Any swedish speakers? Best way to learn?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I will be working in Sweden for 6 months beginning in October, and I don't want to be a stereotypical American that assumes everyone will speak English to me (even though apparently Swedes are happy or otherwise polite enough to)

So I'm hoping to learn relatively quickly to at least have a decent command of things like greetings (I know Hej but that's it!) , asking for directions or help, etc.

Ask them what its like to be second tier Danes.

Last edited:
Reactions: biostud

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Swedish speakers? Not a lot to choose from…most of the best are Euro or US made, but there is Dynaudio and Marten. Personally, if wanting Scandinavian sound, I’d try B&O or DALI, both from Denmark. Both have excellent choices.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Swedish speakers? Not a lot to choose from…most of the best are Euro or US made, but there is Dynaudio and Marten. Personally, if wanting Scandinavian sound, I’d try B&O or DALI, both from Denmark. Both have excellent choices.

Dynaudio is Danish

Nov 17, 2019
I suggest intense immersion therapy with the Swedish Bikini Team.

Wuxi, China Expatdom: The Swedish Bikini Team Says ...

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
To the OP:

Just in case you want a serious answer (and I don't know why you would expect one around here) I once tried to teach myself Chinese. I tried a lot of "teach yourself a new language" type products, and found that only two brands were at all useful.

Pimsluer's courses will teach you the basics of how to speak and hear a language. It will not teach you how to read or write the language. If you are more concerned about just talking to people, being able to order lunch or ask a half drunk native in a club where the bathroom is when you've already had one too many, try the Pimsluer lessons.

Rosetta Stone will teach speaking, listening, reading, and writing all at the same time. I found Pimsluer more useful for conversation that Rosetta Stone, but Pimsluer's courses do not give you any reading or writing instructions.

Mandarin is particularly hard for English speakers, and I eventually had to take a formal course in it, but I found Pimsluer's courses the best of the "teach yourself a new language" of all the courses I took. After I got the basics of Mandarin down I found watching current popular Chinese movies with sub titles useful in picking up slang and helped learn a bit about the way people in the street actually talk, although you have to be careful about the subtitles being grossly wrong in their translation. That may be helpful for you aw well, at least if you like to watch subtitled foreign films.

Good luck with your time in Sweden. I bet spending the money on the Pimsluer course in conversational Swedish will be worth the couple hundred bucks, or what ever they charge now.