle disputes regarding driver pay.

Finally, Uber will make it clear to riders that tips are not included in Uber’s fares. Drivers will be permitted to solicit tips from passengers -- a policy that competitor Lyft has long offered.

The settlement still needs to be approved by Judge Edward Chen of the District Court of Northern California. An Uber spokeswoman said it will probably be a months-long process.

If approved, the payment will be distributed among drivers in California and Massachusetts who performed at least one trip up until the date of the preliminary settlement approval. Distribution will be based on miles driven while a passenger was in the car. Drivers who logged more than 25,000 miles may receive $8,000 or more, according to Liss-Riordan.

“If we chose not to settle this case, we faced risks,” Liss-Riordan said in a prepared statement. “We faced the risk that a jury in San Francisco (where Uber is everywhere and quite popular) may not side with the drivers over Uber."

Liss-Riordan acknowledged that some drivers will be disappointed the case did not go to trial. But she noted that the case is only being settled, not decided. This means no court has ruled whether Uber drivers are employees or independent contractors, and future litigation over the same issue remains possible.

“The debate will not end here,” she said.

In a prepared statement on Uber’s website, Chief Executive Travis Kalanick said the majority of Uber drivers prefer to remain independent contractors, which is “why we are so pleased that this settlement recognizes that drivers should remain as independent contractors, not employees,” he said.

Just because Uber has agreed to settle does not mean this particular case is over. Lyft tried to settle a similar class-action lawsuit with drivers this year, but the judge in the case rejected the settlement offer, arguing that the monetary payment was too low. Both sides have gone back to the drawing board.

When taken to trial, employment lawsuits of this kind tend to be all or nothing. By settling, the drivers’ attorney is ensuring her clients will at least receive some compensation.

For Uber, a settlement means the company avoids the risk of losing the lawsuit and being forced to recognize its thousands of drivers as employees -- and putting itself on the hook to pay back wages and benefits.

“As we’ve grown we’ve gotten a lot right — but certainly not everything,” Kalanick said. “But there’s more to do, which is why I’m excited about some other improvements we have planned for the not-too-distant future.”

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
There is a reason I don't drive for Uber anymore aka knocking down the rate from $1.75/mi and $0.25/min down to $1.00/mi and $0.17/min. Every now and then I consider turning it on for a quick bit of extra cash. But now I have a regular job once more and my car has just passed the 100,000 mile mark. It's simply not worth it for me when all the business is super late at night, and I can't stand drunk idiots. Daytimes are way too quiet when I'm not working the regular job, but once again, I really don't want to add more unnecessary miles to my vehicle. She's had enough. I'd rather waste that time trying to build my Youtube and Ebay empire! :D

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...-hit-by-stray-bullet-outside-toronto-bar.html

This is (obviously) not the fault of the driver. But statistically it is inevitable that this sort of thing will happen.

Inevitable, for _someone_. But I would hope that "statistically" the chances of any given Uber driver getting hit by a stray bullet are pretty low.

Not as often as when Uber starts offering towing services I suppose.

Those won't be stray bullets.

For the record, the applicable deficiency here is 'lack of proper insurance'.

???

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
There is a reason I don't drive for Uber anymore aka knocking down the rate from $1.75/mi and $0.25/min down to $1.00/mi and $0.17/min. Every now and then I consider turning it on for a quick bit of extra cash. But now I have a regular job once more and my car has just passed the 100,000 mile mark. It's simply not worth it for me when all the business is super late at night, and I can't stand drunk idiots. Daytimes are way too quiet when I'm not working the regular job, but once again, I really don't want to add more unnecessary miles to my vehicle. She's had enough. I'd rather waste that time trying to build my Youtube and Ebay empire! :D

I don't get why anyone drives for uber. They make money by squeezing the people that actually produce the revenue. Their entire business model is about skirting the law.

Lay down with dogs and you're bound to get fleas.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...-hit-by-stray-bullet-outside-toronto-bar.html

For the record, the applicable deficiency here is 'lack of proper insurance'.

Did ya miss this bad boy?

A silver Malibu involved in a crash during a police chase in downtown Toronto last month was a rental driven by a 39-year-old UberX driver, the Star has learned.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/04/19/uberx-car-involved-in-crash-was-a-rental.html

I don't get why anyone drives for uber. They make money by squeezing the people that actually produce the revenue. Their entire business model is about skirting the law.

Lay down with dogs and you're bound to get fleas.

But but but but but average $20/hour, taxis are bad, and the people want Uber. From what I've seen, drivers usually figure it out after 3 months.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
lol @ the uber reply. They check your car ONCE and then after that no more checks. So homie probably wrecked his car and then got a rental, and the app still displayed his old car.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Did ya miss this bad boy?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/04/19/uberx-car-involved-in-crash-was-a-rental.html

But but but but but average $20/hour, taxis are bad, and the people want Uber. From what I've seen, drivers usually figure it out after 3 months.
No I didn't miss it.

Commercial drivers with personal use insurance are going to have more and more problems.

I use taxis because they are inspected and insured. Everything else, including but not limited to cost, is less important than these items.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Inevitable, for _someone_. But I would hope that "statistically" the chances of any given Uber driver getting hit by a stray bullet are pretty low.

Those won't be stray bullets.

???

Yes, inevitable that uber cars will be involved in incidents. Thus the need for real insurance and actual inspections. Both of which the company describes as 'unnecessary red tape'.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Yes, inevitable that uber cars will be involved in incidents. Thus the need for real insurance and actual inspections. Both of which the company describes as 'unnecessary red tape'.

Aren't inspections and insurance mandatory most places to put a car on the road?

And I can't help but wonder how inspecting a car is going to make it more immune to random gunfire incidents.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Aren't inspections and insurance mandatory most places to put a car on the road?

And I can't help but wonder how inspecting a car is going to make it more immune to random gunfire incidents.

It's not. The relevant problem there is insurance. What happens when it's a commercial passenger who is hit?

Your basic private motorist auto insurance is not commercial insurance and does not cover you to carry passengers for hire. This is a big deal.

In many jurisdictions, a car needs to be inspected only to be initially registered. Once allowed on the road, it is legal 'forever'.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Used it all weekend during a bach party (8 of us) Montreal, and getting to and from LGA (airport in NYC). Cheaper, than taxis, rides show up right away and no problems any time of day or night.

There was a line of 100 people waiting for taxis outside of LGA for $60 rides. Uber picked us up in 5 minutes for $40 bucks. No payment problems, tipping, long route route BS.

When I try actual local taxi companies the person taking the call usually barely speaks english, the cars are horrible and we are lucky if they show up at all.

Its not even close. Maybe Uber in its current exact form is sketchy but its 100000 times better than all taxi experiences I've had.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

When I changed insurance a year back I had to sign a form stating that I had no coverage of any kind if I drove for uber or any similar "for hire" operations.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
When I changed insurance a year back I had to sign a form stating that I had no coverage of any kind if I drove for uber or any similar "for hire" operations.

There supposedly is a no "livery" services clause in insurance policies -- I had to look that word up. Being more blunt will probably make it easier to deny claims.

Jun 18, 2000
Don't most of the major insurance companies now have ridesharing coverage? I don't know what the price is like, but I remember seeing articles about the big-boys like Progressive and Gieco offering it for additional charge.