Any Programming Books to recommend?

hannahjade

Sep 24, 2020
www.interviewbit.com
Heya, would like to take your suggestions on any good programming books ya'll are into?

Few of the books that tops my list would be:
  1. Bob Martin's "Clean Code"
  2. Martin Fowler's "Refactoring"
  3. Michael Feathers' "Working Effectively with Legacy Code"
  4. Java Script: The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan

Last edited:
Reactions: cornyflake

marcus0

Dec 8, 2020
Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides - Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software

Props for Clean Code, I still meet waay too many programmers, who've never heard of it :S

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
This is one of the best books on multithreading I know about. Even though it focuses on Java, I think anyone doing parallel stuff should read this to know how things can go wrong. It's a very practical book with a lot of great suggestions.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, I haven't heard of any of these books. Is the Clean Architecture one also recommended? One problem that I often see in development is that architectures are defined by the current scope. Foresight tends to be a bit of a problem, and you're often stuck trying to put lipstick on the pig due to the costs associated with change. Of course, it doesn't help that aspects such as architecture can often be defined simply based on what someone is used to using versus what is arguably a more effective/efficient design/pattern.

tisakova

Jan 26, 2021
Robert Martin "Clean Code" (not going to be original here :))
This programming book will tell you not only how to write good code, but also how to turn bad code into good code. It will help you understand why little things like naming variables correctly are not even little things, but important points on the way to knowing how to write "clean code".

Steve McConnell "Code Complete"
This programming book is something every programmer should read at least once in his or her life. For more than a decade, the first edition was rightly considered the best practical guide to coding. Based on his experience, the author has collected different techniques and programming principles. A programmer of any field, at any level, is sure to find something he or she didn't know or didn't think about before.

Brian Wilson Kernighan "The C Programming Language" (or simply K&R)
A book on programming from the authors of the C language. It became a kind of classic textbook on the C language and is still a classic for everyone who learns and/or uses both C and C++. The book is currently being republished for the third time due to the changes in terminology since then.
However, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, you'll need at least some basic understanding of the programming universe.