Anybody from the Minneapolis area?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
It's not Iowa. And I'd much rather drive searing hot needles into my eyes than drive 494 during rush hour.

Hon - there is nothing for me in Iowa. No jobs, nothing. This is an opportunity I don't want to pass up. It's a big city with a lot more opportunities and experiences.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Fun town, Downtown (Nicolette Mall area, all the skywalks) is awesome, and its also cool around 494, France avenue, Lyndale, Penn, Mall of America area. Really neat place.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Jadow
I'm not from Minneapolis, but I go there quite often.

There's 4 words to memorize:
Mortons
Mannys
Murrays
The Oceanairre

That's five words. :p But as people above said, embrace the cold.

-Por

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Well, it feels official now.

My parents just rented a townhouse over the weekend, so I have an address now. Gonna be living in Arden Hills.

Also ordered my new phone over the weekend - T-mobile, so hopefully that should come in the next few days.

I'm excited - all I need is a job now. My stepdad is moving on Sunday, my mom a week from next Sunday, and I will be up there once we move all our furniture (so I have a place to sleep ;))

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002
Been living on the West Bank for about 5 years, moving Uptown in a couple of months.

Tip: Bring a jacket. A warm one. :beer:

I have Verizon wireless, and it has been pretty good. Never have reception problems.

And I also like Tool.

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: PorBleemo
Originally posted by: Jadow
I'm not from Minneapolis, but I go there quite often.

There's 4 words to memorize:
Mortons
Mannys
Murrays
The Oceanairre

That's five words. :p But as people above said, embrace the cold.

-Por

I think two more words need to be added to that list: Bring Money. Very pricey (but worth it!)

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: toolgirl
Looks like I'll be moving to the Twin cities within a month or so.

Any tips? Advice?

I'll probably be looking for a new wireless service - any recommendations?

Regine :)

I wouldn't mind living there. I have a couple of buddies up there who absolutely love the area. They have cranking internet connections at really cheap prices.

Sysadmin

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AnMig
I live 4 hours away north of the TWIN cities (Bemidji MN).

Moving durring spring or summer can help the shock of subzero temperatures durring the winter.
We usually go to the cities once a month just to catch abit of culture (plays) or most of the time to eat and hit the outlet shops.

good luck

Damn you live in walleye country :D

Sysadmin

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
Gonna be living in Arden Hills.
My condolences. ;)

Mind explaining? ;)

Ah, just kidding, really. It should be nice and quiet; maybe too quiet. You may find it a tad, uh, unexciting. (But that's just this city boy's opinion. :) )

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Considering I'm moving there from Iowa, I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, it's not too far from downtown, etc.

I think I'll be having a blast up there :)

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: trilks
MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS, 2002 AND 2003 NCAA HOCKEY CHAMPIONS

NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX, SOON-TO-BE 2004 NCAA HOCKEY CHAMPIONS

:D

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: bradruth
MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS, 2002 AND 2003 NCAA HOCKEY CHAMPIONS

NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX, SOON-TO-BE 2004 NCAA HOCKEY CHAMPIONS

:D

You could be right, ND is damn tough this year. Gophers were awesome last weekend, but they are so up and down, could suck it up this weekend. At least Wisconsin and SCSU are out!

Wait, this thread was about hockey, right? :)

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
[/b]
You could be right, ND is damn tough this year. Gophers were awesome last weekend, but they are so up and down, could suck it up this weekend. At least Wisconsin and SCSU are out!

Wait, this thread was about hockey, right? :)

No, it's about UND owning the U of M. :D

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002
more advice for toolgirl: know your hockey, and be careful of who you talk smack about :D

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Considering I'm moving there from Iowa, I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, it's not too far from downtown, etc.

So, are you going to be taking any classes at the U here? (Or other school, still in high school (nah!), or just hanging out and working?)

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Thegonagle

So, are you going to be taking any classes at the U here? (Or other school, still in high school (nah!), or just hanging out and working?)

I wish I was still in college. LOL

Actually, I'm thinking about either going to law school or getting my masters in criminal justice. Until then I will just be working and hanging out.

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002
Next topic: favorite bars that you should check out.

Try Kieran's, Nye's, O'Donnovan's, Bullwinkle's, all in Mpls. Don't know the St. Paul scene too well...

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
more advice for toolgirl: know your hockey, and be careful of who you talk smack about :D

And you better be a Vikings fan and HATE the green bay packers!

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir

And you better be a Vikings fan and HATE the green bay packers!

Got the hating the packers down - not so sure about the Vikings yet, but maybe they'll grow on me ;)

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002
<-- Bears fan, so hate the Packers more than just about anything

Vikings? ...no comment...