Any benefit in upgrading to the GeForce GT 1030 card?

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I have a sff Lenovo workstation with a Core i7 4790 @ 3.60, 16GB RAM and I am using the onboard intel graphic 4600 for a Dell 27" 4K display with two displayport 1.2? each supplying 30 hertz to drive a 60 hertz output in 4K resolution. It has be faultless with no problems at all.

I am using my desktop workstation for only web browsing, Directtvnow streaming TV, watch online movies/videos e.g. Prime, Cinemax, etc... and YouTubing.

I was wonder what benefits if any; if would upgraded to a 2 GDDR5 1030 card shown below?

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-6332-KR

Or is there a better graphic card for me? I really would like to have both displayport, hdmi output.

Found this one to a 1050 shown below:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-6155-KR

but I don't think it a low profile card however.

Found one of these that seems to be perfect for outputs and low profile too:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1050OC-2GL#k

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-low-profile

I was going to pull the trigger but found out they are out of stock due to crypto mining maniac!

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
The 1030 would be a huge performance jump, but you don't seem to need such a jump.

That is true but 1030 does not include a displayport output! With the upcoming 1.5 version that is rumor to almost double the bandwidth too. I am happy to settle for the current 1.4. Not going into 8K for a while.

The only one that has everything in terms of output terminals is the 1050 and up models. The low profile 1050 are made noisier because they cut cost and left out the idle feature that would turn off the fan when not needed and they also went with cheap fan blade that are not design for noise reduction. I would have glad pay more for the adding in the two additions. All say that 300W power supply needed and video card draws 75W. My PC has only 240W and 40W on PCIe slot! Not sure it will work but some of the customer review say it will work with my 240W since that is their power supply too! No, I cannot upgrade my power supply since it is a Lenovo ThinkStation. Lenovo made sure of that since the just reverse the power leads from that of the universal power supply.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I don't think you would notice any real performance difference. The only time I have seen an HD4x00 slow down in day to day usage is when it is being used for multiple monitors and each monitor had different videos playing that were each using hardware acceleration.

A GT 1030 would be a faster card, but not worth it IMO. Its about half as fast a GTX 750Ti, which is getting to be quite old itself. A 1050/1050Ti (Which successor of the 750Ti) would be great if you plan on having another display at some point. But it will *NOT* be fast enough for any games at native 4k resolution. But fine for a lot of games if you want to downscale to 1080.

So, I say if things are working fine for you now, leave it be. If you really want to spend some money, then go for a 1050 or the like.

Reactions: Harry_Wild

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I don't think you would notice any real performance difference. The only time I have seen an HD4x00 slow down in day to day usage is when it is being used for multiple monitors and each monitor had different videos playing that were each using hardware acceleration.

A GT 1030 would be a faster card, but not worth it IMO. Its about half as fast a GTX 750Ti, which is getting to be quite old itself. A 1050/1050Ti (Which successor of the 750Ti) would be great if you plan on having another display at some point. But it will *NOT* be fast enough for any games at native 4k resolution. But fine for a lot of games if you want to downscale to 1080.

So, I say if things are working fine for you now, leave it be. If you really want to spend some money, then go for a 1050 or the like.

Thanks for your comment! I think you are right! I will probably wait until the next generation 1050 model card gets updated with GDDR6 in three years from now is my guess and they fix the noise issues and maybe it will be built in 7 nm form factor by then too, so power limitation will drop to my PCIe 40W. The crypto currency mining really has made more powerful graphic card in short supply and even the 1050 is had to come by. Love to buy one three years from now for $75! That would be idea with sales tax and shipping all total around the $100!

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
That is true but 1030 does not include a displayport output! With the upcoming 1.5 version that is rumor to almost double the bandwidth too. I am happy to settle for the current 1.4. Not going into 8K for a while.

The only one that has everything in terms of output terminals is the 1050 and up models. The low profile 1050 are made noisier because they cut cost and left out the idle feature that would turn off the fan when not needed and they also went with cheap fan blade that are not design for noise reduction. I would have glad pay more for the adding in the two additions. All say that 300W power supply needed and video card draws 75W. My PC has only 240W and 40W on PCIe slot! Not sure it will work but some of the customer review say it will work with my 240W since that is their power supply too! No, I cannot upgrade my power supply since it is a Lenovo ThinkStation. Lenovo made sure of that since the just reverse the power leads from that of the universal power supply.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137139

GT1030 with displayport.

