any ideas why my car won't start after being unused for about two weeks?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I agree with low battery, but it could also be air in the fuel system. Sometimes if the car is sitting for a while you need to put the key in, turn on the ACC, and pump the gas a few times, then try to start it.
Myself, I quite often go for 2 weeks at a time without using my 1997 Mazda 626LX 4 cylinder sedan. Not a problem starting. When for seasonal reasons I use my car that infrequently, I usually put a slow charger on the battery to keep it charged. It's not so much that I'm afraid the car won't start, it's more to keep the charge high because the battery deteriorates at a much higher rate when its charge falls (which it will, due to slow decay from the clock or whatever). But even if I didn't have a charger on the battery, the car would start OK. If I had a so-so battery, that might be the case.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hi, I’ve got the same problem. Was working fine and left it for 2 weeks and now it cranks and cranks but doesn’t start. Tried jumping the battery and still doesn’t start. I get a smell of petrol when I keep cranking it and smoke comes out the exhaust.
It’s a Pajero sport 2008

Starter relay maybe shot.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
probably not applicable here since the necro poster is probably fuel injection, but a friend's ~'94 civic with carb had a stuck valve from lack of use leading to carbon deposits locking it up. hosing down the intake with brake cleaner[i think, or some heavy solvent] was the solution my cousin (who was the ultimate automotive fixit guy as can testified by anyone on oilburners forum) came up with. eventually the valve worked free with some hard revs.

edit: warning hose down with engine off first. then light spritz when gunning engine. flame hazzard potential.