Anybody from the Minneapolis area?

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Looks like I'll be moving to the Twin cities within a month or so.

Any tips? Advice?

I'll probably be looking for a new wireless service - any recommendations?

Regine :)

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: bradruth
I live in ND about 6 hours away from the cities. My tip: embrace the cold.

i live in nd 3 hrs away (fargo) :Q

get a nice winter jacket.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: stev0

I'm in Grand Forks...so I suppose it's closer to 4.5-5. I'm still used to calculating the time it took from the town I grew up in. :eek:

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
I've lived in the Twin Cities several times in various suburbs and can make recommendations for housing based on budget and location. Give me an idea what you're looking for and I'll toss out some areas that should suit your needs :)
Oh, and as far as wireless goes, any of the major carriers will do fine. They all have coverage of the entire metro area and similar prices and features so it doesn't really matter much who you go with, imho...

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
I live 4 hours away north of the TWIN cities (Bemidji MN).

Moving durring spring or summer can help the shock of subzero temperatures durring the winter.
We usually go to the cities once a month just to catch abit of culture (plays) or most of the time to eat and hit the outlet shops.

good luck

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

I'm in Grand Forks...so I suppose it's closer to 4.5-5. I'm still used to calculating the time it took from the town I grew up in. :eek:

gf < fargo

;)

bison > sioux

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I grew up just north of Minneapolis. Lived there for 22 years until i moved down here to Arizona. I got SprintPCS when i was up there and was happy with it. My parents still live there and both have Sprint and are very happy as well. I agree with Flyer though...most are the same as they all have coverage throughout.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
gf < fargo

;)

bison > sioux

Hey, who's got the Nickel Trophy? :D

Who's better between Fargo and GF is debatable...but bigger isn't always better. ;)

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
My stepdad just got a job in Vadnais Heights, so we'll be looking for a place close to there.

He has lived there before for a few years, so he's familiar with the area. I'm not at all. LOL

Hopefully I'd be able to move out (my parents are looking for an apartment first) into my own place first or go to school somewhere up there.

I'm excited though. I've never lived in a bigger city like that before and I cannot wait!

jjessico

May 29, 2002
I live in the mpls area and Sprint PCS works fine although sometimes it sends my calls directly to voicemail, which is annoying but livable.
I have tried out Nextel, Verizon, and Cellular One equipment as demos for selecting a service for me and my coworkers.
The Nextel was great if you just want to talk to others with Nextel, but not that great if you want to call off network.
I had no problems whatsoever with Verizon.
The Cell One was nice but nothing special at all especially for the prices you pay for minutes compared to other providers down here.

As for tips, you can ignore all the winter coat recommendations until next winter. It is about 35 here today and has been in the mid to upper 40s all week it seems.

With the housing it depends on what you want to be close to and how much you want to pay.

-Jason

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: toolgirl
My stepdad just got a job in Vadnais Heights, so we'll be looking for a place close to there.

He has lived there before for a few years, so he's familiar with the area. I'm not at all. LOL

Hopefully I'd be able to move out (my parents are looking for an apartment first) into my own place first or go to school somewhere up there.

I'm excited though. I've never lived in a bigger city like that before and I cannot wait!

Vadnais Heights, eh? That's right near White Bear Lake, if I'm not mistaken... I'd start my search there and work outwards. White Bear Lake is one of the larger suburbs but isn't a direct suburb of the Cities. More of an exurb, actually... Anyway, great place to live, lots to do (all within half an hour or less) and cold cold winters ;)

Subzero

Banned
May 5, 2003

And / or a warm man...:p

St.paul here, T-MOBILE / VERIZON are best,then sprint/qwest.
I have had t-mobile for almost 2 yrs. now.
Welcome to the twin cites.....:beer:

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Originally posted by: subzeromn

Gonna work on the warm man part ;)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Verizon is easily the best in DT Minneapolis, very, very good in the rest of Minneapolis, very good in the SW suburbs, and not quite as great in the N-NW suburbs (because they're so sprawled).

Other tips:

KFAI 90.3 is a great community radio station to check out, but it's only 100 watts (transmitting from the west bank area near the U of MN) and you'll often hear them speaking a different language. Except for like two people, they're staffed almost 100% by volunteers. Check out their program grid at www.kfai.org for shows that would interest you. Lots of the volunteers have wonderful musical sensibility and play some really great stuff that you might never hear of any other way.

If you're driving, the traffic lights in the city of Minneapolis are all on timers, so don't act like a dumbass flashing your bright lights at them. It will change in 30 to 60 seconds, whether you're the only car on the road or not. Most of them are synchronized to one another anyway, so if you know what you're doing (where to turn when, during which hour of the day), you can often "catch a wave" of green lights all the way to your destination.

The cabbies no longer haul ass since the Somoli influx into the area (many of them are inexperienced drivers anyway), so don't bother trying to get behind them and expect them to know how to catch the wave of green lights you're looking at catching.

If you're still searching for a place to live, and you're thinking about living in Minneapolis, feel free to PM me and tell me what you're looking for and what you're looking to spend. I can tell you by looking at the address of a building/house whether it's a good neighborhood or not, whether it's quiet or next to a freeway, and whether there's anything to do entertainment-wise near by. I can even tell you a few of the bad landlords/property companies to stay away from.

EDIT: Never mind on the housing. I don't know the burbs except for Edina, Richfield, Bloomington, Eden Prairie, St. Louis Park, Golden Valley, and a little bit of Burnsville and Crystal (all S-SW and inner W-NW suburbs). Vadnais Heights is more N-NE and I don't know those places well. I don't even consider myself very knowledgeable about St. Paul. But I do know Minneapolis, and I know it quite well.

EDIT 2: That radio station KFAI has another transmitter in St. Paul at 106.7 that might reach Vadnais Heights. Of course there are a bunch of mega-watt radio and TV stations transmitting from the three giant 1500 foot tower a couple miles away in Shoreview that might give a radio some trouble tuning in the puny KFAI transmitter. (These three Shoreview towers are so great, you can their beacon lights from almost 40 miles on a clear night.)

GonzoCircus

Jan 31, 2004
I live in St. Paul. T-Moble is what I have and not so great in St. Paul, much better in Minneapolis. I hear Verizon is the way to go in the twin cities. Be happy you missed the worst of winter here.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: toolgirl
Originally posted by: subzeromn

Gonna work on the warm man part ;)

3hrs isn't that far is it? ;)

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
So all you Twin Cities people, let's get some crazy live poker games going one of these weekends then!

Emrys

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2002
I use sprint and I'm just west of Minneapolis, haven't had a problem with them yet. Can't help with housing where you are looking either, I'm more familiar with the western suburbs and such. Good Luck, seems the winters are finally becoming winters again now. *hopes & crosses his fingers

Edit: *Knocks on Wood

IshmaelLeaver

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2001
Get an arctic-style jacket, industrial strength ice scraper, and a car you don't care about.

Actually live in Minneapolis proper. Hang out at Moose and Sadie's.

That's about it.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: IshmaelLeaver
Get an arctic-style jacket, industrial strength ice scraper, and a car you don't care about.

Actually live in Minneapolis proper. Hang out at Moose and Sadie's.

That's about it.

Words to live by:D

I grew up in North & South Dakota, @ least you-all in MN had a little culture & some pro sports teams...

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

gf < fargo

;)

bison > sioux

Having lived by both, I have to say:

Wash, DC > GF
Wash, DC > Fargo

Actually, my father died in the VA hospital which is located in N/W Fargo.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's not Iowa. And I'd much rather drive searing hot needles into my eyes than drive 494 during rush hour.