Any HVAC Experts in ATOT?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Trane used to be an industry leader (many years ago)

Damn! I am really sorry to hear this as the Trane heat pump we had installed thirty years ago still seems to be going strong.. In fact, the only problem we ever had was a result of work done on it to correct a reversing valve problem that turned out not to really exist. I know it has to quit on me someday and had penciled Trane in as the no-brainer replacement.

Nov 8, 2012
UPDATE: Ended up contacting our home builder - the home is currently ~9 years old, so if there is anything covered by a warranty of 10 years or whatever, it might be covered.

Guy came out today to look at mold stuff, and mold pictures - he wasn't an actual mold person. He agreed it looks like "an issue" to an extent, so now they have reached out and have hired a mold company that will come out and do an assessment. Seems like the best means to go at this point, since warranty coverage is obvious ideal to paying for crap ourselves.

Next step for me (regardless of mold results) is to hire another 2 different HVAC companies to give their assessment of what we should do.

Seem like a good plan?

Nov 8, 2012
By the way - One thing we noticed...

We installed Nest thermostats throughout the home to be able to control everything via Wifi - but we are also able to see... basically the downstairs unit turns on very little - but the upstairs unit is on for roughly 15 out of 24 hours a day. Seems a bit excessive no? At the same time, I somewhat understand - cold air naturally goes down to the first floor - so the first floor doesn't have to work as hard since the 2nd floor with partly cover for it... But still, 15 hours a day? I don't keep it at 68 degrees or anything, just a reasonable 73-76 depending on how I feel.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000

We installed Nest thermostats throughout the home to be able to control everything via Wifi - but we are also able to see... basically the downstairs unit turns on very little - but the upstairs unit is on for roughly 15 out of 24 hours a day. Seems a bit excessive no? At the same time, I somewhat understand - cold air naturally goes down to the first floor - so the first floor doesn't have to work as hard since the 2nd floor with partly cover for it... But still, 15 hours a day? I don't keep it at 68 degrees or anything, just a reasonable 73-76 depending on how I feel.

Whats the outside temperature right now? Is it close to highs for the summer? Could be a little low on 410a, did the other guys ever add any? Could be sized close for the second floor. My a/c will run 20 hours straight on a 95 degree day. Like I said in an earlier post its good for them. Its better to run than to start and stop all day. City vs highway miles kind of thing.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
It would be impossible to answer your question without knowing room layout and outside temps. Since you have that one unit dedicated to the master, for example, that might explain this behavior, depending on what floor it's on.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000

You need to have your refrigerant levels checked by a pro. They will be checking "Super heat" or "subcooling" at the outdoor unit. I have the tool to do it and it costs about $150 used on ebay.
You may be able to DIY a check by measuring the a/c inlet temp vs outlet temp. My leaking coil only had a difference of 5 degrees while the good unit was around 15 or so. I used a cheap laser thermometer but it was enough to tell there was a problem.

Nov 8, 2012
Further Update:

Apparently this mold is an issue that is happening across the neighborhood - and it's completely not normal given that the homes are only 10 years old. Turns out it looks like the home builders are *SOMEWHAT* doing the right thing - and when people put in a warranty claim they ARE replacing everything...The AC Units, duct work, etc...

Now we just have to prove that there is mold in the house - and they sent a mold inspection guy to our home to do the testing.

We will see how this goes...

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I've heard this is more of an issue in newer homes that are more air-tight. No clue how accurate that statement is.

Feb 4, 2009
I've heard this is more of an issue in newer homes that are more air-tight. No clue how accurate that statement is.

I’m a realtor and a builder said the same thing to me 3 months ago, he feels houses are being built too tight. He adds slow moving fans to all bathrooms that always run but he doubts they’ll be replaced when they stop functioning

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I’m a realtor and a builder said the same thing to me 3 months ago, he feels houses are being built too tight. He adds slow moving fans to all bathrooms that always run but he doubts they’ll be replaced when they stop functioning

Sucking more air out of the house doesn't help, its the opposite of what you want. Exhaust fans and dryers pull negative pressure on houses, which pulls humid outside air in through leaks in the house. You want a fresh air intake on the return of the HVAC system to put a positive pressure on the house. This allows the fresh air to be filtered and conditioned before its circulated around the house.

Reactions: herm0016

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You WANT airtight homes, that way they are more efficient, however you also want a HRV to bring in fresh air. Ex: it's much better to bring in fresh air in a controlled matter and retain the heat than to have it leak like a sieve.