Reactions: Harry_Wild

Guru

May 5, 2017
The only difference will be if you watch extremely high quality videos, we are talking 4k 30k bit ones with hardware acceleration, an IGP would not be able to handle such videos and you will have some lag.

Obviously editing videos and using the Nvidia codecs will increase your decoding speed immensely, image creation and editing will benefit from it, etc...

But in terms of day to day stuff, normal stuff, average stuff there won't be any difference. Again a dedicated GPU does provide a lot more power, but since you don't play games or use it from video/image editing/creation, then you don't need it.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
The only difference will be if you watch extremely high quality videos, we are talking 4k 30k bit ones with hardware acceleration, an IGP would not be able to handle such videos and you will have some lag.

Obviously editing videos and using the Nvidia codecs will increase your decoding speed immensely, image creation and editing will benefit from it, etc...

But in terms of day to day stuff, normal stuff, average stuff there won't be any difference. Again a dedicated GPU does provide a lot more power, but since you don't play games or use it from video/image editing/creation, then you don't need it.

I been watching online 4K movies on my 4K Dell display no lags at all along with my 4K TV! Resolution is 3840 x 2160. Screen Refresh Rate set to: 60 Hertz. I have upgraded my Wi-Fi service to business class, however. Everything is now pretty much instantaneous unless there is a problem on the provider end but that has never happen yet! I have not had any problems since I made the switch over and that been 6 months. I used to have all sort of issues when I was in consumer Wi-Fi service plan. It would slow down, video would lock up and buffering would happen from time to time. No more of that with the big step up in speed!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Found out that I been using only one displayport 1.2 cable! I alway thought it was two all this time!:D No need to update to new video card anymore unless I get a UHDTV!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I have decided to upgrade to MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDRR5 128-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 Low Profile Graphics Card. I think it will be faster because of the GDDR5 memory and will get it set for 4K streaming videos too!

Reactions: happy medium

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I talk to several tech knowledgeable people and they told me to stick with my HD4600 from Intel i7 4790 CPU with 32GB DDR3 1600mhz speed over MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDRR5 128-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 Low Profile Graphics Card.

My use is for doing internet surfing like web browsing and YouTube videos and Direct TV Now and HBO, Cinemax. etc... Maybe Netflix in the future in 4K!

I forgot to ask them if my webpages would be the same speed in rendering or if my 4K videos would be same quality and speed.

Can anyone share their thoughts on speed of both on IGP vs. discrete graphic card like that above?

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Netflix 4K requires 7th Gen Core chip or better.
HD4600 is an iffy proposition for 4K anyway.

I'd get one of the minimum video cards that supports 4K streaming.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I have that MSI GT 1030 with DP. It's a very cool little card, even supports G-SYNC, though NVIDIA's documentation says it doesn't.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I have that MSI GT 1030 with DP. It's a very cool little card, even supports G-SYNC, though NVIDIA's documentation says it doesn't.

Can you provide a more descriptive details on how your 1030 in regards to web surfing speed, video streaming compare to what you had before this card?

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Netflix 4K requires 7th Gen Core chip or better.
HD4600 is an iffy proposition for 4K anyway.

I'd get one of the minimum video cards that supports 4K streaming.

It am already streaming Amazon Prime 4K movies along with YouTube 4K content with no problems using HD4600 with zero problem. I think it more to do with internet speed then graphic card in that regard. About a year ago, I accepted a promo on entry level business class - up to 1GB and it been flowing smooth, very little ISP downtime and almost no crashes. Consumer internet service was the pits! It just expensive now that the promotional price expired. LOL!

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
No Difference!

Got done with the boot and web surfing and intense photo and video embedded pages with my GXT 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 and it was around the same speed as my HD4600 IGP. I did the testing for about a hour swapping and using a stop watch and it was with in a second or less in acceleration of the boot and no difference in the web surfing and intense photo and video embedded page.

I am going to return the GTX 1050 TI and stick with my motherboard IGP! Just find it hard to believe until I actually did the test and saw the result for myself! Still am in the state of being shocked! :eek: I think the CPU had a lot to do with results. It is a 4790 and has 32GB of RAM on board!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No Difference!

Got done with the boot and web surfing and intense photo and video embedded pages with my GXT 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 and it was around the same speed as my HD4600 IGP. I did the testing for about a hour swapping and using a stop watch and it was with in a second or less in acceleration of the boot and no difference in the web surfing and intense photo and video embedded page.

