Any Doctors?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: iliopsoas
bah. noobie, if i was your attending, i'd send you off to do fecal disimpactions.

Oh god, you just reminded me of what I get to look forward to in an hour. I hate being the bitch...

Tinkerhell

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2003
Originally posted by: alkemyst
for those wondering about this condition: costochondritis

Thing is seriously who knows what it is she has with such limited description....

It's like saying sneezing sounds like a common cold. You'd be right some of the time, wrong a lot of the time with no further testing.

Å

In that description, it says there is a sharp pain. I do not get a sharp pain. Does the pain have to sharp in this condition?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Tinkerhell
Originally posted by: alkemyst
for those wondering about this condition: costochondritis

Thing is seriously who knows what it is she has with such limited description....

It's like saying sneezing sounds like a common cold. You'd be right some of the time, wrong a lot of the time with no further testing.

Å

In that description, it says there is a sharp pain. I do not get a sharp pain. Does the pain have to sharp in this condition?

The thing is is that's just a common and generic 'rib' pain and probably why it was suggested, I'd imagine any that work the ER or just hang out around doctors could probably hear enough "doc I got this pain in my ribs" which gets diagnosed as costochondritis and make an 'educated' guess...it's probably not what you have, although impossible to rule out...the sharp pain, the lump you spoke of, and the fact that you had it lower makes it sound different.

Without knowing what rib or between what ribs, where along the ribs (front / side / back), what the lump feels like anyone is guessing....common problem guesses have the best luck and best chance of making someone 'the interweb doctah'...you could have a 50 year top doctor and he'd be only guessing so far as well.

If you can find a site like this one: Abdominal Pain/Symptom/Condition Chart for the chest, you probably can narrow it down a lot. The lump is sort of a concern as it hurts....

Here are two chest/pain/symptom charts: acute , chronic

Have fun, don't scare yourself :)
Å

Tinkerhell

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2003
Do you think it could be angina?

Just some more backround on where it aches: It feels like it my last 2 ribs and underneath the ribs on the left side that goes from the frone left to the back

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

Just some more backround on where it aches: It feels like it my last 2 ribs and underneath the ribs on the left side that goes from the frone left to the back

Probably not. Angina produces a squeezing pain in the center of the chest, upper arm, neck, and jaw.

EDIT: It's high doubtful, but let's discuss Abdominal Angina. Does it hurt right after you eat? Do you smoke? Abdominal Angina is EXTREMELY rare, but as you aren't willing to go a doctor yet, let's discuss all things with in the realm of possibility.

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003
if you email/PM me i'll tell you the story of almost exactly what you're describing and what fixed it for me.

i just would rather not post it in public...

-TekChik

Tinkerhell

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2003
Originally posted by: TekChik
if you email/PM me i'll tell you the story of almost exactly what you're describing and what fixed it for me.

i just would rather not post it in public...

-TekChik

Emailed you :) Thanks!!

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001

It's most likely NOT angina. You're too young (in your 20s?) to be having any significant coronary disease. The symptoms are not consistent with angina as they appear to be constantly there and not worsen with increased activity. Mesenteric ischemia (insufficient blood flow to your gut) would also be unlikely. This normally involves severe pain after eating.

The fact that your pain is reproducible by pressing on your ribs and it changes with your lying position suggest that it's musculoskeletal. Now, I have no idea of this lump or bump that you're talking about. Maybe it's truly a mass or it's something totally innocuous.

Like I said previously, if you are concerned about this, go see your physician. Getting medical advice from an internet forum is worthless and it only fuels your worries. (First, it was just some rib pain; now you're worried about angina. Next thing, cancer?)

Tinkerhell

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2003
Originally posted by: eakers
is it worse after you eat?

sometimes if i eat things that can easily cause indigestion, in that area I sometimes get a achey cramp feeling that feels like that cramp you get after you run too much. And sometimes I get indigestion and burning in my throat, but i dont know if theres things are related or if thats a seperate problem.