Any self employed people here?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
What kind of business do you have? How many hours of work do you put in per week?

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
I run a very small tax practice in Florida. Loving it so far. I use it as supplemental income. Maybe 10 hours a week.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Hired gun for S/W development.

Work what I can bill

Then 3-5 for self to try to keep up with technology

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I'd really like to become self employed. Just not sure what direction to go into.

My home is paid for so I don't need a lot of money per month. It would be great to find a business that I could work 20-30 a week just to pay the bills.

I'd like to get into maybe doing wireless network for home users, it's quick work. Just got to figure out how to advertise myself (for cheap)

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Business: Product development
Hours/Week: 55 more or less, 8 hours/day every day

This last month, I have taken a break from work and have not worked at all.

I quit my job as an Oracle database programmer to develop a patent I co-invented for a countertop water filter. I also am a co-inventor for four patents related to oil drain plugs that I am learning how to market. This past year, my partners and I have submitted over 8 utility patents for our water filter development. The possibility exists that I may return to paid programming work early next year since my savings are running out.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Consumer finance. Took 18+years to find the capital to open my own. Open 7 years, today. TBH, under worked and over paid but that's the benefit of 25 years experience.

Plus no asshole telling me how to run an office when they have "forgotten" how. Not my previous employer but pretty standard for the industry.

My only advice is do what you know.

Last edited:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
My only advice is do what you know.

this

What skills do you have?

What services can you offer that differentiate you from your competition?

I have seen many people over the years fail by not understanding the business they are trying to enter.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
My family owns a small garden center/greenhouse in Illinois.
www.washingtongreenhouse.com The websites a little messy right now, hopefully I can get it updated soon.

In the months of February through June I usually put in between 65-70 hours per week. The rest of the year it's only 45-50.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I operate a construction, property management and development business. I work an average of 60-65 hours a week.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Multimedia designer here, I have about 10 steady clients and work on 1-2 projects at a time. I work about 35 hours a week although it is highly variable.

Some weeks I have tons of free time, other times not so much. Doing all the self employment tax stuff is kind of pain but I wouldn't trade the freedom it offers for anything.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i would totally be self employed except that i would not be able to get health insurance for any less than like 15$k

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Multimedia designer here, I have about 10 steady clients and work on 1-2 projects at a time. I work about 35 hours a week although it is highly variable.

Some weeks I have tons of free time, other times not so much. Doing all the self employment tax stuff is kind of pain but I wouldn't trade the freedom it offers for anything.

What kind of projects are you working on, if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently a full-time UI/UX designer at a firm in Philly but I'd love to go full-time freelance.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
I work as a self-employed front-end web developer. I've been working with one client for the last few months and they've been my only client. Taxes are a pain in the ass. Going to be doing a little less work with this client and adding a couple more. We'll see how it works.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hung my own shingle about 9 months ago and . I probably put in about 40 - 50 hours. It's stressful taking vacations because the calls don't stop (not a bad thing). I can't see myself working for anyone again.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Building contractor. Hours vary, generally 40 a week, with an hour or two most evenings doing paperwork.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Online retail business / application consultant. Was great last year, this year not so much. Probably bring in $45k (aiming for $60k if things pick up before the year is over) when last year was about $190k. That's the way it goes sometimes. But wife is an electrical engineer and works full time, so have always had a steady guaranteed income and is added on top of these numbers.

EDIT:

Last year averaged 20hrs per week, this year I'm around 30 (when I actually started working a few months in). As of the last few weeks though I've been hitting a steady 30-40hrs.

Last edited:

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
What kind of projects are you working on, if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently a full-time UI/UX designer at a firm in Philly but I'd love to go full-time freelance.

No problem, it's a pretty big range of project types that I work on. Two of my clients are in the medical supply field, so I do a lot of 3D animations for their products in use. These can be anywhere from 10 seconds to a full minute.

I also work for a general graphic design studio that calls me in when their workload gets too much for their full time people. I recently did work for a local TV station that needed some motion graphic work for their new TV series they are doing. Often times I work with a company's design division for the length of the contract.

When I made the jump to full time freelance, it was definitely hard at first. I did have a few contacts at the studio I worked full time at so that helped me get a head start. To find more, I met peers at meetups who I collaborated with, met their clients and it kind of snowballed. Repeat clients are the best but when you first start out you may have to take on some less than ideal work. I rarely take on a random project anymore. The more contacts you have the better, companies love hiring contract workers right now.

BTW, I am single and live well below my means so I didn't have a family to support when I made the jump. I'm not sure what kind of UI work you do but if you are web related, or something to do with app UIs then there is plenty of demand for that.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Own a real estate photography business. Make maybe $50K/yr, work 10 hours or less a week. I need to find other things to occupy my time, because this much free time when your needs are already met can be a deadly combination for stagnation. When you've got your needs met, you're generally not as hungry.