I am going to return the GTX 1050 TI and stick with my motherboard IGP! Just find it hard to believe until I actually did the test and saw the result for myself! Still am in the state of being shocked! :eek: I think the CPU had a lot to do with results. It is a 4790 and has 32GB of RAM on board!

Honestly, that's a bit surprising. I can tell the difference between an Intel iGPU (a newer one!), and a GTX 1030 card (a lesser card than that).

Did you look at the difference in CPU usage when playing back 4K YT videos? You will need that card for 4K Netflix, your iGPU won't be able to play it back.

Edit: You DID remember, to unplug the monitor's HDMI cable, from the mobo's iGPU output, and plug it into the video card's output, RIGHT?

Reactions: Alusan

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Honestly, that's a bit surprising. I can tell the difference between an Intel iGPU (a newer one!), and a GTX 1030 card (a lesser card than that).

Did you look at the difference in CPU usage when playing back 4K YT videos? You will need that card for 4K Netflix, your iGPU won't be able to play it back.

Edit: You DID remember, to unplug the monitor's HDMI cable, from the mobo's iGPU output, and plug it into the video card's output, RIGHT?

I have displayport 1.2? 3,840 pixels x 2,160 pixels setup @ 60hz on my Dell 2715Q PC 4K monitor. I may resubscribe to Netflix after this year just to see their 4K offerings. It been several years since I was a member.

Never thought about CPU usage. Never use HDMI since I heard it was an inferior standard to displayport. When I try my displayport to hdmi cable 4K@60hz, it did not recognize the input on my Dell display and warn that it going go to sleep in 5 minutes on the screen. LOL.

Shown below is a link to Intel HD4600 specs:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/hd-graphics-4600.c1994

Answered: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/603683-intel-hd-4600-and-4k/

Go to display and Audio Features Comparison(half way down)
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

Conclusion -> :):):):):) -> Intel HD Graphics 4600 can do the following:
DisplayPort 1.2/eDP H-Processors: 3840x2160@60Hz
(Ultra-HD)

Last edited:

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I still use my HD 4000 iGPU for playing and editing 4k60 videos. My GT 240M in my ancient laptop can do 4k30 playback, but at 4k60, I can only do 66% speed.

I don't have good enough internet for 4k streaming on Netflix, but downloading 4k videos or editing my own 4k content is no problem on the older hardware.

My Note 4 outputting at 2160p30 on my 4k display can playback 4k videos.

But I would check again to see if you had DisplayPort cable hooked up to the 1050 ti, with the drivers installed. Being able to stream Netflix at 4k is pretty sweet.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I still use my HD 4000 iGPU for playing and editing 4k60 videos. My GT 240M in my ancient laptop can do 4k30 playback, but at 4k60, I can only do 66% speed.

I don't have good enough internet for 4k streaming on Netflix, but downloading 4k videos or editing my own 4k content is no problem on the older hardware.

But I would check again to see if you had DisplayPort cable hooked up to the 1050 ti, with the drivers installed. Being able to stream Netflix at 4k is pretty sweet.
If I do run into problems, I certainly upgrade to a discrete graphics card. I did not download the Nvidia 1050 TI drivers for it while I did the testing. I fear that the driver may be problematic if I decided not to keep the 1050 and continue to use my IGP. I may buy this card later on when the new 2019 graphic cards get release into online stores and the 1050 price goes back to 2016 release date prices - $120 entry level models. My cost $160.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I did not download the Nvidia 1050 TI drivers for it while I did the testing.
Uhh, no offense, but no wonder the video card didn't seem any better than the iGPU. Well, maybe. Windows 10 automagically installs drivers, or should. Did you check Device Manager, to see if it was running NVidia drivers at all, or MS Basic Display Adapter (VGA)?

Reactions: Tup3x

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
My work laptop has a HD 4600 and there's a very noticeable lag in comparison to discrete GPU system. Just dragging Windows 10 calculator around lacks. On top if it it doesn't decode any modern video codecs. Just h264. VP9 would offer better quality on YouTube. Also I don't really like how Intel does video processing. Not as good as Nvidia or AMD.

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012

I watched Tom Clancy’s Amazon Prime movie a our specialized end of world team for keeping order and it is 4K and works great on my HD4600.

I may buy the crippled GTX 1050 3GB low profile because of the price anyways, just hard to pass up.