Any benefit in upgrading to the GeForce GT 1030 card?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just saying, I'm not running Norton, and I don't get malware and spyware. I do run Malwarebytes from time to time (monthly). Doesn't usually find anything.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Just saying, I'm not running Norton, and I don't get malware and spyware. I do run Malwarebytes from time to time (monthly). Doesn't usually find anything.

Maybe you not using the highest grade anti malware program. These is tons upon tons of adware that are embedded in any download and some do not get activate immediately either now. Some are embedded deep in the registry. It getting pretty hard to detect and removal it quite complicated with four to five reboots, safe mode, etc... All adware software are commercially produced by big buck data collection companies that cost then tens of millions of dollars to write.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Maybe you not using the highest grade anti malware program.
... not sure that I should be taking malware defense suggestions, from someone constantly battling it, and who can't even tell the difference in performance between a Haswell iGPU and a GTX 1050.

May I suggest you read "Antivirus considered harmful"? And consider the "attack surface", and that some malware explicitly targets Norton, to let them in?

Of course, if you surf the High Seas (Arrr!), then, yeah, load up on protection, I guess.

Reactions: heymrdj

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
... not sure that I should be taking malware defense suggestions, from someone constantly battling it, and who can't even tell the difference in performance between a Haswell iGPU and a GTX 1050.

May I suggest you read "Antivirus considered harmful"? And consider the "attack surface", and that some malware explicitly targets Norton, to let them in?

Of course, if you surf the High Seas (Arrr!), then, yeah, load up on protection, I guess.

Because of your negativeness on Norton’s, I told them that I not going to be renewing at the end of January and just purchase 6 month subscription to my previous VPN.

In regard to IGP and 1050, it not faster but slower according to some studies due to loading of the bigger drivers and distance of the PCI compare to being next to the CPU in the IGP. Speed is the speed of the system RAM not of the 1050 RAM.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Because of your negativeness on Norton’s, I told them that I not going to be renewing at the end of January and just purchase 6 month subscription to my previous VPN.

In regard to IGP and 1050, it not faster but slower according to some studies due to loading of the bigger drivers and distance of the PCI compare to being next to the CPU in the IGP. Speed is the speed of the system RAM not of the 1050 RAM.
That last bit is gobbledygook.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Norton is fine, it is lighter than many alternative solution (including Windows Defender) and has solid detection. I use Norton myself. However, if you constantly download malware you are doing it wrong and probably lack some pretty basic "internet reading skills" (or you do not understand what the AV is trying to tell you, i.e. warns about executable that is somewhat unkown because of small userbase/"too new").

I boot my PC once per day. It takes seconds from cold boot to desktop. I don't really get it how something like that is even important. For desktop pc. Even if it would be instant it wouldn't make any real difference.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Norton is fine, it is lighter than many alternative solution (including Windows Defender) and has solid detection. I use Norton myself. However, if you constantly download malware you are doing it wrong and probably lack some pretty basic "internet reading skills" (or you do not understand what the AV is trying to tell you, i.e. warns about executable that is somewhat unkown because of small userbase/"too new").

I boot my PC once per day. It takes seconds from cold boot to desktop. I don't really get it how something like that is even important. For desktop pc. Even if it would be instant it wouldn't make any real difference.

Without Norton and iTunes in my Startup routine, boot up is noticeably faster. I took Apple iTune out of the StartUp routine too so it maybe iTunes too. But overall, I think I reduce 5 seconds of the delay. I talking about the curser displaying the turning wheel indicating it is loading stuff still.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Make sure you aren't in Windows Power saver mode.

Maybe run Crystal Diskmark on your SSD just to make sure it's performing well.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
The performance about 35% faster after removing the Startup apps that slow the PC down. Use Norton by running it with no automatic background and it found “zero” problems. Boot up is faster to 12 second judging by cursor arrow and web page rendering is instantaneous! Really love it. With VPN, I took the highest speed option and it is great! Foreign 3rd world countries are still a crawl. Australia and most parts of EU are fast! Very happy now!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
You could just leave your PC on all the time :p

I like to turn it when it not in use. Saves electricity and may prevent potential hacking! I kind of like to see how fast it boots up and see everything energized including my wi-fi logging on to start at the bottom right hand icon. It turns off, it seems to that that much time too. I have test that to see if it just software upgrades happening or that no regular events.

Update: I really like my PC now! Overall, faster from boot up and web surfing is safer with VPN. Of course, it is pricier too. In the Summer months I will be switchin back to anti- virus/malware software since I do not use my PC that much.

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
The 1050ti card has quieted down and it almost the same decibel as a IGP. I think it renders images in more sharper detail and I have the full 32GB back available now too. Maybe the webpage rendering maybe a little faster too.

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
The 1050ti card has quieted down and it almost the same decibel as a IGP. I think it renders images in more sharper detail and I have the full 32GB back available now too. Maybe the webpage rendering maybe a little faster too.
I have my MSI 1050ti overclocked by +150 Mhz core clock and +500 Mhz memory using afterburner.