any laws on the topic? I was sent the wrong item from a business via mail, do I have to ship it back?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: RIGorous1
Ethically speaking I agree with you Amused; the right thing would be to return it, but...

From a practical standpoint I'm thinking that it was their mistake to begin with, so why should I go through the trouble of having to repackage this monster, spending money to drive to the nearest postal office/etc., waiting in the holiday line, and not be compensated for it all.

Besides, I want to keep the darn thing, so if theres some law that allows me too, why not?

You know it's wrong. Stop making excuses and do the right thing.

Trust me, in the long run, you'll feel better about yourself. And your credit score will thank you too.

Spunky has a good compromise too. Just pay for the 46". Maybe the company will discount it AT LEAST for the return shipping cost if you buy it. Negotiate with them.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Ethically speaking I agree with you Amused; the right thing would be to return it, but...

From a practical standpoint I'm thinking that it was their mistake to begin with, so why should I go through the trouble of having to repackage this monster, spending money to drive to the nearest postal office/etc., waiting in the holiday line, and not be compensated for it all.

Besides, I want to keep the darn thing, so if theres some law that allows me too, why not?

Why do you have to drive it anywhere? You do realize that FedEx, UPS and other major vendors will pick it up. Arrange with the company to come pick up the item to be shipped back to them.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Repackage it? Why did you open it? It said 46" on the box, and even if it didn't it was way too big a box for a 32".

Do the right thing and send it back. Or else pay for it in full.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Beev
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Thief would be the correct word.

No, it's not, it isn't even close as he didn't steal anything.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't send it back though. Ship it out, OP.

It doesn't? He's trying to keep an item that is not rightfully his. The company has refunded his money and has asked for the item back. They have agreed to pay for the return shipping.

Sounds like it to me.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
More about Spunky's compromise:

Call them and tell them you opened the box before you realized it was the wrong item. Tell them you'd rather just buy the 46" than send it back. Tell them you would appreciate a discount since this was their mistake. The discount should equal the loss they take on it now being an open box item (a couple hundred on a $1500 TV), plus the return shipping costs.

If you love it, pay for it.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Steve
Repackage it? Why did you open it? It said 46" on the box, and even if it didn't it was way too big a box for a 32".

Do the right thing and send it back. Or else pay for it in full.

This has me baffled too :confused:

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Amused

Call them and tell them you opened the box before you realized it was the wrong item. Tell them you'd rather just buy the 46" than send it back. Tell them you would appreciate a discount since this was their mistake. The discount should equal the loss they take on it now being an open box item (a couple hundred on a $1500 TV), plus the return shipping costs.

Excellent :thumbsup:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: theblackbox
too bad they can't affect your heat rating, i wouldn't trade with you...

He hasn't done anything wrong YET. He is having a moral dilemma and his little devil on the left shoulder is talking at the moment. That does not mean he won't do the right thing in the end.

We ALL agonize over moral dilemmas.

theblackbox

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2004

He hasn't done anything wrong YET. He is having a moral dilemma and his little devil on the left shoulder is talking at the moment. That does not mean he won't do the right thing in the end.

having the moral dilemma brings question to character. someone who is honest and respectable would make the choice before it was a choice. the fact that the OP is questioning if it is wrong to keep it says the thought passed through his mind. Thats the mind of a criminal.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
ROFL! i love it when nerds get all uppity :D

RETURN IT!!1!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

Here is my problem:

The OP would be in a rush to send it back if they had sent him too small of a TV. But because he is on the positive end, he is making a big deal about sending it back. While the retailer did make a mistake, the OP should have some integrity and do the right thing. This is the kind of thing that drives prices up. The retailer loses money on this deal and will have to make up for it somewhere else.

I hope the OP does keep it. I hope that every time he looks at it, he is reminded that not only did he screw the retailer, he screwed every other customer that is going to buy there. It should be a big shining example of how miserable of a person he is.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000

having the moral dilemma brings question to character. someone who is honest and respectable would make the choice before it was a choice. the fact that the OP is questioning if it is wrong to keep it says the thought passed through his mind. Thats the mind of a criminal.

I would think of keeping it, but you won't hear on the news of me robbing banks.

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002

Ok all I'm calling these people back up to negotiate keeping this thing legitimately...

Comparable BF ads have the 46" at $900, so should I offer $800?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Bah, no one is that perfect. We all have moral dilemmas, it's how we work them out that counts.

He knows what is right, he just loves the TV so much. It's understandable but what he does in the end will be the judge of his character, not the part of him that dreams of a free TV.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
They made a mistake and know it. They have your personal information. They may try to charge your credit card but they will probably send you a bill for the difference. If you refuse they will call a collection company. At that point you will have to pay the difference plus collection fees. If you refuse it goes on your public record as an unpaid obligation which can affect you any time credit checks are required! Is the TV really worth that?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

He needs to think about it in reverse. Say he ordered a 32" and they sent him a 24" instead. He'd be pissed to hell if they said "sorry, we accidently shipped a 24" and that's what you have to keep". He'd be screaming that they stole his money, yadda yadda yadda.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Ok all I'm calling these people back up to negotiate keeping this thing legitimately...

Ask them what the shipping costs would have been, then ask them how much they would have lost reselling the item as an open box item.

Then reach a compromise.

Good to see you're doing the right thing. :thumbsup:

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
Im with you op. Keep that shit. Although since they refunded you your money that might change things. But I still wouldnt send it back.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

No...you recognize the ethical point Amused made, but in reality you don't care. If you agreed then you'd go through the trouble of finding an adequate solution, because its simply the right thing to do.

You could probably arrange for them to have a courier come pick it up at their expense. Or, since you want to keep it, they could possibly discount the price difference on this item or discount another item you want.

It's amazing that you're really on the fence about whether or not to be a thief.

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006

Offer them $100 more then how much you paid for the 32".

Status
Not open for further replies.