Any gaming benefit i7 930-->2600k?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
No point in upgrading your CPU just yet but it may be logically justified to sell it, along with your X58 motherboard. The X58 platform is a dead-end and the longer you wait the harder it will be to sell it on eBay for good money.

selling and buying new is a good idea. If you time it right you can even make a profit. eBay is a terrible place to buy and an excellent to sell... people are very impulsive and typically buy at slightly lower than MSRP... which ends up being higher than what you can buy it new at a deal at some store or another (eg, follow slick deals).

Last edited:

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
selling and buying new is a good idea. If you time it right you can even make a profit. eBay is a terrible place to buy and an excellent to sell... people are very impulsive and typically buy at slightly lower than MSRP... which ends up being higher than what you can buy it new at a deal at some store or another (eg, follow slick deals).
Might not be as good as you think after factoring in the listing, final value and PayPal fees ;)
But yeah, it's convenient to sell stuff on eBay compared to CL or FS/FT. If someone bids, they'll have to buy/pay. No stonewalling or backsies.

eBay is great for buying some things too - replacement batts, cheap accessories from HK, etc.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Might not be as good as you think after factoring in the listing, final value and PayPal fees ;)

I am factoring those in. The only reason I don't do ebay more often is the amount of TIME I must spend on it. Even with closing fees, paypal fees, free shipping, etc you can still make a profit while upgrading your hardware.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
There is no way you will see a performance gain going to Sandy. Maybe 1fps faster at a crucial part of map. per say..

not even....

depending on the board and the features one has, and the number of gpu.

the 1366 can be faster even.

You need to really think of what the package as a total is capable of you guys.

1366 has MORE RAM... straight up, if your using a ram intensive, and ive seen myself use up to 6-8gigs when i have a lot of stuff open, 1366 wins.

When you have 4 video cards, 1366 wins.
If you need more threads, 1366 wins again.

In a durability run, id say 1366 will last LONGER then SB will even.

Remember 1366 was first fronted as a enterprise package, which consumers adapted.
1155 is straight up consumer with consumer in thought.... 1155 is 1156's replacement.. not 1366.

You want a 1366 replacement wait til 2011.

Last edited: