Any swedish speakers? Best way to learn?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I will be working in Sweden for 6 months beginning in October, and I don't want to be a stereotypical American that assumes everyone will speak English to me (even though apparently Swedes are happy or otherwise polite enough to)

So I'm hoping to learn relatively quickly to at least have a decent command of things like greetings (I know Hej but that's it!) , asking for directions or help, etc.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I used a site to translate the OP...

I vill be-a vurkeeng in Svedee-a fur 6 munths begeenning in Ouctuber, und I dun't vuont tu be-a a stereutypicel Imericuon zeet issuomes iferyune-a vill speek Ingleesh tu me-a (ifee-a thuough ipperently Svedes ire-a heppy our ouzeervise-a puleete-a inuough tu) Su I'm huping tu leern reletifely quoickly tu it leest hefe-a a decent cummuond ouff zeengs leeke-a greetings (I knuo Hej buot zeet's it!) , iskeeng fur durectiuns our help, itc. Bork Bork Bork!

I suggest translating common phrases til you get a good feel for the language. You should have passable fluency by October.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It is a nice thought, but realisticly your Swedish will never be as good as their English.

In Denmark most people would just switch to English as soon as they heard you were from America. We know our language is quite difficult, and we've been taught English since 1st grade.

Maybe try and find some expat videos on YouTube from Sweden, I know three channels about Denmark, but that doesn't really help you.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Something you might be able to use in Sweden as well, I would think the language is the least of challenges, but it's more about cultural differences.

But see if you can find something similar about Sweden.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I will be working in Sweden for 6 months beginning in October, and I don't want to be a stereotypical American that assumes everyone will speak English to me (even though apparently Swedes are happy or otherwise polite enough to)

So I'm hoping to learn relatively quickly to at least have a decent command of things like greetings (I know Hej but that's it!) , asking for directions or help, etc.
Check your local library's online resources. Mine has multiple websites you can use to learn the basics of different languages.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
You say that like there's a difference...(to the rest of the world)
OP did not ask about the rest of the world. Then again, the dialects in the Southern Sweden have been affected by proximity to Denmark.

I don't speak Swedish ... or more precisely the Swedish that I don't talk is not the rikssvenska (Standard Swedish).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
IKEA vs LEGO

What have your country ever brought into the world?
Neither of those are worth a fuck...kiddies like legos, people with no sense like ikea junk...neither company's product is really manufactured in its home country...it's been outsourced...mainly to Chima.

If you have to ask what my country has ever brought into the world...get the fuck off our internet.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Neither of those are worth a fuck...kiddies like legos, people with no sense like ikea junk...neither company's product is really manufactured in its home country...it's been outsourced...mainly to Chima.

If you have to ask what my country has ever brought into the world...get the fuck off our internet.

Just making fun, I know your country have brought maple syrup and hockey into the world. :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Work part time at IKEA. I was so confused in there with the product names that I would think you may be able to learn much of their language just be stocking the shelves/bins.