Any of you hippies protest at Wall Street?

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
omg, just walked past them in Baltimore....they're camping out a few blocks from my office.

It's a business day; why aren't these people at work?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I would not use this as an example for two reasons.

You cannot teach K-6 with just any degree. You have to have a elementary education degree.

Even then, in Texas and it most places it was at one time thought that at the very least ESL and Math/Science teachers were always in demand and there were always jobs. People graduating this past May and going into education found out first hand, even education is not recession proof, at least in Texas. There are a ton of unemployed education grads. Its not so easy to get a teach job in Texas these days.

Here in NJ you can sort of do it. You need a Certificate of eligibility, which many majors from college support. Then you could do the alternate path to teach and take some courses for 2 years to get completely certified while doing the job.

That being said, finding a teaching job is near impossible in many populated areas right now. unless you are science, math, or special ed.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
omg, just walked past them in Baltimore....they're camping out a few blocks from my office.

It's a business day; why aren't these people at work?

Could be many reasons. Night shift, self employed, unemployed, retired, stay at home parent.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
It came across wrong. I meant you don't get to choose what you end up doing(supporting wars, etc) when you enlist.

Well if you've signed up in the last decade you've had a pretty good idea that you'd be going to a War zone. If you signed up for certain jobs you increased your odds. There is some control, be it very small.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
It's a frontier. An adventure. You spend 4 or 5 hours climbing a mountain carrying 90lbs of gear, wondering who's watching you and what they'll do, and then you make it to the top, and look across a true frontier, rifle in hand.
So yes, I'm absolutely serious. I would spend every day in Afghanistan until we withdraw if our system allowed for it.

Nebor thanks for your service! .... I did my 8 so I know what you are giving up but gaining:)

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I would not use this as an example for two reasons.

You cannot teach K-6 with just any degree. You have to have a elementary education degree.

Even then, in Texas and it most places it was at one time thought that at the very least ESL and Math/Science teachers were always in demand and there were always jobs. People graduating this past May and going into education found out first hand, even education is not recession proof, at least in Texas. There are a ton of unemployed education grads. Its not so easy to get a teach job in Texas these days.

Look into it... here in WI we have teachers double diping all the time. They retire at 55 or after 20yrs in then get their jobs back at the same pay and no one has a chance at the job... sick as hell and I have seen it.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
I don't think Communist means what you think it means.

It's a matter of context. You portray yourself as one who was brought up behind the "Iron Curtain".

It's a successful schtick for you. Maybe you were. Maybe you weren't. I really don't care.

True Communism is just as unobtainable and ultimately unsuccessful as true Capitalism is.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
I suppose those in Rome are hippies too?

Hippies, hipsters, violent protesters. All the same shit. They are all angry about something. It's just how their anger manifests that differs. Watch all those "peaceful hippies" cuss up a storm and throw blows at cops when their brotestors are justifiably arrested for breaking the law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rbXfelyIoM

Watch the idiot throw fists at the cops @ 0:42.

What hippies think they are: Ghandi.
What hippies really are: Spoiled brats rebelling against their conservative parents.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
It's a matter of context. You portray yourself as one who was brought up behind the "Iron Curtain".

It's a successful schtick for you. Maybe you were. Maybe you weren't. I really don't care.

True Communism is just as unobtainable and ultimately unsuccessful as true Capitalism is.

I'm not totally sure what your point/argument is. I grew up in the communist Czechoslovakia and saw the velvet revolution with my own, albiet young, eyes...

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Lol its not heroic at all. Planning on getting shot at isn't the best feeling ever. And I did already warn you that you wouldn't understand...

No, I understand. It is pulling a card that works as a trump in most political debates.

Like saying your mom died in a "yo momma" contest.

thing is, it does not fit here, so no matter how you couch it, it just don't hold salt.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
So yes, I'm absolutely serious. I would spend every day in Afghanistan until we withdraw if our system allowed for it.

Nobody is stopping you.

Move there if you wish, there are plenty of people that LOVE it there as well.