any ideas why my car won't start after being unused for about two weeks?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
PM Alkemyst. He knows everything, and is always ready to help out with car problems.

BTW, couple questions:
  • Make?
  • Model?
  • Year?
  • Auto or Manual?
  • Engine spinning quickly?
  • Smell gas?
  • History of problems?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If your car won't start with the starter cranking, it sure as hell isn't going to start with a push-start.

Gas takes ~8 months to break down. That issue is usually only a problem with lawnmowers stored over the winter.

I think fuel pump or fuel filter. But knowing the year, make, and model of the car would be REALLY helpful here.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: fritolays
so it's not he battery

i called someone over and we tried to jump start the battery... no go.
Did you try to jump start the battery or the car? :confused:

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
What age/model/fuel is the car?

Ok, is there anything being expelled from the tail pipe? If so it is getting fuel, if not your problem is in the fuel system. If there is smoke then come back and tell us

Scofield968

Jan 3, 2019
Hi, I’ve got the same problem. Was working fine and left it for 2 weeks and now it cranks and cranks but doesn’t start. Tried jumping the battery and still doesn’t start. I get a smell of petrol when I keep cranking it and smoke comes out the exhaust.
It’s a Pajero sport 2008

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
find a hill, put the car at the top. put it in neutral. let the car get to a decent speed 5 or 10 then put it in drive with the ignition on and see if it will turn over. (works better with a manual)

I think its the gas. Gas breaks down after awhile. try putting something like fuel injector cleaner in or premium to try and get it to a level where it will ignite properly
Not after just 2 weeks.....gasoline takes a very long time to all of a sudden not be gasoline,,,,

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Hi, I’ve got the same problem. Was working fine and left it for 2 weeks and now it cranks and cranks but doesn’t start. Tried jumping the battery and still doesn’t start. I get a smell of petrol when I keep cranking it and smoke comes out the exhaust.
It’s a Pajero sport 2008
Try holding the throttle pedal to the floor while cranking it with a fully charged battery.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wonder if OP ever got his car to start. Judging by the age of this thread I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume a horse buggy. Were the horses fed? :p

I joke... but my car is a 2004 lol.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Think of it like an iphone. Battery isn't replaceable. Just throw it away and get a new one. Cheapass. :)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Not sure it qualifies as a necro since a new poster, #30, just posted with the same problem and people were answering him.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure it qualifies as a necro since a new poster, #30, just posted with the same problem and people were answering him.

That is basically where 99.5% of all necros come from. It doesn't matter why or how it was necroed; it is simply a "necro" because a _____-old thread is suddenly revived for any reason.

You can debate whether or not the necro is useful, but it is still a necro.

Reactions: spacejamz

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well that's a lesson to me then.

I wouldn't have called it a necro.

Is it better to start a new thread if you have the same problem?

Then again, the old problem was not resolved...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Well that's a lesson to me then.

I wouldn't have called it a necro.

Is it better to start a new thread if you have the same problem?

Then again, the old problem was not resolved...
Yes it's a Necro, no it's not better to start a new thread. We don't auto-lock old threads so that people with similar issues can use the old thread if they want.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I agree with low battery, but it could also be air in the fuel system. Sometimes if the car is sitting for a while you need to put the key in, turn on the ACC, and pump the gas a few times, then try to start it.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Maybe something with the Flux Capacitor? I'm sorry, I don't know how to get back to 2004!

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Post #30 from Jan 3/19 is a NEW problem that so far has NOT been answered. I agree that poster should have started a new thread, but that still is not an answer.

You post says the engine turns over well but you get no starting. You do smell gasoline. So you do NOT have a dead battery that needs replacement. And apparently you DO have fuel being delivered to the engine (and being exhausted unburned through the tail pipe). That leaves lots of other possibilities.

The suggestion to hold the gas pedal to the floor and turn the engine over continuously until it starts can work IF your car is old enough to have a carburetor. That technique can clear excess gas from a flooded engine so it will start. BUT it may not work for modern cars with fuel injection systems. You can try it. Be aware that it will drain your battery if you keep going. Be aware also that the starter motor can overheat, so it is recommended that you NOT keep it going for well over a minute or two at most. Also note this detail. FIRST push the gas pedal to the floor, and then HOLD it there ALL the time as you turn the key. Do not release the pedal or pump it until the engine does start. THEN slowly release the pedal to keep it going without over-revving the engine.

Before doing that I would want to check whether there really is any spark at the spark plugs. Failure to start can be caused by too much fuel (flooding), too little fuel, or no spark. If you know something about cars (or have a friend with some skill) check this first.

One other thought. Since you can smell gas, examine under the hood carefully for possible gasoline LEAKS. If something broke open and is spraying raw gasoline around, that is VERY dangerous and you must STOP until that problem can be found and fixed properly!

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It was working fine before I left.. now I come back and the car won't start.

Do I just need to jump start the battery?
It has been sitting in the outside parking lot
You mean you don't have a way to test the voltage across the terminals of your battery? I keep a cheap mulitimeter in the car for that purpose. Cost me maybe 3 bucks or free at Harbor Freight.